Home For AAT student members AQ 2013 AAT Level 2 (Level 5 in Scotland)
Current updates regarding coronavirus (Covid-19) and the precautions AAT are taking will be continually updated on the below page.

Please check this link for the latest updates:
We hope you are all safe and well and if you need us we will be here. 💚

Where Do I Start ?

BeechenomBeechenom Just JoinedRegistered Posts: 1
Hey,

I know this is a really stupid question and am going to regret asking it but here goes.

So I have just received my books from BPP for foundation diploma pathway (home study), and i am already confused! :confused:

I am staring at all these books and just don't have a clue where to start! i know i have an exam to study for, but from what books, and what do i do for these skill set assessments?

I have kinda been throw in to doing this, so i don't know where my head is anyway!

I am really sorry for asking such stupid questions, but some friendly info would be very much appreciated. :thumbup:

Cheers

Matt

Comments

• PADESUPADESU New Member Registered Posts: 11
    Beechenom wrote: »
    Hey,

I know this is a really stupid question and am going to regret asking it but here goes.

So I have just received my books from BPP for foundation diploma pathway (home study), and i am already confused! :confused:

I am staring at all these books and just don't have a clue where to start! i know i have an exam to study for, but from what books, and what do i do for these skill set assessments?

I have kinda been throw in to doing this, so i don't know where my head is anyway!

I am really sorry for asking such stupid questions, but some friendly info would be very much appreciated. :thumbup:

Cheers

Matt
    Hi Matt
    Had exactly the same problem when I joined a couple of months ago and began learning unit 30 ,when I got in touch to ask what when and how, I was told to begin with unit 31 so after two weeks had to start over and now have my simulation in a month's time-still have issues though.It is tough via distance learning as I feel as though you are left to make the running and have to second guess where you should be,I do miss having peer interaction but have no choice as I do not work in an accountancy environment (yet)!!.
    Regards
    Paul.
  • PacelliPacelli New Member Registered Posts: 8
    I am not familiar with Unit 30 as I did units 1,2,3 etc.
    My tutor advised me to read the chapter and then answer every question relating to that topic before moving on to the next chapter. If you know what your exam is, are there any indications which chapters are covered? In the course I did, each stage was divided into units and a separate exam was given for each stage. Can you "chunk down" your units in a similar manner and manage your study this way?
    If this sounds like a load of rubbish to you, I suggest you contact your tutor and ask for a study plan or scheme of work.
    Best of luck
  • katsutlieffkatsutlieff Trusted Regular Registered Posts: 459
    It is very confusing when you first start, you get all these books and folders and no instructions, we have all been in the same boat.

I started with Unit 30, this will enable you to work within a manual accounting system. The old pen and paper route.
    Use the Home Study guide to work your way though the chapters. I completed the chapter activities as I went along and then at the end of the chapter completed the 'How much have you learnt' questions.
    Once you have made you way though the unit and understand all the principles, make your way though the revision book.
    Once completed sit down and complete the mock exam and send to BPP for marking, you should get it back in a couple of weeks. Then you are ready to sit the exam.

Unit 31 is concerned with computerised accounting systems, I am finding this one a little harder to get my head around. Laziness since sitting the exam in June.
    First you will need to download the free 30 day trial version of simply books, as BPP will not provide sage tutorial as the other learning providers do.
    I am following the same process as above.
    Once you have completed the Revision companion you need to complete the practice simulation part one and two that they have sent you, the necessary CD is not enclosed so you will need to contact technical help and they will send to you the necessary spreadsheets, complete this and send back.
    If all is well on receiving it back, you need to contact BPP to arrange to sit your actual simulation in one of their centres. You also have one month to complete a third part of the simulation, something to do with health and safety at work!?

Hope this helps!!. It is completely scary when you first start and you feel completely thrown in at the deep end. Good luck :001_smile:
  • speegsspeegs Experienced Mentor Registered Posts: 854
    Hi Beechanom,

Try not to panic. Honestly. Foundation is the hardest bit because it is all so new, but then when you suddenly get your head around the debits and credits it is so much easier.

