Home For AAT student members AQ 2013 AAT Level 2 (Level 5 in Scotland)
Current updates regarding coronavirus (Covid-19) and the precautions AAT are taking will be continually updated on the below page.

Please check this link for the latest updates:
We hope you are all safe and well and if you need us we will be here. 💚

cash book

flipperflipper Just JoinedRegistered Posts: 2
Hi,

I am doing a practice simulation on foundation, i am entering cash/chqs and bacs payments recieved into the cash book.

I keep getting confused with debits and credits!

Should the total amount in the reciept column be a DR for the main ledger as its cash recieved from customers?

Would the discount allowed be a CR as its reducing what the cm owes and also would the customer account be a CR as well?

I'm so confused! i just thought if the customer pays me money then i CR their account as the debt is been reduced. any invoices i send out go on the DR as it's increasing their debt. Discounts allowed would go on the CR side of the customers acc? When it comes to the cash book i just get so confused with which bit to write CR and DR.

Any hep would be great

Flipper:crying:

Comments

• CullenCullen Experienced Mentor Registered Posts: 592
    Discounts Allowed, are a debit to this account and a credit to the SLCA and the subsidiary ledger, the customer account.

I was told to remember:
    Discount A LLLLoud, goes on the LLLLeft

Discounts Received has a C in it so its a credit.

I only ever learn one side of any double entry as I can usually work out where the other side goes.

In a cash book, money in is a debit, money out is a credit. So the corresponding debits and credits go the the SLCA or the PLCA depending on whether it is a sales receipt or a supplier payment.

Discounts never affect the cash book totals. If you think about it, money is either received or paid. That's it.
    The cash book only "records" whether discount has been allowed or received and the double entry for this does not touch the cashbook or Bank in the main ledger.
  • A-VicA-Vic Expertise Guaranteed Registered Posts: 6,970
    them pains debits and credits

:thumbdown:

i used pearls for memorie

debit - P E A R L S - credit
    draw a line down the middle

P - Purchases
    E - expences
    A - Assits

o and reverse in subsidery ledger aka sales ledger control
    R - Revenue
    L - liability
    S - Sales

hope that helps got me through - thanks to my manager :001_smile:
  • LouLou143LouLou143 Feels At Home Registered Posts: 74
    DEAD CLIC is another good one

Debit
    Expenses
    Assets
    Debtors

Credit
    Liabilities
    Iincome
    Creditors

OR

PEAD SILC

Purchases
    Expenses
    Assets
    Debtors
    =DEBIT

Sales
    Income
    Liabilities
    Creditors
    =CREDIT

Few things I learnt over the years and got me through Foundation and Intermediate!!!!

Hope it helps