degree or acca

koolboi2007koolboi2007 Feels At HomeRegistered Posts: 32
Hi

Im in my final year of AAT at technician level and I have a place at university for accountancy and finance this september 2008.

Im really lost because i heard from some people that the degree is a waste of time and other people say that with a degree you can get a place in an accounting firm to train to become a chartered accountant.

I want to reach ACCA of course and i know i can get into it after AAT technician. I need to know whether to do the degree or go onto ACCA. I desperately need to know if doing the degree is a good career route because even after you do the ACCA you need experience to step into accountancy jobs.

All help is appreciated!

Comments

• coojeecoojee Experienced Mentor Registered Posts: 794
    Don't know that I can be of much help, but what I can tell you is that the exemptions you will get from ACCA or ACA are the same with the degree and the AAT qual. So it does seem pointless doing the degree as you will be no nearer where you want to be. You'd have to do 3 years on the degree and still only be exempt from the first stage of ACCA (not sure about exemptions for ACA). Having said all of that, some employers may look more favourably on you if you have a degree, particularly if you want to do ACA. It's just snobbery, but unfortunately it's often true. It's just a shame that you didn;t do the degree before you started the AAT! Can you not start part way through the degree course?
  • NeilHNeilH Trusted Regular Registered Posts: 540
    Hi

I assume you may be able to enter straight into the second year of the degree? It may be worth checking the ACCA exemptions available for your degree as it may afford you more exemptions than the AAT does.

A degree may carry extra 'weight' with some employers and if you choose not to continue with accounting after uni a business related degree is useful for a lot of careers and graduate schemes. Also, some jobs specs for qualified accountants require the candidate to be a graduate also.

I guess its a case of doing what you want to do. A degree in addition to AAT certainly won't will do any harm.

Neil
  • richardwrichardw Well-Known Registered Posts: 108
    You have said that the course is accountancy & finance, so it wont just be accounting, it will also cover business finance & other areas of business.
    Check to see if having AAT will get you a first year exemption, if it will there is then only 2 years to do. You might then find that your interest changes, you may want to do CIMA instead of ACCA, or go into a more general business role.
  • A-VicA-Vic Expertise Guaranteed Registered Posts: 6,970
    Wow dont even want to think that far ahead yet! I know you have to consider this for the future but ive only almost completed foundation its a task and half ahead without thinking ACCA, ACA, CIMA or degree :confused1:
  • koolboi2007koolboi2007 Feels At Home Registered Posts: 32
    Thanx

Than everyone for your advice :) im considering to do the degree so when applying for jobs i dont have to worry about employers recognising either AAT or degree. But either way i need experience.

With AAT you can get exemption from the whole of First part of ACCA.

I think with the degree i will have more choices to make.

But im still not 100% sure what to do.
  • lesscilessci Well-Known Registered Posts: 180
    You could look at it from an accounting point of view, cost of 3 years at university, Fees: £9000cr or more, living expenses £30,000cr or more.

Working at a practice (Even on a low wage) £36000dr

Net cost of gaining a degree in accountancy £75000cr approx

plus the fact once you have finished the degree you still have to do you ACCA!!

I know that there are other reasons to university,but on the finaces alone I know which one I'd choose. :001_rolleyes:
  • richardwrichardw Well-Known Registered Posts: 108
    For the tuition fees you can take out a tuition fee loan, which you start paying back the April after you graduate & are earning above a certain amount.
    Fees for 2008/9 are £3145, they increase each year, so 3 years would be approx £10k
    If you can go to a local uni, so that you can stay at home, will save £8k+ over 3 years in rent.
    Also easier to get a part-time job as youll still be around in the holidays.

Check to see if you can get an exemption for the 1st year, will save quite a bit of money & time. 2 years isnt a long time, but 3 years can seem like forever.
  • ANNIEANNIE Just Joined Registered Posts: 4
    Hi

Im in my final year of AAT at technician level and I have a place at university for accountancy and finance this september 2008.

Im really lost because i heard from some people that the degree is a waste of time and other people say that with a degree you can get a place in an accounting firm to train to become a chartered accountant.

I want to reach ACCA of course and i know i can get into it after AAT technician. I need to know whether to do the degree or go onto ACCA. I desperately need to know if doing the degree is a good career route because even after you do the ACCA you need experience to step into accountancy jobs.

All help is appreciated!
    HEY KOOLBOI,HOP THS WIL HELP U,DO YOU NO THAT EVEN AFTER DOING A DEGREE AND U WANA QUALIFY TO BE A RECOGNISED ACCOUNTANT U STILL NID TO DO EITHER CIMA OR ACCA? PLZ DONT WASTE MORE OF YOUR PRECIOUS TIME! ACCA N CIMA ARE PROFESIONS UNLIK A DEGREE,WITH THEM,THE WHOLE WORLD IS YOURS TO RULE!
    Hi

Thanx everyone for your advice :) University would be a waste of years. I was just thinking the degree and acca would look great on my CV. But as you said its a waste of time. I now im considering to do ACCA. and Im also thinking about the other option you gave me to complete my AAT and go onto 2nd year of degree so i only have 2 years to omplete the degree. And i can start ACCA alongside the degree :)
  • BethBeth Feels At Home Registered Posts: 40
    When it comes to accountancy, you really don't need a degree!
    If I were you, i'd go get a full time job with sponsorship from your employer to do a homestudy ACCA course. You'll be earning money, gaining experience and in a few years time you'll be qualified and you'll already have the experience making you a much more attractive prospective employee than a university graduate.

If you do a degree, you'll be learning everything in theory and when you start working you'll have to learn everything all over again but in practise.

You learn alot more on the job!

But obviously depends on how you function best.:001_smile:
    Hi

Thanx for your advice beth. I will think about it :)