Ask your question

AAT
AAT Administrator, Tutor Posts: 102 🤖 Admin 🤖
Do you have a question about AAT membership which is not covered in this forum?

Add a comment and we'll either answer it ourselves, or enlist someone from the AAT community to share their knowledge and experience.

Comments

• AlixM
    AlixM Registered Posts: 1 New contributor 🐸
    Should I renew?

I'm just finishing my AAT level 4 with no plans to study further, I was wondering is it compulsory to renew my student membership? Would I still be able to work in an accounts firm without it? Also if I didn't renew, would my AAT number stay linked to me and just dormant or would I get a new number if I join again? As my account has all my exam results on. I don't have any experience to upgrade my membership and don't want to pay for another year if I don't need it.
  • Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Hello AlixM

As far as I know it is not compulsory to renew your student membership, however there are many benefits to becoming either an Affiliate member or a Full member (MAAT) depending on whether/when you have met the entry requirements.

Rather than me type out all the details, benefits, etc, take a look here http://www.aat.org.uk/membership/affiliate-membership

You can also spread the cost of membership and receive a discount (I think) if you pay by direct debit.

Hope this helps.

JC :o
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    You may also find this link useful http://www.aat.org.uk/qualifications/aat-fees

If you don't renew your membership, there is a charge of £45 (currently) to be reinstated. Your membership number will remain the same.

Student and affiliate subscription fees are reviewed on 1 September, at the start of each academic year.
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • CeeJaySix
    CeeJaySix Registered Posts: 645
    If you are/want to work in practice, you'll find most firms will pay your subs for you anyway if that makes the decision any easier!
    Newbie Registered Posts: 229 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    AAT membership is excellent value, the branch network offers loads of free CPD which will be valued by your employer. In my view its well worth the money
  • HarryMcintyre
    HarryMcintyre Registered Posts: 2
    I have just started AAT level 2 at college, and the tutor told me to sign up to AAT... i assume he meant this website? Is this correct?
    I am still in my early stages of learning and I have my first exams in December, and I am keen to get plenty of practice doing exam type questions, mock exams etc... if i signed up is this something I would get from signing up?
  • MarieNoelle
    MarieNoelle Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,368
    edited October 2014
    Hi @HarryMcintyre and welcome!
    This is the AAT forums, you would need to register with the AAT (https://www.aat.org.uk) and pay your student membership fees.
    Once registered you will have access to practice questions, however you can also use this forum if you need help with a topic (in the dedicated Student members category).

Good luck!
  • HarryMcintyre
    HarryMcintyre Registered Posts: 2
    Thank you for ur reply. I think it could help towards my studying to join up and do plenty of practice questions..
  • angiet
    angiet Registered Posts: 8 New contributor 🐸
    Hi, how long does it take to reinstate membership, I have had some long term health issues and AAT membership was the last thing I was worried about but I'm now ready to sit my level 3 exams.

Obviously I can't do this without membership and I'd like to sit an exam in 4 weeks. Is this enough time to get membership sorted out?
  • MarieNoelle
    MarieNoelle Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,368
    I'd give AAT a phone call :)
  • StuartW
    StuartW Registered Posts: 472 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    @angiet You should be able to reinstate your membership within 10-14 days. Complete the AAT student reinstatement form and email it to membershipsupport@aat.org.uk to get the process underway.

If you have any queries around reinstating you can call our team on (0)20 3735 2468, between 09.00 - 17.00, Monday-Friday.
  • NeilH
    NeilH Registered Posts: 553 Epic contributor 🐘
    Hi

I was an MAAT several years ago and have since gone on to qualify with CIMA, letting my MAAT lapse.

I've recently enquired about reinstating my MAAT and was emailed the forms, I also note that there is a direct entry to MAAT available for CIMA qualified members. However, as a previous MAAT I need to complete a rather long form detailing my CPD, work experience, soft skill competences and technical competence. Whilst I appreciate this is appropriate in some respects (lapsed member etc.), I'm at a loss as to why I need to complete a rather convoluted application process whereas if I was "just" CIMA qualified I could compete a much simpler application process with my CIMA membership evidencing my work experience, skills and CPD.

In summary, it seems there's an inconsistent approach to granting membership: as a previous MAAT I seem to have to "jump through more hoops" than an ICAEW/ACCA/CIMA direct entrant just because I've also completed the AAT qualification - shouldn't this be the other way around? It makes me question if the membership process is fair and therefore worthwhile.

Neil
  • kelove1
    kelove1 Registered Posts: 16 New contributor 🐸
    I am now going on the level 3 and wondering do I still need to pay the one off admin fee if I've already done level 2? If not how do I get this to come off when I register on the website for the level 3 membership?
  • ChristianB
    ChristianB Registered Posts: 197 Epic contributor 🐘
    Hi @kelove1

The admission fee is just a one-off fee. It sounds like you're trying to register for another account, which you don't have to do.

You already have an account with us from when you studied Level 2. You may need to renew or reinstate your student membership depending on when you started Level 2. If you need to reinstate your membership, there is a small reinstatement fee.

Log on to MyAAT and see what options are available on the right hand side, it will state whether you need to reinstate or renew your membership. If it doesn't say anything, your membership is still valid and you can simply commence your Level 3 studies, either with your previous training provider or a new one.

Many thanks.
    I have now left AAT. If you require any assistance with the forums, please contact membership support: https://www.aat.org.uk/contact-us
  • MrsRG
    MrsRG Registered Posts: 3
    Hi,

I am fairly new to aat and passed my first level 2 exam yesterday, Basic costing. What I wanted to know is do you have to sit all the modules for level 2 within a certain amount of time? I don't intend to drag it out but I am working full time so I am studying when I can fit it in around work.

Also I wanted to know is there a specific order I should study the modules in?

My final question was I got a competent result, what are the different levels of results that you can achieve? Is it possible to get a break down of the questions in the exam I took so I can see what I answered and where I went wrong? Kaplan did give me a screen print advising when I met/exceeded each question but I can t remember what the questions were that I fell below standards on.

Thanks
  • ChristianB
    ChristianB Registered Posts: 197 Epic contributor 🐘
    edited April 2015
    Hi @MrsRG

There is no time limit in which you have to pass all of your assessments. However, you do have to renew your student membership every year, as you have to be a member to take assessments.

There is no particular order in which you should study the units in. Your training provider/tutor will likely have their own recommendations.

Results are marked simply as competent or not competent. As you have stated, your training provider can give you further information as to how you did in each section. Since the qualification is competency-based no individual marks are given.

Congratulations on passing your first assessment.

Regards
    I have now left AAT. If you require any assistance with the forums, please contact membership support: https://www.aat.org.uk/contact-us
  • jmorgo7
    jmorgo7 Registered Posts: 18
    Hi,

Are the Level 4 Business Skills units compulsory?

I am an apprentice and they were introduced just as I started level 4. I have finished all the accounting units and have started the business skills units but a lot of the work seems like it is going to be very difficult to complete.

I work in a very small team and the units require us to deliver a presentation to at least three people and hold a workshop to show evidence we can do this, which would mean taking other people away from their work.

I'm also unsure of the benefit from the actual qualification, there is little information about it online and I don't see an employer distinguishing between an apprentice who completed their level 4 before these extra units were introduced and one who completed it after.

It just seems like the whole qualification was rushed in to meet government guidelines with no thought towards how different one students workplace can be compared to another.
  • clees
    clees Registered Posts: 33
    hi im an apprentice studying level 2,
    im on a one year contract with my employer, but want to study levels 3 and 4 after this.
    how likely am i to get a job that will allow me time to study for these instead of studying from home?

and also what kind of job and paygrade should i be expecting to get after level 2?
  • StuartW
    StuartW Registered Posts: 472 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Hi @clees - there are definitely opportunities out there with employers who fund and support AAT studies beyond level 2. The challenge is to find them and make sure your application stands out and puts you ahead of the competition. Gaining work experience already is a great start on that front, so make sure you emphasise this on your CV and cover letter.

You might find these links useful for your job search strategy: In terms of how much you can expect to earn, this varies by location. We have a new member salary survey coming out soon, but until then here's the 2013 version which might be useful.

Hope that's of some help - best of luck!

Stuart

• tylerr345
    tylerr345 Registered Posts: 18
    Hi,

I am studying for my AAT Level 2 and have just purchased my first membership. When i log in it still asks me to purchase membership. How can i get around this as i have already paid and have my confirmation email etc.

Thank you
    Tyler
  • SianaT
    SianaT Registered Posts: 30 🤖 Admin 🤖
    Hi @tylerr345 - sorry about that. It sounds like there might be an issue with your records on our system. Please call us on 0207 397 3000 so we can sort this out for you.
  • gabriellenlewis
    gabriellenlewis Registered Posts: 129
    Hi, I'm currently self-studying for level 4 however the ISYS project apparently requires a training provider so I was wondering if anyone knew whether First Intuition or any other offer this module on its on to be paid in instalments?
    Thanks.
  • Adele69
    Adele69 Registered Posts: 320
    I have my first L4 exam at a local FI centre next week but might be too distracted to remember to ask and I'm some way off doing ISYS though will need to know where I can do this.
  • Deaniedani
    Deaniedani Registered Posts: 26
    I'm trying to update my employment details, but when I put the company name in it, which aat brings up i click on it but its not accepted because of the symbol &. I've tried changing it but when i put the details in that is required it still wont let me update it. What do I need to do?
  • Ellada
    Ellada Registered Posts: 43
    edited August 2017
    I set my L3 synoptic exam on 15th July and waiting for the result which I will find out the earliest by the end of August. My membership is expiring on 1st September. I am not going to take L4 this year. If I fail my exam and want to re-set it, do I still need to update (pay) my membership for the whole year? plus re-set fee, of course...
  • AAT_Team
    AAT_Team Administrator Posts: 502 🤖 Admin 🤖
    Hi @Ellada - yes you'll need an active membership for the year if you need to re-sit any assessments.
  • mil07
    mil07 Registered Posts: 4
    Hi i am starting level 3 soon and have to renew my membership one of the questions have you made arrangements with your creditors ? I have recently seen defaults on my credit file and have contacted the companies and have made weekly payments to them. Do i tick yes to the made arrangements with your creditors question ?
Privacy Policy