Seriously, if you need any help please send me a private message and I will see what I can do. I am not a tutor but I am a Technician level student (who will hopefully be qualified by this time tomorrow) who has been where you are and I am more than happy to help all the newbies out there who constantly get fobbed off by their colleges. I also studies with BPP and it does feel like a hell of a lot to learn.

Thanks

Sara
  • coojeecoojee Experienced Mentor Registered Posts: 794
    OMG! Don't BPP do an induction at all to talk you through what you are supposed to be studying and when? And how to use the materials that they have sent you? They sound utter c***. What are you paying them for?

A decent distance learning provider should speak to you at the beginning of the course to tell you what's what. If they don't do that, dump them. You should also have your own dedicated, named tutor who you can contact at all times. Have you got that?

Coojee
    PLEASE tell me who you are with, a named tutor, someone to speak to about the in's and out's of the course. I need to move provider asap
  • bonniebonnie Settling In Nicely Registered Posts: 30
    I had the same problem Matt when I started - I am with Kaplan. I phoned up Kaplan in the end and they talked me through it, but I was surprised that they didn't have an introductory letter, saying what to read first! It was really confusing.
    Good luck!
  • coojeecoojee Experienced Mentor Registered Posts: 794
    Hi Katsutlieff

Are you asking me who I'm with?

Coojee
    Coojee, would love to know which service provider you are with. You seem to be getting a much better service than I am :001_smile:
  • neenneen New Member Registered Posts: 5
    i thought i'd resurrect this thread rather than starting a new one, as i've pretty much got the same problem...

i'm doing the diploma pathway, certificate level with BPP distance learning...and basically, i've got the books this morning and i don't know what to do next!

I don't know whether i'm supposed to be studying both units at the same time, or which to do first or whatever! i just called bpp and she said to do one at a time otherwise i'll get confused, but i don't know which to start with...i'm conscious that i've got the exam in june, so should i start with unit 30 first, and do unit 31 when i've finished that? or do unit 31 first, and then do unit 30 nearer the time...how long do people find it takes to complete a module?

sorry for all the questions, i'm just at a bit of a loose end, and people on here seem to be very helpful from what i've read... :) if anyone has been in the same boat, and can advise, it would be much appreciated :)
  • James BellJames Bell New Member Registered Posts: 7
    Hey,

Start with Unit 30 first as this is exam based and has set exam dates of june and december, not being ready for the eaxm means waiting another 6 months.....not good!

Then once complete go onto unit 31. This is assesment based at an exam centre and the dates are varied allot more than the exam based Unit 30.

The time taken to complete each unit varys depending how hard you work, i have no prior account expierence and it has taken me 5 moths for unit 30, and 1 month for unit 31.

luckly i am a quick learner, however as a rule of thumb they say a year for each complete AAT stage, hence 6 moths each.

Hope is ok,

James
    thanks for your feedback james, i really appreciate it. i'm hoping to do the entire level in the 6 months, as i'm in a limited time frame for getting the entire course done...however, i realise i might be being a little optimistic!

so did you do unit 30 and sit the exam, before you even started unit 31? I didn't ideally want to do this, but don't know if i'm going to confuse myself if i start unit 31 whilst i'm still studying 30...
  • James BellJames Bell New Member Registered Posts: 7
    Hey,

Well unit 30 and 31 must not be confused, as they are completely different aspects to accounting. So studying both Unit 30 and 31 at the same time i found can actually work to your advantage; i found that by the time i was a little 'bored' of unit 30 i would do some unit 31 revision, and visa versa. It gives a nice break from time to time changing between units.....something new as such to read about.

However, i would spend most of your time on unit 30, as the exam based unit is far more important due to your own personal time issue of 6 months. hence, if you do not pass the exam you will actually have to wait another 6 months. Unit 31 does not have this problem of every 6 month, and is alot more regular.

If you get stuck just private message me, and ill get back to you on the same day.

Good luck.....(would deffo concentrate on unit 30 first though)
    thanks for the advice james, much appreciated!