Home For AAT student members AQ 2013 AAT Level 2 (Level 5 in Scotland)

Nervous full time mum, due to start AAT Foundation.

EliseElise New MemberRegistered Posts: 6
Hello everyone :001_smile:

I found and joined this fantastic site last night and thought i would introduce myself.

Im 26 year old full time mum living in Staffordshire and im due to start my AAT Foundation course at my local college on Tuesday night, and im nervous as hell!!! lol.

2 years ago i did a computer accounts course, not realising that you needed to know accounts to do it:001_rolleyes:

Well i didnt have any accounts experience etc and found the course really hard!
I still managed to some how pass even though i cant remember a thing about it now lol.

Even though i found this course really hard, i still enjoyed it, hence why i have signed up for the AAT.

The thing is, apart from the short computer accounts course, i havent studied in years! and being a full time mum has turned my brain into mush :blushing:

Im willing to put the hours in to study though, and can only do my best i suppose.

Does anybody know what books i will need for the Foundation stage? I know that we will proberely be told this when i start, but i was wanting to price them up before hand.

Well i will let you all know how i get on and im sure i will be asking lots of questions in the weeks to come :001_tongue:

Good luck to anybody else starting an AAT course! x

Comments

• katsutlieffkatsutlieff Trusted Regular Registered Posts: 459
    It's very scary reintroducing yourself into the world of study. I'm also a full time mother to three boys, all of whom keep me very busy. Along with juggling the paperwork for my husbands tree surgery business although I am very lacks at that at the mo.

I started AAT in February and after the initial shock of studying again I am loving it. It is my time and something for me, and I managed to pass my exam in June

There are plenty of mums on the forum so its a wonderful place to feel you are not alone, although EVERYONE is very supportive, its a great little community so welcome!! :001_smile:
  • speegsspeegs Experienced Mentor Registered Posts: 854
    Hi Elise

Welcome!

I am not a mum but I started studying again at the age of 32. I am now 34 and I have just qualified at an AAT.

Don't panic too much with the studying. I was rubbish at exams in school, but because I REALLY WANTED to do AAT the exams were easier because I was doing something I wanted to. It is as much about your frame of mind as your ability.

Also with adult education the tutors have a way of teaching which is far different to the way they teach in schools and you will be surprised how much you learn even on your first day.

Finally, we are here to help you on these forums. I am not a tutor but I love helping people and if you get stuck on something (even if it seems silly to you) shout and we will come to your aid. Even better you can send a PM (private message) to a specific person if you want to speak to them alone and not the whole forum.

Well the very best of luck to you, not that you'll need it because I know your'll be fine.

Speegs:thumbup1:
  • EliseElise New Member Registered Posts: 6
    Thanks for the welcoming replies :001_smile:

Gosh, Kats, you do sound busy with 3 boys, i just have the one, hes nearly 6 and has special needs (autistic), But now that hes just started year 1, when hes at school im sooooooo bored lol, i to have decided to do this for myself, i love being a mum but i also want to do something with my life iykwim.

I just have visions of walking into college and being surrounded by teenages lol, its going to be quite strange interacting with adults rather than a 5 year old lol, you sound like you are grasping and enjoying your course, im really looking forward to it, its just the initial meeting new people, getting into a routine of studying etc,

Hi Speegs, thanks for your support, I think that being in the right frame of mind defenitly makes a difference, im also a little nervouse because im quite rubbish at maths :001_unsure: do you think this will make a difference when i start the course? Im just one of these people that i have to read something about 10 times before it starts to sink in lol, i guess i will just have to study extra hard.

Nice to meet you both

Elise :thumbup:
    As long as you can use a calculator you will be fine.

Believe me. I left school not fulling understand division and multiplication. When I told my tutor this she did not make me feel stupid at all, she just explained to me in a way I could easily understand.

But really it is just adding, subtraction, multiplication and division that come up so you should be fine.

You will also be surprised at how many mature students there will be in your class. Where are you studying?

