Home For AAT student members AQ 2013 AAT Level 2 (Level 5 in Scotland)
Current updates regarding coronavirus (Covid-19) and the precautions AAT are taking will be continually updated on the below page.

Please check this link for the latest updates:
We hope you are all safe and well and if you need us we will be here. 💚

Foundation Re-assurance

Hi, I'm a new member and have been "studying" A.A.T foundation level for a month, how you all doing?

My main concern is, that I was told "you could probably skip foundation, and go to Intermediate", I defied this advice and chose Foundation and am unfortunately finding it hard as hell, lol. I am struggling to do even the most basic of Bookkeeping, and for most of the time unsure what to look at in my Study books, and have yet to locate the study material for Unit 4 which was due a week ago. I have managed to re-arrange deadlines etc., but am really concerned that I am struggling amazingly at this already.

Choosing another career is not an option, I really want to be an Accountant, and am good at Maths. However I do struggle to take things in, and especially do when I am trying to teach myself.

I guess I am really just feeling down at the whole thing, and was hoping maybe someone else has been in a similar situation at one point and managed to claw their way out of it.

Cheers,

Thanks for taking the time to read my message.

Nick

Comments

• Gem7321Gem7321 Experienced Mentor DevonMAAT, AAT Licensed Accountant Posts: 1,438
    Hi Nick

Welcome!

Don't worry about struggling, it's something new, and double entry is the hardest thing to pick up. One day it will just click, hopefully before the exam!

If you need any help with anything just post on here and there's always someone who can help :)

Gem
  • welshwizardwelshwizard Trusted Regular South WalesRegistered Posts: 465
    Keep going!

Hi

As Gem said, keep at it, it will come in time. 3 yeasrs ago I din't know my debits from my credits, assets from liabilities now, 3 years on, I have NVQ2, 3 & 4 under my belt and have just started teacher training - teaching a Foundation group of students just like you. They're wondering what on earth is going on, what I'm talking about and should they carry on. The terminology is something you will get used to. Get into a system, post a transaction to a debit and credit and then tick it and move on to the next transaction. If you have left something unticked at the end, it'll be very obvious. Always check the total of your debit accounts = the total of your credit accounts regularly. Most of all, ask for help - a tutor, friend, colleague - anyone who you think may be able to help.

Use these forums for help, advice etc. Someone, somewhere will be thinking the same as you but won't be brave enough to post a question.

In short, keep at it. It will click, and when it does - what a sense of achievement you will get!

Good luck
  • NiclisNiclis Just Joined Registered Posts: 2
    Hi Nick
    I started the course a couple of months ago and i took one look at it and thought how the hell am i going to get to grips with this. Eventually though it did sink in and im really enjoying the course. I still struggle with a few things but there is always your tutor to talk to and i find these forums really usefull. There are loads of people in the same situation just keep going you wont regret it
    Good luck
  • A-VicA-Vic Expertise Guaranteed Registered Posts: 6,970
    Hey Nick

Well firstly breath its totally normal to panic secondly i always think its best to start from the begining by doing the foundation you will learn the basics i.e. double entry.

Me and probley everyone else on this course feels and felt the same as you did when first they started the AAT but think this everyone on my course passed the first year - so that shows that after lots of practise and revision you can too.

Lastly Hiya lol welcome to forums - ive found this a great study source so use it put in questions share ideas or even just chat your amoung good like minded people.

by the way am vic pm me any time am sorry it may take me a little while to answer but i will.

good luck and enjoy :001_smile:
  • jowjow Just Joined Registered Posts: 3
    Hi Nick

I started the foundation level a few months ago, i was like you and decided to start at the beginning even though i have worked in accounts for 5 years.

it can be a bit daunting but it will all click into place eventually, it took me about 6 weeks and studying most night's before it clicked properly. and i proud to say i got an A onmy first 2 assignments and now just starting on my 3rd assignment, i never got grades like that at school i was lucky to get a D

Just keep at it and it will all come together.

Jo
  • sarahwilsonsarahwilson Experienced Mentor Registered Posts: 567
    Don't stress I got into the same situation doing foundation and am currently in it now studying for FRA. You can get out of it, do you have any time owing at work? I took a week off and just studied and studied until it went in.
    Keep practicing old papers anything you can get your hands on off the AAT site.

I know exactly how you feel and if I can be of any help PM me.
  • welshwizardwelshwizard Trusted Regular South WalesRegistered Posts: 465
    Sarah

if it's any consolation, if you really learn FRA this year, you have very little new learning to do for DFS at Technician Level! It's more a case of adapting what you already know to a new situation. Remember, behind all of the work lies the basics - debits = credits
  • speegsspeegs Experienced Mentor Registered Posts: 854
    Hi Nick

I am a recently qualified AAT and I can fully understand where you are coming from. Double entry bookkeeping can be very tricky for someone who has never done it before. However, once it clicks into place you will wonder what you were worrying about.

Please tell me what you are stuck on exactly and I will see if I can help you try to understand it a bit more easily.

Also, don't forget that for the units that are based on skills tests, rather than exams, most colleges allow their students to sit these whenever they feel ready to sit them. This is unlike the exams that have set dates which the AAT set and cannot be moved.

Also these forums are full of useful people who are always happy to help, so do not hesitate to shout out if you need us.

Speegs:thumbup1:
  • NAJCNAJC Feels At Home Registered Posts: 44
    Hey Nick , about one month ago i was at exactly the same place. I started AAT fast track foundation in september. I have just passed my RIR exam and due to do SIMC PLB WWC and MRP in the next 3 weeks.I was sat there and it all seemed to just go over my head. I tryed to teach myself but didnt have a clue. It also seemed that others doing my course got it and i didnt get it AT ALL !!!.
    The best thing to do is go to your tutor/teacher and ask them to explain it separtly and alone to you. you will be more focused and not so embarressed to ask questions you wouldnt have in class.
    Trust me , give it a while and keep practicing , when you have double enty in your mind and understand everything will fall into place :).
    Hope this helped !
    Nikolaa