Home For AAT student members AQ 2013 AAT Level 2 (Level 5 in Scotland)
Current updates regarding coronavirus (Covid-19) and the precautions AAT are taking will be continually updated on the below page.

Please check this link for the latest updates:
We hope you are all safe and well and if you need us we will be here. 💚

Can you help me?

mimikmimik Just JoinedRegistered Posts: 1
Hello everybody,

I`d like to study the AAT NVQ2 from September at the local college. I`ve talked to the teacher and she is not very keen for me to start this course as English is not my native language. She thinks I`ll struggle with it (because of the language). I`ve been living in the UK for past 5 years. I don`t want to make the wrong decision, so I`d like you to share your opinion on this course, how difficult is it, can anybody do it..etc,.

Many thanks

Mimik

Comments

• BluewednesdayBluewednesday Font Of All Knowledge Registered Posts: 1,624
    Your english seems perfectly ok to me!
  • blobbyhblobbyh Font Of All Knowledge Registered Posts: 2,415
    Your written English seems fine to me too, better than some native speakers in fact as you don't use ridiculous text speak. While we don't know how good your spoken English is, doing the course will give you great opportunities for improvement in that area too as you'll no doubt make friends and take part in discussions. And as long as you can understand English in it's written and spoken (to you) forms, I don't see what the problem is.

NVQ 2 - Foundation - isn't that difficult and will provide you with a great entry into an accounting career as well as boosting your social skills.
  • ToffeemadblueToffeemadblue Well-Known Registered Posts: 102
    Dear Mimik,
    In common with the previous posters I agree that that your written English is fine. Last year when I did foundation there were several students for whom English was not their first language and they coped fine. I would recommend going for it there will be plenty of help on these forums even if you don't get it in your classroom
  • A-VicA-Vic Expertise Guaranteed Registered Posts: 6,970
    Well he puts my spelling to shame - i would ask to speak to the course manger at your college and if no joy go to the principle
  • AK002AK002 Font Of All Knowledge Registered Posts: 2,492
    There are a lot of people at my college whos first language isn't English.

Your english seems fine to me.. i'd say go for it!
  • blobbyhblobbyh Font Of All Knowledge Registered Posts: 2,415
    AK002 wrote: »
    There are a lot of people at my college whos first language isn't English.

There are even some English people whose first language doesn't appear to be English either. Anyone from Liverpool for instance.
  • AK002AK002 Font Of All Knowledge Registered Posts: 2,492
    blobbyh wrote: »
    There are even some English people whose first language doesn't appear to be English either. Anyone from Liverpool for instance.

LOL :lol:!

I know what you mean..

My first language is Scottish :laugh::thumbup:
  • zainabzainab Feels At Home Registered Posts: 31
    hi mimik ..

at our country (bahrain), we study AAT, and most of the student are bahraini so our language is arabic, and our english is far from perfection, and we are doing great ..

I think your english is very good .. and you can do it .. don't worry & good luck ..

:thumbup1: