Wages...

kendall17kendall17 Feels At HomeRegistered Posts: 42
Whats the average wage for people working towards Foundation who work in industry?

I'm on £6000 for working 30hours a week + college day. that works out around £3.84 an hour.My college fees are Govt. funded and all my employer pays out is £66 AAT membership and £36 exam entry. Im charged out @ £15p/h and average 20hours a week of chargable time. I feel im been taken advantage of!! Should i feel that way?

Comments

• JanJan Experienced Mentor Registered Posts: 654
    Kendall, is 17 your age? And are you on an apprentership and under 19? If you are then are not entitled to the minimum wage - see the link below:-

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/nmw/

Whilst your wages aren't very high you are getting some support & I presume training. And you are gaining experience, there are many posters on this site who would like to be in your position.

Hopefully once you have qualified you will be earning more. Hold tight 'till you have gained your qualification. If you still feel you are being taken advantage of, look for a better paid job then.

My son is an apprentice - he earns £3.75 per hour, whilst many of his college friends earn £5 ph. We have given him the same advice!
  • A-VicA-Vic Expertise Guaranteed Registered Posts: 6,970
    Hey Jan Kendal

What jan said was perfect advice yes your wages arnt as good as they could be but in a couple of years when your earing true amounts you will laugh.

It sounds to me like you have your head screwed on properly.

Good Luck and Stick At It :001_smile:
  • kendall17kendall17 Feels At Home Registered Posts: 42
    Sorry to bring this thread back up from the dark ages.

I'm now on £4.92. Earning minimum wage still and in technician year, i'm now 20 btw.

I used to accept the poor wage as i enjoyed the job. Think its time for me to get out and earn more?
  • BeccaLouJ9BeccaLouJ9 Experienced Mentor DevonFMAAT Posts: 1,023
    Hi, Sorry I haven't read this whole thread so I really know what's been said or even what the topic is!! But i just though I'd say that if you are happy doing the job you do and really enjoy, then I think, with the current economic climate you might be best just to stay put! I know working for Min wage isn't great but at least it's something. If you left a job you say you enjoy, then find you have nowhere else to go, you will be worse off!?

You can always be on the lookout for something with a better wage while you work. Since this thread is pretty old, I'd assume you've been in this job a while? Have you discussed a payrise with your boss?

Happy Thoughts- and good luck with whatever you decide!

Becca x
  • Jay1981Jay1981 Feels At Home Registered Posts: 36
    kendall17 wrote: »
    Sorry to bring this thread back up from the dark ages.

I'm now on £4.92. Earning minimum wage still and in technician year, i'm now 20 btw.

I used to accept the poor wage as i enjoyed the job. Think its time for me to get out and earn more?
    £4.92/hour? Isn't that illegal?

Wait until you complete and apply for other vacancies, don't give your current job up but you need somewhere that will pay you appropriately. Seems (from the outside looking in) that they're taking advantage of you, if i'm honest.
  • Jo ClarkJo Clark Font Of All Knowledge Registered Posts: 2,526
    Hello Kendall17

I agree with Jay1981's comments about applying for other vacancies but don't had in your notice with your current employer just yet. Your pay of £4.92 is legal under NMW.

There are different levels of NMW, depending on your age and whether you are an apprentice. The current rates are:

•£5.93 - the main rate for workers aged 21 and over
    £4.92 - the 18-20 rate
    •£3.64 - the 16-17 rate for workers above school leaving age but under 18
    •£2.50 - the apprentice rate, for apprentices under 19 or 19 or over and in the first year of their apprenticeship

The age at which you become entitled to the main rate was reduced from 22 to 21 on 1 October 2010. The apprentice rate was introduced on the same date.

Good luck with your technician studies and I hope you find a suitable vacancy soon.

Best wishes.

JC
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin