Home For AAT student members AQ 2013 AAT Level 2 (Level 5 in Scotland)
Current updates regarding coronavirus (Covid-19) and the precautions AAT are taking will be continually updated on the below page.

Please check this link for the latest updates:
We hope you are all safe and well and if you need us we will be here. 💚

With Experiance what can i expect?

A-VicA-Vic Expertise GuaranteedRegistered Posts: 6,970
Hi All

The situation at the momment is, ive been working with an accountancy firm for 3 years, i have NVQ level 1 in Bookkeeping & Accounts & Computerised Accounts. Also nearlly completed foundation Level (deploma).

What kind of jobs should i apply for i have lots of experance in VAT, Payroll, Purchase & Sales control accounts and some bookkeeping along with all the other duties that comes with a Practise Adminstrator's role along with the responcibility of training and managing an office junior.

A few people may wonder why i am looking for another role well am not right at the momment but as from next year i have to fund studies myself and the income am on isnt great, so id like to find somewhere who is prepaired to fund the rest of my AAT.

more the pitty i do like the job but cant afford sentiment.

I have applied with HAYs Accountancy and Portfoillio Payroll recutment but no joy!

:001_unsure:

Comments

• Gem7321Gem7321 Experienced Mentor DevonMAAT, AAT Licensed Accountant Posts: 1,438
    Hi

You may be over-qualified for a sales/purchase ledger clerk position but I would go for interviews for these positions and enquire about any extra responsibilities.

I think you should be looking for Trainee/Junior Accounts and Accounts Assistant positions. It really depends on what you're looking for and what's available!

And, please don't take this the wrong way, but I would suggest spell-checking your applications or asking someone to proof-read them before you send.

Best of luck!
    Gem
  • A-VicA-Vic Expertise Guaranteed Registered Posts: 6,970
    ty gem

this is a forum site as for spelling i dont think it matters so much :lol:
  • JanJan Experienced Mentor Registered Posts: 654
    On a forum or in general?

I know spell checkers makes us lazy, but surely you would spell correctly on an application?
    my thoughts exactly lol
    :lol: Fell for that one didn't I ? :001_rolleyes:

Just don't use txt spk - those posts are even harder to follow !
    lol :001_tt2:
    But will say i didnt want to come across as arrogant because i have worked within an accountancy practice but just wanted to see where i would have to go to find a placement who would be prepaired to fund my continous study.

and even if it ment having to have to start as a junior i would be happy to do so
  • peugeotpeugeot Experienced Mentor Registered Posts: 624
    Hi A-vic,

As someone who looks at CVs and has recruited staff I feel I would be letting you down if I didn't advise you to look at your spelling and grammar.

Accountancy is not just about banging numbers into a calculator and being paid for it, it's about communication as well such as emails, letters and face to face meetings. If I got an email from you asking me for a job, the least I would expect would be correct spelling (I don't like coming across as harsh but needs must sometimes).

You said that you have lots of control account reconciliation experience and have trained staff - this very good and positive - is this within practice? What were your training techniques? I'm not prying but sometimes people have qualities which don't come out on forum threads.

Did you ask why the agencies turned you down?
    For goodness sake what is with the spelling fixation on here, as staited before my CV and application spelling are very good, (a comment said to me by Hays)so can we drop that part, and get down to the actual question asked please.

I have not been turned down by agencies its the other way around i am signed on with them, but where i live there isn't anything avalible, but they haven't stop putting out my CV.

The reason i asked is i need to find a job within a larger organisation e.g. NHS fairly soon as registration starts again in august.

So which agencies if any would be aimed towards them?

Peugot - Yes this is within the practice, and sorry for rant before but like you i can be honest too.

The young girl i was given was a basic a junior and had no practice experience, so was told to show her everything what to do to be honest the same way i had learned, however this was a task i really enjoyed. I let her shadow me, ran her through the procedures of the company, then had to teach her how to use the computer package, how to deal with clients, telephones queries, ect... backed up with material in the form of handouts to back up everything shes watched me do, and got her to have a go at.

I was really lucky as she has picked things up really fast and asks lots of questions, it has been as much of a learning curve for me as well as for her.
    Oh no, you are going to think I am having a go at you again, but are you only wanting to move so you can get training paid for? :thumbdown: I think you are more intelligent than that and will come up with some better reason at interview!

Sorry but I don't know of any agencies that deal with larger organisations/ NHS etc. Have you tried writing to your local PTC (Primary Care Trust) or any of the larger organistions you may want to work for? I often trawl through the jobcentre plus website - although I now realise that the agencies use that to advertise - I've spotted jobs in local government/NHS there. I think it may be harder to get into such as the NHS if you haven't started from the bottem with them - they tend to promote from within if they can, hence they offer AAT training to their existing (long term) staff.
    You do say you are prepared to start as a junior - but will that mean a cut in pay and negate the costs of training? And have you thought that you may end up in a job that will support your training, but you don't actually like? Have you looked out for similar roles to your own in another practice? Just a few ideas to throw into the pot!

Anyway, good luck
    Yeah thats true Jan :001_smile:

I understand what your saying it would mean a cut in salary and i wouldn't expect to be trained right away, its took 8 years in all to get to where i am now with doors shut before i even started in this job through the job centre web site, all i kept getting was experience needed - but the way i see it is am working towards a whole career and not just a job that pays the bills, at the moment i am fairly limited to what i can do within the practise am in, its only one accountant practice with a possible two when my manager qualifies.

I have registered on the NHS webisite and do apply to jobs through there but it seems a large majority of the jobs are taken in house, i do plan to carry on applying tho.

:thumbup1:
    Plus id like to say thanks for the input people, its all very much appreciated :thumbup:

but however am now double checking all my spelling lolol joking lol
    :lol:

Sounds to me as if you have been pigeon holed in your present role.

Just keep trying. good luck and keep us all posted
    Thanks Jan

Thats it yes pigeon holed

Thanks Jan will do
    Have you tried registering with agencies other than the obvious ones such as Michael Page, Robert Half and some of the not so obvious ones in the AAT mag?

And if people criticise you they're not "fixated" they're merely trying to help you.

Good luck.
    Steve
    no i havn't but will look in to it thank you
    Also, as you're in greater manchester, have a look at the sphere group - they usually have lots of practice vacancies.:thumbup1:
    Hey Steve

Thanks for the tips submitted my CV to Robert Half fingers crossed just to see whats out there.

Thanks again

Vicky
    sighs

o well back to study - performance indicators to read up on - sighs lololol but please any more suggestions like steve came up with please leave them and i will reply

:001_smile:
  • Gem7321Gem7321 Experienced Mentor DevonMAAT, AAT Licensed Accountant Posts: 1,438
    I'd just like to clear-the-air after receiving an upsetting PM from A-Vic.

I didn't mean any offence by the spelling comment, as I'm sure the other posters didn't, I was just trying to help. I hope you'll accept my apology, and I wish you the best of luck in your job hunt.

Let us know how you get on.

Gem
    Pm received ty Gem hope thats cleared the air :001_smile:.

Steve just to let you know, i sent through my CV to Robert Half and was invited wenesday to see them. It went really well, they were really impresed with my CV and ive signed on with them.

There are a few possiblities in the pipework, fingers crossed :thumbup1:

Thanks again Steve :thumbup:
    Just a quick update

Hey all, well interview went great with Robert Half and i have an interview next week for a job :thumbup:

Thanks again all