FNST Exam

GJS77
GJS77 Registered Posts: 10 New contributor 🐸
Hello All,

I am due to sit my FNST exam in December, which will be the first at level 4. I passed all level 2 & 3
exams first time, but have to admit I am finding FNST a bit of a struggle so far - its definately
stepped up a gear. I had to take a break for a year after completing level 3 due to work commitments
which certainly didn't help matters.

Producing financial statements, cash flows etc should be OK. The problem is the IFRS's and IAS's, which are proving rather difficult to remember. Can anyone who has sat this exam since the changes in
September give me some advise on what I need to be focusing on?? How in depth are the theory
questions on IFRS's and IAS's, and how much of the exam do they make up?

I am a distance learning student, studying through Kaplan.

Any advise, from those who have recently sat this unit would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Gav

Comments

• Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Hello Gav

You could try completing a search on the forum for posts regarding FNST, there are plenty!

There are lots of hints, tips etc. which you will find helpful.

Try and find the post by Steve Collings regarding this exam. Steve includes a link to an article that he wrote which is fantastic.

Good luck with the exam.

JC
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • GJS77
    Thanks Jo - I found the article written by Steve Collings, its very helpful indeed.

Gav
  • paulapudding
    paulapudding Registered Posts: 13 Regular contributor ⭐
    AAT FNST Webinar

Hiya Gav,

not sure when you're exam in December is, but I had an email from AAT yesterday about an hour long webinar they are doing for FNST, on Wednesday 5th December at 7.30pm. I've registered for this, as I take this exam late December, with college.

HTH, Paula
  • GJS77
    Hi Paula,

My exam is on 13th December. I also received the webinar email, so will definitely be registering for it.

Gav
  • Steve Collings
    Steve Collings Registered Posts: 997 Epic contributor 🐘
    GJS77 wrote: Β»
    Thanks Jo - I found the article written by Steve Collings, its very helpful indeed.

Gav

Thank you - I am glad you found it helpful :)

Good luck for your exam.

Steve
  • missm4ry4m
    missm4ry4m Registered Posts: 177 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Hello

There is also an event being held in Birmingham on Tuesday 4th Dec at BPP, 5-9pm. It's a revision event covering Financial Statements, Financial Performance and the ICAS project.
  • wendy67
    wendy67 Registered Posts: 10 New contributor 🐸
    i recieved an invite and received a registered email, but this afternoon received a message stating its over subcribed! so im not on it. Exam date is 13th Dec and really disappointed that im not included on it.
  • anniebabe
    anniebabe Registered Posts: 595 Epic contributor 🐘
    I got that email too - which i found really odd, because i had already received an email a week ago with acceptance and a password for the event. So havent got a clue whats going on.
  • maturestudent
    maturestudent Registered Posts: 4 New contributor 🐸
    I am in the same situation ! I have tried again for the webinar on the 10th December, so will have to wait and see.
  • janwal
    janwal Registered Posts: 1,189 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    I have also had the email and have re-registered for the 10th, this may be better for me as the other was night before Budgeting exam.
  • paulapudding
    paulapudding Registered Posts: 13 Regular contributor ⭐
    Same here, webinar overbooked... Unable to register for the 10th due to being at college.

Does anyone know if, as a student, we can view it through CPD, as it said on the email?
  • StuartW
    StuartW Registered Posts: 472 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Hi all,

Regarding the webinar - you're not the only ones who are confused by this. I've given an explanation to another member on Facebook today, but to summarise:
    • We received more demand for this webinar than we were set up to accommodate
    • Unfortunately we mistakenly sent out reminder emails to people who couldn't attend
    • However, we will be providing a recording of this webinar; and a recording of a similar webinar the following week
    Apologies for the confusion and any frustration caused here - hopefully everyone who wants to see the webinar should find a way to do so.

I'd also suggest you check out the AAT e-learning resources on Financial Statements, if you haven't already; here's a summary of Steve Collings's tips on AAT Comment; and as mentioned previously in this thread, if you're near the Midlands our Birmingham branch has a Level 4 revision event next week.

Thanks

Stuart
  • GJS77
    I was unable to register for the Webinar on the 5th due to it being overbooked. Is the one on the 10th also fully
    booked?? If not how do I register, as I only received an email invitation for the 5th??

Thanks
    Gav
  • Ben Saffell
    Ben Saffell Registered Posts: 10 Regular contributor ⭐
    Hi Gav

There are still spaces available on the 10 December webinar. You can register for the Financial statements webinar here

Spaces are limited so I would recommend registering as soon as you can.

A recording of the 5 December webinar will also be available to view online on 6 December. We will email you to let you know when it is available.

Ben Saffell

Membership Services Assistant
  • Loz1234
    Loz1234 Registered Posts: 50 Regular contributor ⭐
    Ben Saffell

Can you also let me know when its available on 6th December?

I was going to register tonight for the 5th as I've got my exam next week.

Many thanks

Laura
  • wbauk2002
    wbauk2002 Registered Posts: 110 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Sat the exam today, its still very much the same as the practice exams on aat so not much different, I had 4 written elements, just look at which IAS and IFRS are accessible, its only IFRS 3 and 12 or 13 IAS's
  • GJS77
    Hi Ben,

Thanks for posting that link - I have just registered and received the confirmation email too.

Gav
  • GJS77
    Sat the exam today, its still very much the same as the practice exams on aat so not much different, I had 4 written elements, just look at which IAS and IFRS are accessible, its only IFRS 3 and 12 or 13 IAS's

What percentage of the exam is made up of IAS/IFRS and ratio questions??

Thanks
    Gav
  • Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    There are questions in part 1 and part 2 of the exam relating to IAS/IFRS and ratios. Some of the questions may be multiple choice or drop down option boxes, whereas others will require you to write about a ratio or standard. I don't know if there is an actual percentage assigned to them.
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
Privacy Policy