Home For AAT student members AQ 2013 AAT Level 2 (Level 5 in Scotland)
Current updates regarding coronavirus (Covid-19) and the precautions AAT are taking will be continually updated on the below page.

Please check this link for the latest updates:
We hope you are all safe and well and if you need us we will be here. 💚

Am i alone?

Hey all, feeling a bit down, currently studying AAT foundation at my local college, had two 2 hour lessons so far, my 3rd tomorrow, i got to be honest, nothing seems to be sinking in, worked through chapters 1-4 (read 3 & 4 tonight) attempted the activities at the end and didnt know where to start, i was completely new to accountancy but thought id understand it more than what i am, am i alone or has it taken other people time to digest and sink in, am i being anxious for nothing or is normal? Thanks for listening, opinions more than welcome

Comments

• donnas1977donnas1977 Well-Known Registered Posts: 182
    Hey

I started beginning of september too and i thougt it was never going to sink in. i had to keep reading notes as I got things mixed up in my mind on more than one occasion. We were taught DEAD CLIC as a way of remembering.

Debit
    Expenses
    Assets
    Drawings

Credit
    Liabilities
    Income
    Capital

I find it helps me alot
  • mexican_or_mexicantmexican_or_mexicant Just Joined Registered Posts: 4
    thanks donna, i just feel that by chapter 4 i should have a better understanding, maybe i want to learn too much too soon? Maybe?
  • sarahwilsonsarahwilson Experienced Mentor Registered Posts: 567
    Don't worry, just keep practising and it will fall into place soon. I nearly sent my books back and quit the course 6 weeks in as I couldn't get to grips with Debits and Credits.
  • A-VicA-Vic Expertise Guaranteed Registered Posts: 6,970
    the horried debits and credits even my boss said he struggled with those at first and he is a 20 years practising accountant.

Like sarah said just keep practising and dont lose hope you probley dont relise you know more than you think.

the one thing i wish i had done was practise t accounts. If you stick to the homework and reading attend all your classes i bet you will pass no problem.

Good luck.

(BTW Morning Sarah) :)
  • sarahwilsonsarahwilson Experienced Mentor Registered Posts: 567
    Morning to you too

Definitely practice T accounts as well and try doing a trial balance too, it doesn't matter if you get it wrong it shows you why you are doing what you are doing with Debits and Credits.

If you need any help give me a shout I am more than happy to help you out, I struggled like mad with it to the point of nearly quitting and its brilliant when it sinks in.
  • mexican_or_mexicantmexican_or_mexicant Just Joined Registered Posts: 4
    thank you all for your support, i have no intention of giving up, im just going through a mental "blip" if i need support i definately know where to go, thank you all
    thank you all for your support, i have no intention of giving up, im just going through a mental "blip" if i need support i definately know where to go, thank you all

welcome to forums :)
  • CJCCJC Font Of All Knowledge Registered Posts: 1,657
    I too struggled with the whole double entry thing for quite some time, much of the time I was just learning how to do things without really understanding why. I like to think of myself as a fairly bright chap (stop that laughing there at the back) and ended up really frustrated that I just wasn't getting it. Then all of a sudden, several months in things clicked and looking back it was hard to see why it had seemed so hard. Others have reported having similar 'eureka' moments.

Just hang in there, it is tougher than you might expect but you will get the hang of it in the end.
  • BluewednesdayBluewednesday Font Of All Knowledge Registered Posts: 1,624
    CJC wrote: »
    I too struggled with the whole double entry thing for quite some time, much of the time I was just learning how to do things without really understanding why. I like to think of myself as a fairly bright chap (stop that laughing there at the back) and ended up really frustrated that I just wasn't getting it. Then all of a sudden, several months in things clicked and looking back it was hard to see why it had seemed so hard. Others have reported having similar 'eureka' moments.

Snap - that's exactly how I felt (except I'm not a chap)!
  • ToffeemadblueToffeemadblue Well-Known Registered Posts: 102
    As the other posters, I have passed plenty of exams and learnt loads of new stuff over many years and was still suprised (and shocked) at how tough double entry was to understand. If you persevere it will come honest
  • dizzyhorsedizzyhorse Feels At Home Registered Posts: 49
    Me 2

I felt like that for first few month, I never thought it would sink in, I kept going and will do exam in December, you need to do your home work 2!!
  • dizzyhorsedizzyhorse Feels At Home Registered Posts: 49
    Download exam papers and go through them, first one took me hours! now its easy
  • Amy969Amy969 New Member Registered Posts: 13
    defo. it took me ages of struggling and then suddenly it all clicked, probably around chapter 6. don't give up! one day you will wake up and wonder why you were even worried about it in the first place!

i am on unit 31 now and struggling with that. just so much information!
  • marknotgeorgemarknotgeorge Well-Known Registered Posts: 158
    donnas1977 wrote: »
    Hey

I started beginning of september too and i thougt it was never going to sink in. i had to keep reading notes as I got things mixed up in my mind on more than one occasion. We were taught DEAD CLIC as a way of remembering.

Debit
    Expenses
    Assets
    Drawings

Credit
    Liabilities
    Income
    Capital

I find it helps me alot

There's also PEARLS, where the first 3 letters are debits (on the left side of the T account) and the last 3 are credits (on the right side of the T account)

Purchases
    Expenses
    Assets

Revenue (Sales)
    Liabilities
    Source of funds (capital)
    Snap - that's exactly how I felt (except I'm not a chap)!

For a long while i thought you were (aviator pic) :)
  • clegganatorclegganator Well-Known Registered Posts: 184
    I've recently started this studying business and it is a bit nightmareish. I think things that have helped me is getting it wrong and trying to figure out where I went wrong and not moving on till I know exactly why I went wrong. Learning from your mistakes and all that jazz. And doing lots of reading on the side. My employer got me Bookkeeping by Frank Wood and I basically rewrote the first few chapters of the book as a means of trying to get it stuck in my head.

Try asking your lecturer to set you some example exercises and don't feel embarassed. It is admirable to admit you need help and get it.

Perservance is key.

I could be a motavational speaker me...
  • Raging PineapplesRaging Pineapples Well-Known Registered Posts: 110
    After the first couple of lessons it'll still all be very strange to you, I remember my Foundation classes were at first a nightmare. I'm number dyslexic, which made it a bit more disconcerting as well!!

The key is to try and understand what's going on 'under the hood' in the accounts.

Some good tricks that helped me while I was learning:

- Always remember the double entry for the bank, if nothing else. That way if you're stuck, you can start at the bank and work backwards. So if money comes in, you know it's a Debit in the Bank. That means the other account has got to be on the opposite side. You can work quite complicated things in this way.

- Think 'what is funding this transaction?' - the double entry for that account will be identical to the bank. So if a sale is made on credit, it's basically being funded by the client's sales ledger account. So just as you would DR the bank for a cash sale, you can DR the sales ledger for an invoiced sale. The double entry will be identical.

They helped me no end. Also, if you find yourself confused as to why on Earth the Sales Account is a Credit and Expenses are Debits...

... it's because any profit the business makes it has to pay to its owner. So every sale increases that liability (CR) and every expense reduces it (DR).
    One thing i will advise anyone at college is go and take the learning styles test it helped me no end in understanding how my brain learns and advises the best way to revise ect
  • J.BrookesJ.Brookes New Member Registered Posts: 10
    Well I started 3 weeks ago, doing 6 hours a week, and all we have learnt is how to use Excel, and Payroll theory.
    We have been going home early and it has been quite easy. We haven't even used the books yet!!!
    I am wondering when we are going to get started. We aren't even going to get tested on most of what we have learnt so far.
    I hope we don't have to rush through everything later.
  • appleapple Settling In Nicely Registered Posts: 39
    dizzyhorse wrote: »
    Download exam papers and go through them, first one took me hours! now its easy
    Hello dizzyhorse,

I started my course in the mid Sept and i am struggling as well. you mentioned these exam papers.where can i find them? i would like to download them

thanks