Home For AAT student members AQ 2013 AAT Level 2 (Level 5 in Scotland)
Current updates regarding coronavirus (Covid-19) and the precautions AAT are taking will be continually updated on the below page.

Please check this link for the latest updates:
We hope you are all safe and well and if you need us we will be here. 💚

Foundation Unit 2 NVQ (Making and recording payments question)

Hi all, have been studying unit 2 now for a few weeks, however something is troubleing me.... Whilst posting figures from the cashbook to wages/salaries control account you then have to post PAYE, NIC's and pensions to the PAYE/NIC A/C but it is on the credit side. Please could someone try to explain why it is a credit posting??
Thanks in advance

Comments

• sarahwilsonsarahwilson Experienced Mentor Registered Posts: 567
    Because NIC & PAYE are a liability, they are money the business owes to HMRC as a result of employing someone.

I was very confused by it all as well!!

This may help you -

Debit
    Expenses
    Assets
    Drawings

Credit
    Liabilities
    Income
    Capital
  • junior1987junior1987 New Member Registered Posts: 5
    So basically becuase its a liability until it is paid off? I understand a company would have 19 days to pay it?
  • JanJan Experienced Mentor Registered Posts: 654
    PAYE/NI paid monthly to HMRC by the 19th of each month- so you would then debit PAYEE/NI liability and credit bank

Hope this helps
  • SebangemSebangem Just Joined Registered Posts: 1
    :001_smile:
  • claire0507claire0507 Just Joined Registered Posts: 2
    Pearls

Hi,

I'm having the same problem at the moment we habve switched from sales to purchases and I'm getting the two mixed up when it comes to posting them into the ledgers. My tutor uses the word pearls to help remind her of which side things should be posted to.

Purchases
    Expenses
    Assets

Revenue
    Liabilities
    Sales

It you imagine this when you are posting in the ledgers hopefully it may help!!!