Home For AAT student members AQ 2013 AAT Level 2 (Level 5 in Scotland)
Current updates regarding coronavirus (Covid-19) and the precautions AAT are taking will be continually updated on the below page.

Please check this link for the latest updates:
We hope you are all safe and well and if you need us we will be here. 💚


Diploma or NVQ?

JaffasGirlJaffasGirl Trusted RegularRegistered Posts: 387
Hi everyone,

I am going to start the Diploma at certificate level in January '10, through distance learning with BPP. I am doing the diploma as I am not in a finance position at the moment, but i am hoping to be by september '10 to be able to start the second year doing the NVQ.

I was told by an advisor at AAT that this would be possible but I was just wondering if anyone on here had done this? and how easy it was to transfer over. Also, do employers tend to prefer the NVQ? i would assume so cause although the knowledge is the same, they know you have the experience of doing it in a real situation?

Many thanks in advance

Comments

  • Portsmouth_AATPortsmouth_AAT Feels At Home Registered Posts: 96
    JaffasGirl wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

    I am going to start the Diploma at certificate level in January '10, through distance learning with BPP. I am doing the diploma as I am not in a finance position at the moment, but i am hoping to be by september '10 to be able to start the second year doing the NVQ.

    I was told by an advisor at AAT that this would be possible but I was just wondering if anyone on here had done this? and how easy it was to transfer over. Also, do employers tend to prefer the NVQ? i would assume so cause although the knowledge is the same, they know you have the experience of doing it in a real situation?

    Many thanks in advance

    Employers dont mind if NVQ or Diploma - its still the same qualification. I started on the diploma as this was what the college was running and I wasnt in Accountancy employment. I got a job in accountancy in the September of starting the 2nd year and have continued with the diploma route. Its never been questioned what route im studying as it is still the AAT qualification.

    The only difference on the 2 is that the diploma is adapted so that you dont have to be in a accounts job, but it doesnt matter if you are.

    I personally wouldnt have changed given the option, as with diploma you have the project, and NVQ the portfolio.
  • IngeniusIngenius Feels At Home Registered Posts: 30
    Hi JaffasGirl

    I've not long started Diploma at certficate level, distance learning through Premier Training, as i'm also not in an accounts position.

    I was told by PT that Diploma is a lot less confusing than NVQ route. They also said that eventually the NVQ route will become obsolete in the future - didn't say when though.
  • A-VicA-Vic Expertise Guaranteed Registered Posts: 6,970
    Not sure where you got your information from but am sure its incorrect - as i understand it there are changes next june for standards and also ACCA will allow Diploma for exemptions from then also
  • Portsmouth_AATPortsmouth_AAT Feels At Home Registered Posts: 96
    A-Vic wrote: »
    Not sure where you got your information from but am sure its incorrect - as i understand it there are changes next june for standards and also ACCA will allow Diploma for exemptions from then also

    Iv never heard that ACCA dont allow exemptions for Diploma?

    I have studied diploma, and think we were the first group at our college to do Diploma, Most students qualified June from the Diploma i was in - 1 have one more unit, and im sure some of them went on to ACCA.
  • A-VicA-Vic Expertise Guaranteed Registered Posts: 6,970
    Iv never heard that ACCA dont allow exemptions for Diploma?

    I have studied diploma, and think we were the first group at our college to do Diploma, Most students qualified June from the Diploma i was in - 1 have one more unit, and im sure some of them went on to ACCA.

    Iment a number of univercities wont have a look on ACCA and UCAS site - but this is set to change next year anyway so wont afect us anyway
  • IngeniusIngenius Feels At Home Registered Posts: 30
    A-Vic wrote: »
    Not sure where you got your information from but am sure its incorrect - as i understand it there are changes next june for standards and also ACCA will allow Diploma for exemptions from then also

    This is just what i was told by a course advisor at PT before i enrolled. I don't know if there is any truth in it - clearly not though!
  • JaffasGirlJaffasGirl Trusted Regular Registered Posts: 387
    Many Thanks for all your answers,

    I didnt realise that the ACCA didnt allow the exemptions for the diploma route, i thought it was just the same qualification and you got the exemptions that way.

    I do agree with that the Diploma seems a lot less confusing. Just exams and simulations, from what i can tell. how are you finding doing the home learning? i've done a bookkeeping course from the ICB so i know basic double entry, debits and credits etc so i'm hoping it shouldnt be too confusing....

    Thanks
  • IngeniusIngenius Feels At Home Registered Posts: 30
    JaffasGirl wrote: »

    how are you finding doing the home learning? i've done a bookkeeping course from the ICB so i know basic double entry, debits and credits etc so i'm hoping it shouldnt be too confusing....

    Morning JG

    I have to say that i'm really enjoying home learning. I spend a few hours each night in the week on it and then have a break at the weekend. I've just finished Unit 30 and am now going to be revising for my exams in Dec!

    As you've already done a bookkeeping course and already know double entry, DR and CR then i don't think that you will have any problems at all. :001_smile:

    Good luck for when you start!
  • A-VicA-Vic Expertise Guaranteed Registered Posts: 6,970
    GL :)

    Were a freindly bunch on here anytime can help please PM
Sign In or Register to comment.