Home For AAT student members AQ 2013 AAT Level 2 (Level 5 in Scotland)
Current updates regarding coronavirus (Covid-19) and the precautions AAT are taking will be continually updated on the below page.

Please check this link for the latest updates:
We hope you are all safe and well and if you need us we will be here. 💚

Unit 31

NajmeisterNajmeister New MemberRegistered Posts: 7
Hi all.

I am studying for the Certificate Stage of the AAT (Diploma Pathway) via Kaplan Distance Learning.

Moreover i am very confused as how to prepare for Unit 31: Accounting Work Skills.

The chapters in the Study Guide/Workbook are essentially theoretical, however the simulations are very practical requiring you to set up spreadsheets, use Sage etc etc.

There is no information on using Sage for example in the kaplan Unit 31 Study Guide/Workbook.

How does reading the chapters help one prepare for the Simulations when there are no similar standard/style of questions in the Workbook?

At least for Unit 30 there are Specimen Exam questions in the Kaplan Workbook which accurately reflect the standard, style and content of actual past examination questions.

Regards,

Najam

Comments

• RichardRichard Trusted Regular Registered Posts: 373
    This link will take you to a sample Unit 31 assessment:

http://www.aat.org.uk/diploma/display/store3/item1349/

When I sat my test, all the spreadsheets were provided to me on CD, so I didn't need to set any up.

Also, have you looked at the Osbourne book for this unit - there are quite a few chapters that will give you the chance to practice using sage.
  • NajmeisterNajmeister New Member Registered Posts: 7
    Unit 31

Hi Richard.

Many thanks for your reply.

1) Is the Simulation always basically same asking you to produce a consolidated statement, ratios etc in Part 1 & Post/Print transactions in Part 2) Are you studying with Kaplan Distance Learning?

3) How did you prepare for this Unit as they could ask you anything in the Simulation?

Best regards,

Najam
  • RichardRichard Trusted Regular Registered Posts: 373
    Hi Najam,

It has been about 12 months since I did mine, Part 1 was quite similar to the specimen skills test. I can't remember exactly what was included but I know I had to do a consolidation statement, calculate various ratios and comment on them, and also complete a VAT return. The majority of it was spreadsheet based, but they were all provided on a disc.

Part 2 is straight-forward, its basic Sage processing - receipts, invoices, credit notes, and then printing some reports.

They allowed 3 hrs for each part, I needed most of the 3 hours for part 1, but mananged to complete the Sage tasks within 1 - 1.5hrs.

As I mentioned previously, use the Osborne books if possible - there was nothing in the skills test that hadn't been covered in the book.

Good Luck

Richard
  • A-VicA-Vic Expertise Guaranteed Registered Posts: 6,970
    Hi

Seen this in another thread this is really good for both units just follow the link

http://opentuition.com/aat/index.php