Home For AAT student members AQ 2013 AAT Level 2 (Level 5 in Scotland)
Current updates regarding coronavirus (Covid-19) and the precautions AAT are taking will be continually updated on the below page.

Please check this link for the latest updates:
We hope you are all safe and well and if you need us we will be here. 💚

NVQ Portfolio ... or Diploma....

speckled_00speckled_00 Settling In NicelyRegistered Posts: 21
Hi all
I'm just finishing off my portfolio and to be honest have found it the biggest waste of time and effort ever. Does anyone else feel this way? I can see the reasoning behind it but I know that I'll never use it for Job Interviews etc. Our college hasn't exactly been supportive of it either and we've basically been given a week or so to finish it!!!
Has anyone done a year of NVQ and swapped to Diploma because of this? Is this even possible?? Or is Diploma only home study?
I'm really fed up. I've done all my simulations, my exams etc, surely this is enough to show I'm competent!
Rant over! :)

Comments

• A-VicA-Vic Expertise Guaranteed Registered Posts: 6,970
    Am doing diploma and am at college
  • MWAUGH1983MWAUGH1983 Trusted Regular Registered Posts: 420
    I think you can change as thats what I am going to do after foundation as dont think my job will provide enough evidence for the portfolio after foundation.

the diploma route is for people who cant provide evidence - still the same thing either way.
  • reddwarfreddwarf Experienced Mentor Registered Posts: 528
    Diploma isn't distance learning alone, colleges provide either diploma or NVQ, I don't know on what criteria a college decides which course to run. As I understand it (quote Sandy H) NVQ is 'examined more vigorously than diploma' and of course you need to be in appropriate employment.
  • AK002AK002 Font Of All Knowledge Registered Posts: 2,492
    reddwarf wrote: »
    Diploma isn't distance learning alone, colleges provide either diploma or NVQ, I don't know on what criteria a college decides which course to run. As I understand it (quote Sandy H) NVQ is 'examined more vigorously than diploma' and of course you need to be in appropriate employment.

In my college anyway, the NVQ is generally for the people that are goverment funded.. and people sitting diploma pathway have funded it themselves..
  • sarahwilsonsarahwilson Experienced Mentor Registered Posts: 567
    I wish I had done the diploma route, you can do it distance with Kaplans but I haven't got to a convenient point to switch over yet. I would like to complete Intermediate under the NVQ and then do Tech as Diploma but whether I will actually get round to changing I don't know.
  • agnes.ranson@cordiahealth[email protected] Just Joined Registered Posts: 1
    Hello,

I feel exactly the same about the portfolio. What a waste of time. I have most of my paperwork, but I found that I just get too sleepy every single time I start to look at it...
    Agi
  • HadynBHadynB Feels At Home Registered Posts: 38
    Our college have told us just to write our simulation numbers that we did for each unit in to constitute as evidence. I have queried this twice with them and they are adamant that this is sufficient. Even the portfolio says you need two different types of evidence for each but they say this isn't the case with the 'skills tests' as they call them. Has anyone else had this problem as I've ran out of time and I have a useless portfolio?
  • GreenMouseyGreenMousey Well-Known Registered Posts: 154
    Our college is doing the NVQ route and the portfolio just has my job description, details of the company I work for and the marked answer sheets from my skills tests, that's it. We have had the external verifier come in and they passed everything, so I don't know if you have to do different portfolios?
  • taskeytaskey Font Of All Knowledge Registered Posts: 1,800
    i am with BPP and all i have done is sit the sims - and my portfolio has been marked and passed.

Sims are more than enough

Tracy
  • ToffeemadblueToffeemadblue Well-Known Registered Posts: 102
    Same here, just wrote the Skill test numbers in the portfolio included my JD, CV, org chart, company profile and the info for units 21, 22 & 23. All signed off and accepted by AAT.