Home For AAT student members AQ 2013 AAT Level 2 (Level 5 in Scotland)
Current updates regarding coronavirus (Covid-19) and the precautions AAT are taking will be continually updated on the below page.

Please check this link for the latest updates:
We hope you are all safe and well and if you need us we will be here. 💚

Unit 2 PLCA Double Entry Help!

Rose_20Rose_20 Settling In NicelyRegistered Posts: 15
Hellooo!

Can someone please tell me for Unit 2 Making and Recording Payments (skills test). When we have to post the entries to the ledgers. For the VAT ledger why do we have to write the total on the Debit side. Isnt it money going out of the business? So shouldnt it be on the Credit side?

Any help will be appreciated!
Thanks
Rose:001_wub:

Comments

• Oy_mateOy_mate New Member Registered Posts: 5
    When you purchase an item part of the price includes VAT. As a company this VAT can be reclaimed. So the amount you pay at the time of purchase is more than the actual cost.

The VAT that you can reclaim is therefore owed to the business. When money is owed to you, it is a debtor and all debtors should have debit balances.

The VAT account is not always a debtor though as just like when you buy goods/services you can reclaim the VAT, when you sell a good/service you have to charge VAT. The amount of VAT you charge is owed to HM Revenue & Customs and is therefore a creditor.

In conclusion:
    Expense - debit VAT
    Sales - credit VAT
  • CJCCJC Font Of All Knowledge Registered Posts: 1,657
    Rather than think in terms of 'going out', in this case it might be more useful to think in terms of assets and liabilities.

When a business purchases something, that incurs a liability to pay the vendor - liabilities are always a credit entry. Thus there is a credit entry in the PCLA (AKA creditors a/c) for the full amount (cost+VAT) owed.

The other side of this is that we gain an asset, the thing we have purchased. Thus there is a debit entry in the purchases account. So what about the VAT? Well, VAT on (most) purchases is reclaimable by the business - hence it's an asset and goes in the debit side of the VAT account.

Conversely, a business is liable for VAT on sales. This is thus a credit entry in the VAT a/c. What a business ultimately owes in VAT is the difference between VAT on sales and VAT on purchases.

You can worry about zero-rating and exemptions next year :001_smile:

Hope that helps

Chris

PS don't you just hate it when someone posts a reply while you're in the middle of writing one :glare:
  • yunfeiyunfei New Member Registered Posts: 9
    Rose_20 wrote: »
    Hellooo!

Can someone please tell me for Unit 2 Making and Recording Payments (skills test). When we have to post the entries to the ledgers. For the VAT ledger why do we have to write the total on the Debit side. Isnt it money going out of the business? So shouldnt it be on the Credit side?

Any help will be appreciated!
    Thanks
    Rose:001_wub:
    Hi, Rose, just think about that INPUT VAT for purchase, that is paid on expense, so it is on the DEBIT side, and OUTPUT VAT is charged on sales, that is your income, so it is on the CREDIT side.
  • Rose_20Rose_20 Settling In Nicely Registered Posts: 15
    Thankyou!

Hi again!

I just wanted to thank everyone who answered my question. It makes sense to me now.

"Oy_mate", "CJC", and "yunfei" Thankyou for your help!!!

Rose
    :thumbup:
  • claire0507claire0507 Just Joined Registered Posts: 2
    Pearls

Hi,

I'm having trouble remembering which side everything goes at the moment, try this:

Purchase
    Expenses
    Assets

Revenue
    Liabilities
    Sales

Hope it helps!!!!