Home For AAT student members AQ 2013 AAT Level 2 (Level 5 in Scotland)
Current updates regarding coronavirus (Covid-19) and the precautions AAT are taking will be continually updated on the below page.

Please check this link for the latest updates:
We hope you are all safe and well and if you need us we will be here. 💚

Calculators

Vicky79Vicky79 New MemberRegistered Posts: 9
I have been using the past exam papers of here in preperation for my december exam and on the front it states you can't use programmable calculators !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:ohmy::ohmy:

Does this mean calculators with only memory buttons or the scientific ones ??

Comments

• sarahwilsonsarahwilson Experienced Mentor Registered Posts: 567
    I think it means the ones where you can programme things into the memory,and probably includes scientific ones.

I took in one that literally just did the basics, the most basic one I could get hold of. The last thing you want is no calculator:thumbdown:
  • welshwizardwelshwizard Trusted Regular South WalesRegistered Posts: 465
    Also, think of the problems you could get into if you don't know how to work the all singing, all dancing calculator properly. My theory is, the fewer keys there are, the fewer errors are possible.

Someone I was on Foundation with had a scientific and pressed the wrong button and couldn't get decimals at all - he didn't know how to get them back - not good when you're working out the VAT!
  • katsutlieffkatsutlieff Trusted Regular Registered Posts: 459
    I had the same panic for my exam in June, couldn't find a calculator without a memory button anywhere!! I ended up ringing AAT in the end like a dunce, they mean scientific calculators that you can program formulas into, calculators with memory buttons are fine.

Although I brought a new one anyway didn't want the battery running out in the exam!!!! :tongue_smilie:
  • 118 11kate118 11kate Well-Known Registered Posts: 115
    In one of my exam qa lad took a programmable calculator in and the just put a pin in the hole that wipes and resets the memory on it.

I took the basic one from work it helps to be familiar with the calulator before exam time.
  • Vicky79Vicky79 New Member Registered Posts: 9
    Thank you all very much for your answers. One more worry over now its just whether I have the brain power to do the exam:laugh:

katsutlieff that was exactly my next step to ring aat, thanks for saving my phone bill :thumbup1:

Can anyone tell me if there are questions at the end of the exam same as in the skills test?
  • speegsspeegs Experienced Mentor Registered Posts: 854
    Ok - So here goes....

I used a scientific calculator in ALL of my exams. My tutor said that the AAT were referring to the calculators that print and the ones were you can store your own made up calculations, for example, ratio calculations.

As for memory buttons, these are definitely OK, because every calculator has them.

I recommend you show your calculators to your tutors to be sure.

Speegs :thumbup1: