Home For AAT student members AQ 2013 AAT Level 2 (Level 5 in Scotland)
Current updates regarding coronavirus (Covid-19) and the precautions AAT are taking will be continually updated on the below page.

Please check this link for the latest updates:
We hope you are all safe and well and if you need us we will be here. 💚

Total blank canvas

carlyloucarlylou New MemberRegistered Posts: 13
Hi guys,

I have just started my AAt foundation course at college and i really have no prior knowledge i'm not even working in an accounting enviroment im assistant manager at a hair salon!! of all things and hate it and finally figured out this is what i want to do.
People keep telling me its ok and the college will explain everything to me but im very worried i wont understand or be able to keep up.

Is there anyone out there that have been in my positon and have any words of wisdom or can help???:
Thank you
:001_unsure:

Comments

• LeeS2009LeeS2009 Font Of All Knowledge Registered Posts: 1,515
    carlylou wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I have just started my AAt foundation course at college and i really have no prior knowledge i'm not even working in an accounting enviroment im assistant manager at a hair salon!! of all things and hate it and finally figured out this is what i want to do.
    People keep telling me its ok and the college will explain everything to me but im very worried i wont understand or be able to keep up.

Is there anyone out there that have been in my positon and have any words of wisdom or can help???:
    Thank you
    :001_unsure:

you have got to start somewhere hun....the college will give you all the materials you need....who does the accounts for the salon??? :thumbup::thumbup:
  • carlyloucarlylou New Member Registered Posts: 13
    Hey thanks for getting back to me. Its a seperate company.
    I work for Toni&Guy which you might know is a franchise so they have a company called Mascolo & Styles that do everything for them i send everything off to them but thats about as much as i have to do with it. xx
    :001_smile:
  • A-VicA-Vic Expertise Guaranteed Registered Posts: 6,970
    Hey Carlylou

Have you had a look at e-learning on the AAT main site i found them really helpful when trying to get my head around Debits and credits and t accounts ect..

If you log in to your aat and look for the link and give them a go.

Also remember we have all been where you are and it will sink in.

Good Luck

Vic :001_smile:
    A-Vic wrote: »
    Hey Carlylou

Have you had a look at e-learning on the AAT main site i found them really helpful when trying to get my head around Debits and credits and t accounts ect..

If you log in to your aat and look for the link and give them a go.

Also remember we have all been where you are and it will sink in.

Good Luck

Vic :001_smile:

and carlylou!! if a-vic did it!!! anybody can do it!!! :lol::lol::001_tt2:
    Thanks so much I'll look now x
  • AK002AK002 Font Of All Knowledge Registered Posts: 2,492
    LeeS2009 wrote: »
    and carlylou!! if a-vic did it!!! anybody can do it!!! :lol::lol::001_tt2:

That's no way to talk about my a-vic :lol:
    Lol ok i'll keep that in mind :-) x
    AK002 wrote: »
    That's no way to talk about my a-vic :lol:

:lol: what you gonna to about it blown up gimp man :lol::lol:
    Oops forgot to add:

Welcome! As has been said everyone had to start somewhere learning Debits and Credits, but belive me you do get used to it :P
    AK002 wrote: »
    Oops forgot to add:

Welcome! As has been said everyone had to start somewhere learning Debits and Credits, but belive me you do get used to it :P

yes i second that!! welcome carlylou :001_tt2:
    Thanks everyone....You've built my confidence up already and plus side already get to meet and chat to friendly people like yourselves :001_smile:
    Second class tonight 5.45-9.15 errh I'll keep you updated
    :thumbup:
  • A-VicA-Vic Expertise Guaranteed Registered Posts: 6,970
    remember ask lots of questions dont sit and get fustrated my tutor actullay thanked me for that because others wouldnt.

Lastly breath :lol:

o and boys play nice or i'll set dianne on ya lol
    A-Vic wrote: »
    o and boys play nice or i'll set dianne on ya lol

Oh... i'm scared :001_rolleyes:

:lol:
  • mark057mark057 Trusted Regular Registered Posts: 354
    Don't worry about not having any prior accountancy experience.

The AAT course guides you year by year through the basics and builds your competence and confidence.

I started foundation level in Sept 2005 with no prior accountancy experience and took to it like a duck to water. I've virtually completed the Technician level and looking to start ACCA.

Don't expect it to be easy, particularly at technician level. The course requires determination and commitment over a three year period.

However if you love figures and are prepared to put the work in then you can gain a very handy qualification.

I totally respect your views about getting out of a job you hate. I used to work for HMRC as a clerical and was bored out of my brains. The AAT has saved me from a prison sentence working in a dead end job.
  • steveJsteveJ Experienced Mentor Registered Posts: 694
    Hello Carly,

I was in the same position as you last year. Definately needing a change and wondering what I wanted to do. Then one day one of my friends at work mentioned that he was starting a book keeping course and the idea "accountancy" just jumped out at me. After searching the net I found the AAT and never looked back.

Just keep going. When you've been studying and you hit that wall on a certain part like we all do, just get on the forums and get in touch.

Also the magazine you get monthly is great for inspiration and stories of what fellow students are achieving.

Good luck

Steve
    Thanks very much Steve.
    Yeh im very determind im doing this for myself and knowone else, just have an few self confidence issues i really need to address, right now i'm understanding what were doing so feeling quite good but i know it wont be like that all the way through.

But i'll check out the magazine....based on personal experience will it benefit me more to try and get into an accounting job as soon as possible?.....not that there that easy to come by with no experience. :-)
  • steveJsteveJ Experienced Mentor Registered Posts: 694
    Personally, and I think everyone else would say that it would help to get into some sort of accountancy/finanace role.

While doing the foundation I don't think its essential to work in accountancy as at that level your learning the basics I.e double entry, debit and credits, ledgers, day books and just getting the feel for the accounts.

I done the whole foundation while working on a production line and now on intermediate it has given me the confidence to go for accounting/finance based jobs. I would suggest to keep looking for any entry level positions such as data entry, invoices etc or even look for some voluntary work once a week to get more of an understanding of working with accounts, plus this is great for your CV.

I've finally got an interview tomorrow in my present workplace as a blling clerk inputting invoices etc. Without the foundation I would never have attempted this. Also the earlier you get into an accountancy job the more experience you will have when you take the later qualifications, ACCA, CIMA if that's what you want to do.

Just keep at it and get in touch if you need any help.

Steve