Home For AAT student members AQ 2013 AAT Level 2 (Level 5 in Scotland)
Current updates regarding coronavirus (Covid-19) and the precautions AAT are taking will be continually updated on the below page.

Please check this link for the latest updates:
We hope you are all safe and well and if you need us we will be here. 💚

Can anyone advice on the cheapest option for foundation

bonniebonnie Settling In NicelyRegistered Posts: 30
Hi
I'm currently working as a book-keeper and would like to take the AAT course beginning at foundation level. I am trying to find the cheapest learning provider, so that I can do the foundation from home - as I'd like to be ready to start the next level from college in September.

I basically need to know the cheapest option...

Has anyone tried FTC Kaplan?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• sarahwilsonsarahwilson Experienced Mentor Registered Posts: 567
    Have you done the online skills test? If you are working as a book keeper you may find Foundation a doddle and be able to skip it. I did it as I had no knowledge of double entry & T accounts but you may not need to.

I used Kaplans for Foundation their material is fine but you would be looking at spending a lot of money on something you may already know. Try downloading the last exams and see how you go.:001_smile:
  • NeilHNeilH Trusted Regular Registered Posts: 547
    Hi

You could take the AAT Bookkeeping Certificate (ABC), this covers the majority of the bookkeepin and accounting topics covered at foundation. Alternatively just take unit 30 - Introductory Accounting from the certificate stage.

Neil
  • bonniebonnie Settling In Nicely Registered Posts: 30
    Hi Sarah, although I'm working as a book keeper, I use myob (mind your own business), for a very small company. So I have no real knowledge of double entry etc. Thanks I've telephoned Kaplans to see what their charges are, I'm waiting for a call back!

Hi Neil, so if I just take unit 30, would I then be able to go on to do the next stage (3)? How do I go about doing this?

Thanks for your help.
  • sarahwilsonsarahwilson Experienced Mentor Registered Posts: 567
    I was in the same boat Bonnie, I did accounts type work but as it was computerised I didn't understand the double entry. I wish I hadn't paid for the whole foundation level because there was only a small aspect I needed.
  • CudeyCudey Well-Known Registered Posts: 138
    Hi Bonnie, are you allegable for the 'Modern Apprenticeship' scheme?
    Sarah - so do you think I could just study part of the exam? Is that a possibility?

Cudley, no, I'm unfortunately too old, I'm pushing 40.

I think I'm going to take the home learning option through Kaplan's @ £400. Then go on to do the next stage from college, in September. I'll have to take out a loan...

I am still really confused do I take a diploma or NVQ (I work self employed as a book-keeper, but its very basic just a few hours per week). Who is the best distance learning provider are Kaplans ok?
  • GaryCaveGaryCave Just Joined Registered Posts: 4
    Hi. I studied AAT foundation level full-time at college and I found it extremely easy. To say the least I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer either.

However, I do feel as though I wasted a year because at the beginning of the Intermediate year you do re-cap the previous year. If I were in your position I would probably enrole for the intermediate level at college in September and use the time until then to save up for the course itself. Hope this helps.

Gary
    Gary, a kind heart gets you further than a sharp blade :001_smile:

Thanks for you advice, I am a bit worried about wasting money, but then again, I really don't want to start a course that I find I don't understand.

Now I know I can do it from home, at least I won't be driving 15 miles to college for the foundation.

What level are you at now, are you in your final year?
  • A-VicA-Vic Expertise Guaranteed Registered Posts: 6,970
    Hi Bonnie

Ive worked for three years at a chatered accountancy but did find doing the full foundation a big plus as gives you a better understanding of double entry (like you something i never had a total grasp of) and also my according to my boss is the hardest part to get to grips with.

it is an expence but worth it plus at the end of the day its more qulifacations under your belt.

Sorry rambled a little - but my advice is do it, am so glad i did - plus only doing it for 3 hours a week (deploma pathway) fits in well with work and other commitments.

Hope this helps

vicky
  • NeilHNeilH Trusted Regular Registered Posts: 547
    bonnie wrote: »

Hi Neil, so if I just take unit 30, would I then be able to go on to do the next stage (3)? How do I go about doing this?

Thanks for your help.

Hi

With AAT you can actually enter for any stage/unit whenever you like, however, as you're no doubt aware the levels build up on each other and incorporate assumed knowledge. All you would need to do is enrol for a unit 30 course and enter for the exam when it comes around (assuming you wanted to enter the exam) and then enrol on intermediate when you are ready. Some colleges inist you have taken all of foundation, others are more flexible. I studied with Premier Training and they where quite felxible.

Neil
    Thanks Vicky and Neil, I think I will just start at the beginning, I find if I get a bit lost on something (especially learning from home) I get a bit disillusioned! So I'll start from the beginning and work my way through.
  • coojeecoojee Experienced Mentor Registered Posts: 794
    Hi Bonnie,

I'm just wondering where you got the price of £400 from for Kaplans, this seems quite cheap. The price I've got for Kaplans for Distance Learning is £550. Are you sure the price you've been quoted includes all the assessment papers? Sometimes providers are sneaky and don't mention these costs until you've signed up.

coojee
    Hi Coojee, the price I've paid (I've now signed up) was £400 plus I think £15 postage. I've enrolled on the Diploma path rather than NVQ. I did notice the NVQ was more expensive, is that the one you got quoted on?