Speegs
    Hi Again Elise.

If you are at all worried about anything, send me a private message and I will give you my phone number so we can have a chat.

Speegs
  • atlanatlan Settling In Nicely Registered Posts: 21
    Hi Elise

I did just that, I walked into college at the age of 30 to study AAT and was surrounded by a group of people of all ages!

That was 6 years ago and even though we have gone in different directions and followed different careers in accountacy - some of us still keep in touch on a regular basis :)

If I am honest I wish I had had as much fun at uni as I did studying AAT.

Do not stress about the course. Just go and have some fun - accountancy can actually be fun (but don't tell everyone - otherwise there will be no jobs in accountancy left for us!!) :)

Good luck and don't forget to let us know how you get on. :thumbup:
  • JanJan Experienced Mentor Registered Posts: 654
    Hi Elise,

At 26 you are a young whipper snapper :lol: I was in my forties when I started AAT and wasn't the youngest at college! Like you I was a bit dubious of meeting new people, but most people were in the same boat and everybody feels nervous that first day. In the two years of study I made some great friends - we celebrated special birthdays and a even a couple of births!

We're all here to help - even if its just to chat. Somebody the other day was recommending a slow cooker as she goes off to college after work!

You'll be fine!
    Wow Jan. You're in your forties. Your picture makes you look really young.
    :001_tt2:

See Elise, we also have a lot of fun and friendly banter on the forums.

Speegs
  • A-VicA-Vic Expertise Guaranteed Registered Posts: 6,970
    Welcome to the Madhouse Elise

lol only kiddin the people ive found on here are of a great support and same can be said for people in college.

The computerised accounts will help, did you do sage line 50? if so that will help a great deal i did that before AAT.

As for books ect - there are funds for people depending on circumstances i.e Learner Support Forms if you go to student services they will help work out if your entiltiled (15,010 if single up to 34,000 if married) and these can cover fee's like books, stationery, exam fee's bus fares ect... But if poss dont leave it to the last min as the fund gets soaked up fast (by me :lol:)

Lastly remember enjoy and find time for yourself not just to study but to also have fun.

Pm me if needed and good luck :001_smile:
    Jan wrote: »

At 26 you are a young whipper snapper :lol:

Hi Jan, im a really old 26 :001_tongue: and i feel about 60 lol a lot of my friends are out clubbing etc where as i prefer to have a nice night in with a good book:blushing:

Elise.x
    Hiya A-Vic

Yeah, it was sage line 50 that i did, but i cant remember any of it now (my brain is like a sieve lol)

I have got the forms for the learner support fund from my local college, and i meet the criteria, but i havent sent them in yet, cause im a bit confused by them, it says on the forms that we need reciepts for bus fares, books etc, well how can i get reciepts when i havent even started the course yet and i dont know what books to purchase:confused:.

So im guessing that i will have to hand the forms in once ive purchased the stuff i need for the course? but then like you said wont the fund be used up by then???

oh, and also, speegs, im studying at Cannock Chase Technical College, it isint the best college, but its the closest and most convient for me :001_smile:

Elise.x
    Elise ive never needed to produced a single reciept for the fund? is it a green form?

Id advise fill the form in take proof of income i.e tax credit awards ect and then get them to complete it for you as they have a set list of how much you would be entilited to, its not a great deal but it was a couple of hundred and all my bus fares
    Hi A-Vic, no, it isint a green form, is a load of white forms together and they say we need proof of benefits, partners wage slips etc, and then theres a section where you write how much your bus fares are, stationery, equipment etc and to attach the reciepts for them.

I will pop into the college on Monday and ask them about it i think.

Thank s for all your help everybody, i feel more at ease now, your such a friendly bunch :thumbup:
    Yeah id just explane your not sure what you will spend and they will help.

