Advice wanted re jobs

KatKat New MemberPosts: 6Registered
Hi everyone,

Wondered if anyone can give me some career advice. I am in my last year of AAT and have been working in accounts for 8 months at a manufacturing company (prior to this I was working in a totally unrelated field and it took a year and a half of job hunting, having no experience, to get a position that wasn't offering a measly £10K!)

I really wanted to get a job in an accounting firm and I still do. 1.5 years ago I mail-shot lots of firms and and got 1 interview - got through to 2nd stage but didn't get the job.
I signed up with every agency under the sun but they didn't find me anything.

Basically I'm planning to start job-hunting again for a position in a firm after I finish AAT and have then had 1 year's experience. I really want to go on to do ACCA. I have a degree but not finance-related and got a 2:2 not a 2:1 so don't qualify for any of the graduate schemes.

Can anyone advise me on the best course of action - I'm not going to give up!

Many thanks

Katherine.

Comments

• speegsspeegs Experienced Mentor Posts: 854Registered
    Hi Katherine

I am a trained theatre designer and also a member of the AAT. So you may wonder what went wrong. Well nothing actually, I finished qualifying as a theatre designer and whilst looking for theatre work I temped in finance doing purchase ledger work. I loved it so much I forgot to go back to the theatre. I am now a MAAT and a Member In Practice. So what I am getting at is do all the finance relating temping work you can get your mits onto as this all counts on your CV. If you are lucky like me you might even end up in a firm who like you so much they take you on as permanent staff.

Obviously keep looking for permanent work but also try and get some temping in.

Best of luck.

Speegs :thumbup1: