X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goths - Whatever next .... Scots????

Was anyone else dissapointed to see yet another "goths can be accountants too" article in the AAT magazine? It seems so self obsessed and to be honest, immature. I couldn't care less about the womans background or lifestile (or even gender), as long as she can do her job. The AAT woundn't dream of publishing a similar article about say ... a black person and nor should it.

AAT appears to pride itself on diversity, pointing out its new international programe of events in Jamaica, Malaysa, Botswana (population 2m) etc, it's just a shame that over the past two years it has advertised hardly any events in Scotland, even in the issue with a huge section devoted to Scottish independence.

As a MIP I would like to feel that I treat all clients equally and offer a high level of service regardless of age, gender, race, sexuality or disability. However, I am expected to consider if I have the resources to service a client before I take them on.

Perhaps the AAT should do the same in considering if it can genuinely offer events and branch support to people residing in Scotland (I'm not Scottish). Before it takes their membership fees.

There are branch events in Glasgow, Edinburgh branch supposedly did not have enough support, however as you suggest that may have been due to lack of advertisement.

You have to look very hard to find the details of the Glasgow Branch events in the first place, then once you have attended one you get emails to tell you when the next one is coming up.

Comment

There's an event next Satruday in Edinburgh on tax investigations - I've booked but I'm worried I might be the only one there.

I think you may be correct about lack of awareness though. I asked to be on the events mailing list but have never received a list of events. Most members/students in Edinburgh are not part of a big college, so do not hear about these things through word of mouth.

Without a monthly mailing list/advertising to ALL members and students, AAT cannot realistically expect people to attend, especially when it systematically refuses to publish Scottish course details in it's magazine, leading people to assume there aren't any courses. If there are not enough members to make a course viable how about liaising with ICAS, ACCA, ICB, HMRC or even the Scottish Government Business Gateway to run joint courses?

It's not that I'm lazy and don't look, or am not prepared to attend courses, I have attended HMRC courses (they run one nearly every week in Edinburgh) and the new business start up series, (again at least one a week) they were really good, and all free! But I'd like to meet finance professionals, even if they are with another body. It would help me make contacts and keep up to date with local trends etc, which nis really one of the things AAT claims it's membership provides.

Comment

I did my AAT through distance learning and like you received hardly any information on training courses or meetings, I only stumbled across a Glasgow Branch event by accident, now I go regularly. I am also a member of the ICB and they have even less on offer in Scotland than the AAT.

I would actually like to go the event next Saturday in Edinburgh but unfortunately I only heard about it just now and the practicalities of sorting out someone to watch my son and get to Edinburgh rule it out at this short notice.

Comment

Originally posted by E Storey View Post
          Was anyone else dissapointed to see yet another "goths can be accountants too" article in the AAT magazine? It seems so self obsessed and to be honest, immature. I couldn't care less about the womans background or lifestile (or even gender), as long as she can do her job. The AAT woundn't dream of publishing a similar article about say ... a black person and nor should it.
          "Chavs can be accountants too" would be a fun article

Comment

Originally posted by E Storey View Post
            Was anyone else dissapointed to see yet another "goths can be accountants too" article in the AAT magazine? It seems so self obsessed and to be honest, immature.
            Which article was that? Was it the "Last Word" by Psyche (back page)? That's the only article in that issue that I could spot.

If so, the message from that article was "use your interests and your culture to assist your practice." There was no "look at me I'm a goth" in it, more "my niche is goth, this is how I've used it to build my career.".

"Last Word" is an opinion piece, so it will be personal to the writer, hence the article having relevant personality in it.

If you want more events in Scotland - get involved. The Branch network needs individual members to come together to help arrange things - it's not just up to AAT HQ to do it, it's down to individuals
            Professional Tea Consumption Technician
            ___

Hi Monsoon

methinks you should write a book
            ^^ I am

How do I know what to charge? [/b] (+other MIP blog posts)

MIP Fees Survey Results

Comment

double post :|
              Last edited by Emily; 04-08-12, 14:42.

Comment

Originally posted by Monsoon View Post
                Which article was that? Was it the "Last Word" by Psyche (back page)? That's the only article in that issue that I could spot.

If so, the message from that article was "use your interests and your culture to assist your practice." There was no "look at me I'm a goth" in it, more "my niche is goth, this is how I've used it to build my career.".

"Last Word" is an opinion piece, so it will be personal to the writer, hence the article having relevant personality in it.

If you want more events in Scotland - get involved. The Branch network needs individual members to come together to help arrange things - it's not just up to AAT HQ to do it, it's down to individuals
                I think the article he was talking about appeared in this issue https://services.aat.org.uk/at/archi...nt/item152002/ but the article doesn't show up on the AT Online as far as I can see??

Comment

Hi, I'm new to this forum thingy so please bear with me. I attended a CPD event in Edinburgh on Saturday and in my feedback made a similar comment about the lack of events in Scotland - I have considered going to Newcastle but it seems a long way to to go for a 2.5 hour session. You mentioned HMRC hold events regularly - how would I get details of events they are holding and where they are being held? I used to go to them when I was in practice in Edinburgh years ago but it was always arranged by the firm I worked for. Your help would be appreciated
                  Last edited by kirstycassells; 24-10-12, 22:17. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
                  X