Distance learning

nelioneilnelioneil Just JoinedPosts: 4Registered
Hey guys and girls,

I am thinking of doing distance learning for the AAT NVQ Intermediate stage. I was just wondering what are the best distance learning organisations to use and what the costs?

I used the osbourne books last year and would like to continue using them

Comments

• MWAUGH1983MWAUGH1983 Trusted Regular Posts: 420Registered
    I have just registered with eagle and they seem ok - they come highly recommended on this forum. They seem a decent out fit but - no disprect intended, seem like a very new company as I have heard very little of them. I no from my time so far that if ever I need to recommend a provider it will be eagle education!

They use the osborne books - author david cox. On the aat site their is a online presentation which was designed by the director of eagle - sonya ashbarry - on the eagle site their are similar ones on different topics so the material in my view seems very handy indeed!

Anything else then get back to me on this thread or PM. The eagle site is http://eagle-education.co.uk

Cheers
    Martin
  • nelioneilnelioneil Just Joined Posts: 4Registered
    Yeah I have been looking at Eagles and Premier Training but ive noticed the price difference. Its £649 starting from level 3 (intermediate) on Eagle but on Premier Training the cost is £369 and everything is included.

Maybe Im missing something...
  • MWAUGH1983MWAUGH1983 Trusted Regular Posts: 420Registered
    I havent really looked at premier but last week I enquired about the online revision at 99 quid per unit - this was on the site; I get a reply saying it was an error and that they wont offer it for the december sit but they hadnt updated the site. The sort of thing that gives me doubts - although probably a simple mistake.

In regard to eagle; I have only heard good reviews from people and that and the whole image of them gave me a good impression. Early days but everything seems good. I wont give an indication untill febraury when all marks are out and hopefully the 2 units will be passed.

Do a comparison on the forum for topics on both companies and see what you think - although you may have done this.
    I have tried to get a good comparison and they are generally very positive feedback for both companies. So really im just wondering about the price differences because its almost £300! Any other replies on this forum would be most welcome!

EDIT: The prices for both sites exclude the exam entry fees. The premier home study total price excludes the simulations but the eagle site includes the simulation fees

According to Premier, the simulations are £31.99 each. AS they are 3 simultions for level 3, thats just under £100 for those 3. Thats still a difference of £200 between the 2 companies, exclusive of exam fees.

By the way, I completed units 21,22,23 at Foundation level and the premier training website reflects this on their price of £369 for units 5,6,7. I dont think eagle do individual modules do they?
  • PGMPGM Font Of All Knowledge Posts: 1,954Registered
    nelioneil wrote: »
    Yeah I have been looking at Eagles and Premier Training but ive noticed the price difference. Its £649 starting from level 3 (intermediate) on Eagle but on Premier Training the cost is £369 and everything is included.

Maybe Im missing something...

Be sure you're comparing like for like. I did a few ACCA modules with BPP distance, it was about £140 a module? I forget, but I might as well have just bought the books and saved a load of money for what it was worth!
    Decisions decisions, the £200 price differnece is still a bit confusing to me!
  • jewels.pjewels.p Font Of All Knowledge Posts: 1,774Registered
    Hi,

I am with Premier Training (Intermediate). I started at Foundation Level with them last year. I like you shopped around and Premier worked out cheaper than the rest. As I have said before on this site I find them very good:thumbup1:

Julie:001_smile:
  • beavis182beavis182 Well-Known Posts: 130Registered
    I am current doing AAT Intermediate with Premier training and am finding them very helpful so far and alway send back marked assignments promptly. Plus if i ever have any slight queries they are more than helpful to assist.
  • hztmhztm Feels At Home Posts: 50Registered
    I recently signed up with Eagle but found them cheaper than premier. I started at Intermediate Diploma route. Price with Premier would have been £599 (including Sage Line 50 and Unit 31). Price with Eagle was £649 which included all the simlation fees - so Eagle were actually cheaper.

I guess the costs must be different for the NVQ route.

Eagle seem pretty good - the study budy along with the Osbourne books and video courses on the eagle site are proving quite straightforward and easy to follow. Have not used the tutors yet so cannot comment on this side of things - but so far I am pretty impressed.
  • steveJsteveJ Experienced Mentor Posts: 694Registered
    I started the foundation with premier training, passed that in June and have now started straight on to the intermediate.

Every piece of coursework I send by email is marked promptly and sent back quickly.

The tutors are really friendly and there is always someone there.

Good luck with which ever provider you go with.
  • GreenMouseyGreenMousey Well-Known Posts: 154Registered
    I did Foundation at college on day release, I then decided to do intermediate by distance learning to hurry the whole thing up. I've gone with Kaplan distance learning. It's still early days but I don't have any complaints so far, I had an introductory email from my tutor with contact details and the administration staff have been great.
    The books are so easy to follow, I've not felt the need to contact the tutor as yet and I'm now at the end of Unit 5 (FRA). I used Osbourne books at college but comparing the two i.e. Kaplan and osbourne books, I've found the Kaplan ones literally self-explanitory, where as I feel the osbourne books were a little more hard going.

My company paid £405 for the entire of Intermediate including all sims paid for (I've completed the three evil units at foundation so I didn't need to pay for those), books and pocket notes.

In the end it's up to personal preference really as to what you want/need from a course.

Mouse x