Vic
  • charly_mcharly_m Just Joined Registered Posts: 4
    Hey I just wanted to say that Im in a very similar situation to you...Im 22 but have 2 children ages 3 and 1 and have not worked now since I had my first! I am starting the foundation course tomorrow and Im SOOOOO nervous!! I really want to do well and make my family proud...and also (secretly) prove to people that Im not just a another young mum not wanting to work!! My plan is to study these courses for a couple of years and then go get myself some experience, I cannot wait!!
    Hubby seems fairly supportive so far though hes not sure I will stick at it, but I am looking forward to getting my brain working again and meeting some (hopefully) nice people!!!
    Maybe we can support each other along the way?!! Oooh Good Luck for Tuesday!
  • taskeytaskey Font Of All Knowledge Registered Posts: 1,800
    hi

i am a mum of two and i work full time too. i am now 34, i started the AAT 3 years ago.

i find it hard to find time but when the kids are doing their homework i am usually sitting doing mine too. i am doing home study so i have to be really strict with myself.

it will all be worth it in the end.

if you want to chat just PM me

Take care
    Tracy
  • taskeytaskey Font Of All Knowledge Registered Posts: 1,800
    Jan wrote: »
    Somebody the other day was recommending a slow cooker as she goes off to college after work!

that was me

Tracy
  • jackiejackie Feels At Home Registered Posts: 81
    Hi Elsie,

I have just completed AAT having done all three levels in 21 months via distance learning. :thumbup:

I am a mum of six with 4 still at home( yes, they are all mine and my hubbies:ohmy:)a full time business of my own and I look after the accounts for my husbands business.

It was tricky juggling family, housework, work and my horse but I managed to study each weekday evening and most Sundays and I really enjoyed the course, even though I haven't done any studying since leaving school at 16:laugh:

If you want something enough you can make it happen!!

I am currently applying for MIP and next Spring intend to start the ATT again via distance learning.

You can do it Elsie......Good Luck!

Jackie

PS I hit the big 50 two weeks ago:lol:
  • sarahwilsonsarahwilson Experienced Mentor Registered Posts: 567
    Good lord Jackie are you some sort of super human? Well done:thumbup:
  • jackiejackie Feels At Home Registered Posts: 81
    Sarah,

No, not super human but my family, although very proud, think I am nuts!!:lol:

Jackie
    Hi Charly, Good Luck for tonight :thumbup:

Well there seems to be a lot of full time mums doing the AAT so this has boosted my confidence that it can be done, especially since i only have the one child,

I dont know how you manage to do it Jackie, you deserve a medal :001_smile:

Well im still nervous about tomorrow night, but more so because i have just come down with the flu bug, (caught it off my son :001_rolleyes:) so im not feeling to well at the moment, but im still going tomorrow night, even if i have to crawl there :biggrin:

Good luck to everyone, let me know how you get on Charly.

Speak to you all soon

Elise.x
  • charly_mcharly_m Just Joined Registered Posts: 4
    Hey, well it was ny first night this evening...It wasnt as bad as I thought, but then today was just a chat about the college, aat, and the actual foundation course and the units we will cover so nothing major to take in!!! I was one of few who dont actually work in finance tho eeekkkk!!! So I am hoping that doesnt hold me back too much! Good Luck for tomorrow, I am back in on Thursday which is when all the work will start!!! Let us know how u get on x
  • jowjow Just Joined Registered Posts: 3

Hi Everyone

I am new to this site, so would just like to say hello.

My Name is Jo i am 34 and a single mum of 1 boy, I started studying for AAT earlier this year through the home learning college.

I am finding it a bit hard, especially starting to study again at my age!!! i am lucky in one repect in that i work as a Accounts Assistant full time, but i am finding the course interesting, and learning things i didn't know.

Its Glad to find that poeple sound supportive and hope if i need help or if anyone else needs help just get in touch.

:thumbup:
  • sarahwilsonsarahwilson Experienced Mentor Registered Posts: 567
    I work full time and have 2 kids and I have passed Foundation near as damn it, so if anyone wants any help PM me and I will help if I can.