Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVQ or Diploma pathway?

Hi everyone,

Can somebody please explain what is the difference between NVQ qualification and Diploma pathway? I am due to complete my certificate level of diploma pathway and was thinking to switch to NVQ for level 3.

When you look for employment does it matter which route did you take to gain your qualifications?

I don't have a clue why would one be better than the other when you learn the same thing or not ....??

Thanks

The main difference between the two is that NVQ, requires work based evidence and a portfolio, to support your competence. This is mainly for those who are working in accounts and are doing a varitiy of work to support this. Whilst the Diploma, replaces the portofolio with assessments and are suitable for those who are not working in accounts or cannot provide the necessary evidence. This is based on the official line, how it is in practice, may be slightly different.

There is no distintion between the two. They are both identical and at the end, you become fully qualified. However to be a MAAT, one of the requirements is that within 3 years of passing, you need to submit your application, with your job description, showing how much of your time is spent doing accounts and are recommended by your line manager.

The AAT brouchure gives more details on how to be a member.

Comment

Originally posted by mikes View Post
      The main difference between the two is that NVQ, requires work based evidence and a portfolio, to support your competence. This is mainly for those who are working in accounts and are doing a varitiy of work to support this. Whilst the Diploma, replaces the portofolio with assessments and are suitable for those who are not working in accounts or cannot provide the necessary evidence. This is based on the official line, how it is in practice, may be slightly different.

There is no distintion between the two. They are both identical and at the end, you become fully qualified. However to be a MAAT, one of the requirements is that within 3 years of passing, you need to submit your application, with your job description, showing how much of your time is spent doing accounts and are recommended by your line manager.

The AAT brouchure gives more details on how to be a member.
      Thanks Mikes.
      That makes sense. I spoke to a provider today but they haven't explained it that way so I was still confused after the conversation. I did mention that I don't work within the accountancy environment and they didn't say it would be necessary. However they did say that my employer would need to sign that I am in a full time job so I assume they would be visiting me during my studying. They also said that NVQ is more difficult.
      The only reason I thought about switching to NVQ is that I would be able to attend classes instead of having a tutor only over the phone. They also have workshops to revise for the exam which I found great.

Do you think that is a good thing to do? Of course if their fees are not too high.

Comment

Originally posted by violeta View Post
        Thanks Mikes.
        That makes sense. I spoke to a provider today but they haven't explained it that way so I was still confused after the conversation. I did mention that I don't work within the accountancy environment and they didn't say it would be necessary. However they did say that my employer would need to sign that I am in a full time job so I assume they would be visiting me during my studying. They also said that NVQ is more difficult.
        The only reason I thought about switching to NVQ is that I would be able to attend classes instead of having a tutor only over the phone. They also have workshops to revise for the exam which I found great.

Do you think that is a good thing to do? Of course if their fees are not too high.
        Am doing the deploma pathway (advanced certificate) and i go to college and have a tutor check out your local college and see if they do the AAT
        "Its nice to be important, but more important to be nice"

Comment

Originally posted by A-Vic View Post
          Am doing the deploma pathway (advanced certificate) and i go to college and have a tutor check out your local college and see if they do the AAT
          I got stuck by accident dong it the NVQ route yet when I tried to submit workbased evidence for units I got told not too bother as it would not be assessed and either way I still had to sit all the simulations.

It has ended up taking a lot more paperwork doing it the NVQ route for no extra benefit as even though my provider won't accept any workbased evidence I still have to fill in every section on the student record and map simulations to the unit parts. I find this part a nightmare.

Comment

The website has a list of approved centres that do AAT, you can have a look and see if there is one nearby that will be suitable for you.

Comment

Originally posted by PAMDILL View Post
              I got stuck by accident dong it the NVQ route yet when I tried to submit workbased evidence for units I got told not too bother as it would not be assessed and either way I still had to sit all the simulations.

It has ended up taking a lot more paperwork doing it the NVQ route for no extra benefit as even though my provider won't accept any workbased evidence I still have to fill in every section on the student record and map simulations to the unit parts. I find this part a nightmare.
              that sucks
              "Its nice to be important, but more important to be nice"

Comment

Working...
              X