Home For AAT student members AQ 2013 AAT Level 2 (Level 5 in Scotland)
Current updates regarding coronavirus (Covid-19) and the precautions AAT are taking will be continually updated on the below page.

Please check this link for the latest updates:
We hope you are all safe and well and if you need us we will be here. 💚

Certificate Level

harrybharryb Feels At HomeRegistered Posts: 62
Hey guys, new here so thought my first topic should be relevant :001_smile: recently applied for my certificate in the aat, through diploma pathway, anyone else done it? what did they think of it?..

Thanks

Comments

• speegsspeegs Experienced Mentor Registered Posts: 854
    Certificate level is seriously easy.

I had no accounting background at all when I first started, but I sailed through. You just need to be committed to putting in a bit of study time.

I am at Technician level now and it has gone by really quickly.

Best of luck with your studies.

Speegs
  • phunkyphantom22phunkyphantom22 Well-Known Registered Posts: 166
    I wouldn't describe the foundation/certificate level as easy! It will seem easy to you Speegs as you've done it and are now Tech level, same as I. It may seem easier to some but some people will really struggle with it.

Initially grasping the concept of double entry and understanding it all i.e. what are debits and what are credits etc. can be quite hard at first, but don't be put off harryb- keep studying, it will click eventually and then you too will find it easier.
  • CullenCullen Experienced Mentor Registered Posts: 592
    The most difficult exam I took was Unit 1. Once I had grasped the concepts as PP22 said, it became easier to follow.
    I wouldn't say the exams became easier but I became more Accounts minded and was able to understand theories and principles better.
  • beverleybeverley New Member Registered Posts: 6
    i am struggeling with the doupl enty please give me any tips you have for remembering what goes where
  • mikesmikes Trusted Regular Registered Posts: 254
    Hi Beverley,

There is one classic method which is by using the acronym DEAD CLIC;

Debit Creditors
    Expenses Liability
    Asset Income
    Debtors Capital

One example of this is that if you purchase goods on credit then the net amount of the invoice is considered an Expense, so that will go under the Debit column and the gross amount of the invoice will be a Credit on the Purchase ledger control (PLCA). When the invoice is paid money will come out of the bank account and recorded as a credit and the other side will be a debit on the PLCA, this will then cancel each other out. The reverse is the same for Sales Ledger.

Hopes this will be of use. Let us know if it is too confusing or if you need any more help.
    double entry problems

i think that i have that but what i get really confused with is when i am taking the figures from the day book and putting them in the plca accounts i never know if the net and vat go on the credit and the gross on the debit or visa versa :confused1:
    double enty problems

on my last post i said i was confused as to which side of the t accounts when tranfering from the day book i ment to say cash book any ideas:confused1:
  • sebastianforbessebastianforbes Well-Known Registered Posts: 172
    cut a piece of a4 paper into 32 pieces (or whatever size is best) and write the type of asset, expense, income or liability on one side, and then debit or credit on the other.

then pretend you're back at school and play flashcards.

it worked for me !!!
  • sarahwilsonsarahwilson Experienced Mentor Registered Posts: 567
    Sebastian is correct that works I did it that way too. Sometimes a visual sticks on your mind more I often find just writing things down myself makes them stick.
  • A-VicA-Vic Expertise Guaranteed Registered Posts: 6,970
    Hi

The best method if found was pearls

draw a t account then split the word accross
    Debit
    P - Purchases
    E - Expensis
    A - Assets
    S - Sales

Old method but found it pretty good