Vat Submission Deadlines

Pixie1
Pixie1 Registered Posts: 24 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
Hi All,

Please could someone confirm....

If you file VAT on line do you have until the 7th to submit and to get the payment in?

I have been told it has to be submitted by the 31st and then the 7 days are to get the payment accross? But after reading the HMRC im not so sure?:001_unsure: Please could someone confirm.

Return in question: Nov 12 (Monthly Return Basis)

Many Thanks,

Pixie

Comments

• jenny3549
    jenny3549 Registered Posts: 472 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Hi Pixie,

You have until the 31st of the month to submit. Doing it online just means that you are not subject to the vagaries of the post. If you pay online you have until the 7th to pay unlike paying by cheque when they must receive this by 31st also.
  • Pixie1
    http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/managing/returns-accounts/deadlines.htm

I think the HMRC information is misleading.

Thank you for your reply.
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    I believe return and payment have to be received by the 7th of the following month.
  • Rozzi Rainbow
    Rozzi Rainbow Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    I believe return and payment have to be received by the 7th of the following month.

This is what I always thought too. I have often submitted returns in the first seven days of the month, and not been aware of any problems. That HMRC link above states "You get seven extra calendar days to submit your online return and up to seven extra calendar days to pay any VAT due electronically". When you submit via HMRC's own website (as opposed to third party software) the due date on the return shows as the 7th.
  • Pixie1
    Thanks guys.

I read it as bing the 7th. But keep getting mixed opinions? Work colleagues have said it to be end of the following month and that the seven extra days are for payment only? :confused1:

I guess the best bet is to call hmrc - and clarify.

Many Thanks
  • mini_schnauzer
    mini_schnauzer Registered Posts: 347 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    If you file vat return via paper then at end of the month 31st.
    If you file via online then by 7th of next month, along with payment.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/managing/returns-accounts/deadlines.htm#1
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    File online by 7th, payment to reach HMRC by 7th. If a Direct Debit is set up, HMRC will take payment on or around the 10th, so this is by far the best way to pay.
  • T.C.
    T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Agree with Monsoon!
  • Pixie1
    Thanks all for your replies :-)
  • JodieR
    JodieR Registered Posts: 1,002 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Monsoon wrote: Β»
    If a Direct Debit is set up, HMRC will take payment on or around the 10th, so this is by far the best way to pay.

... so long as there's money in the account to pay it!.... and they haven't forgotten about the DD and paid it already...
Privacy Policy