Home For AAT student members AQ 2013 AAT Level 2 (Level 5 in Scotland)
Current updates regarding coronavirus (Covid-19) and the precautions AAT are taking will be continually updated on the below page.

Please check this link for the latest updates:
We hope you are all safe and well and if you need us we will be here. 💚

Help with Health and Safety (Unit 22) Help!

conanconan Just JoinedRegistered Posts: 3
Hello all

One of the tasks in my project asks for the safety procedures and policies of the organisation I work for. The problem is, the company I work for is japanese (with an office based in London) Where Health and Safety laws are looser (I've been told?) therefore my boss could not provide me with any documents or evidence of any kind of company health and safety policy/procedures.

As far as i understand, this doesnt comply with Britains Health and Safety Act, and is therefore illegal. However the project clearly asks for a large number of examples/evidence and cross referencing.

Long story short, what should i do? My employer and employees are not too bothered with health and safety in general, and my work situation is not great without me putting on more strain by demanding the documents i need, which dont seem to exist?:confused1:

Anyhelp with the H&S project in general would be appreciated, Thank you!

Comments

• welshwizardwelshwizard Trusted Regular South WalesRegistered Posts: 465
    Regardless of where the company is based, they have to abide by UK laws in any of their premises here in the UK.

Do they have a fire notice? Fire extinguishrs? First Aid kit and nominated first aider? Accident reporting procedures? Fire Exits? Lifitng of heavy goods policies? Policies regarding breaks and the use of equipment, machinery and vehicles? Do the premises meet H&S requirements - fire exits, lighting, flooring, ventilation. Do they display their Employer's Liability Insurance Policy somewhere in a prominent place? Emergency procedures - what happens in the vent of a fire, chemical spill, industrial accident?

All of these must be included somewhere in their policies and procedures. The Japanese have policies for every possible eventuality - shame some British firms don't take note!

If your boss can't (or won't) provide you with the information go to your HR/Personnel Manager - they're the ones who really should know - even if they are in Japan they should know. Contact your local HSE office or hse.gov.uk for information on the sort of things you need to know about.
  • conanconan Just Joined Registered Posts: 3
    Thanks for the quick reply

The thing is Im uncomfortably close to my deadline as it is, and chasing up the security policy which could be somehwere in japan is outside my time frame for finishing this:sad:

Our office does have VDU posters, the (standard?) office H&S Poster, posters remdinding employees to secure the premises and we do have fire drills/extinguishers - does any of this substitue the need for an official Company H&S policy? Or is that essential for this project?

Thanks in advance.
  • RacheyRachey Experienced Mentor Registered Posts: 589
    who's going to know if you're telling the truth or if the docs are printed off the net or if you tell little white lies about location of fire extinguishers etc? Not exactly guna have a trip to your workplace are they.

just a thought....!

good luck :-)
  • conanconan Just Joined Registered Posts: 3
    hehe, you read my mind!

I'll get to work then

Thanks for the help!:thumbup:
  • welshwizardwelshwizard Trusted Regular South WalesRegistered Posts: 465
    Another way of dealing with this is saying that the company has no written H&S policies or procedures and then go on to say what the HSE says about it all.