The 'I Have Exams In December and I'm Nervous Thread'

ThomasDThomasD Settling In NicelyPosts: 19Registered
I'm taking the unit 30 exam on December the 1st and am nervous about it even though I've been studying hard. Been studying since mid September.

I've been attempting the past exam papers for the past week or so and still get quite a lot wrong. And so.... I'm nervous.

Anyone else out there in the same boat as me? How do you feel about your chances?

I would say I am 50% confident that I'll pass. I heard that the pass mark is 80%. Is that right?

Comments

  • Claire321Claire321 Well-Known Posts: 209Registered
    I asked Paul Bowen, the AAA deputy exams manager at a recent branch event and he said the pass mark required is on average 60%, however you do need achieve comptency in both sections of the paper.

    I have also heard that the pass mark for the DFS papers is one of the highest which can be as high as 70% - so I would say 80% is incorrect, although this is the mark required for simulations/skills tests
  • dziumbrauskaitedziumbrauskaite Feels At Home Posts: 42Registered
    Hey Thomas,

    I'm sitting my exam the same as you, 1st December and been studying since end of September.
    I don't know, what the pass mark is , but I think you will pass your exam. You should be more confident in yourself! What you having now, I think is just an exam panic.:)
    Just do a lot of practise! It helps! In the beginning I was doing quite a lot mistakes too, but now I'm getting better
    After studying the book I was really confused about the journal, but after attempting past papers now I started to understand!

    Believe me, you are not alone, who is nervous before the exam. It's normal

    Olivia
  • ThomasDThomasD Settling In Nicely Posts: 19Registered
    Hi,

    Thanks for the info on the pass mark. It makes more sense now.

    Hi Olivia. I've been studying over the past few days and now maybe feel 70% sure that I'll pass. I've also done another few practice exams and revised the sections that I had trouble with.

    Have you attempted the past exam papers yet?
  • dziumbrauskaitedziumbrauskaite Feels At Home Posts: 42Registered
    I have attempted all the past papers and now I'm attempting them again, because I still do some mistakes, but not many.But I'm positive, that I will pass the exam.
    We still have time to practise and revise!
  • redzhellredzhell Feels At Home Posts: 26Registered
    I'm nervous and angry at myself at the moment. I don't mind exams and I've been studying hard for this one but when I check my work against the answers, I find that I've been quite stupid on a few as I don't the the questions properly. I'm one of those people who rushes things and don't check the work properly. I know we are allowed 3h 15mins which is plenty to finish and go through everything but I get bored after a while! Anyone else like that?

    Rei

    PS: I'm sitting mine at Kaplan in Norwich.
  • messedup89messedup89 Experienced Mentor Posts: 1,281Registered
    redzhell wrote: »
    I'm nervous and angry at myself at the moment. I don't mind exams and I've been studying hard for this one but when I check my work against the answers, I find that I've been quite stupid on a few as I don't the the questions properly. I'm one of those people who rushes things and don't check the work properly. I know we are allowed 3h 15mins which is plenty to finish and go through everything but I get bored after a while! Anyone else like that?

    Rei

    PS: I'm sitting mine at Kaplan in Norwich.

    Ah your makings SAMS. Ur not the only one
  • ThomasDThomasD Settling In Nicely Posts: 19Registered
    I do the same thing. When I read through the question again and compare it to the answer sheet, I can see that I knew the answer but misread the question.

    With over 3 hours for the exam, I'm going to be meticulous and go over and over each question.

    I'm sitting mine in Dartford.

    For the next 5 hours, I'll be studying. Got 3 fresh practice exams and a big pot of tea. Here we go! :-)
  • davendaven Just Joined Posts: 1Registered
    hi thomasd and redzhell

    I'm in the same boat as you guys. been revising off and on since october and started to getted stressed over taking this exam ( the first in about 20 years) but i'm calm at the moment and just want to get on with it. I did start to make silly mistakes in the past papers so have decided to just look over my notes and course books for a day or so and then have another go at the past papers.

    good luck in your exam

    dave


    p.s. I'm sitting my exam in cardiff

    p.p.s. I think I'll need a beer afterwards!
  • ykwong1978ykwong1978 Feels At Home Posts: 48Registered
    Anyone know whether you get a Pass or Fail, or whether you get the percentage mark of setcion 1 and 2, or the overall mark?
    I am pretty confident now that I have tried the past papers, although I am still stumped on a few questions.
    Does anyone know if you are allowed to leave early or whether you have to stay there until the end?

    Ying
  • jiltjilt Font Of All Knowledge Posts: 2,903Registered
    ykwong1978 wrote: »
    Anyone know whether you get a Pass or Fail, or whether you get the percentage mark of setcion 1 and 2, or the overall mark?
    I am pretty confident now that I have tried the past papers, although I am still stumped on a few questions.
    Does anyone know if you are allowed to leave early or whether you have to stay there until the end?

    Ying

    You simply get a pass or fail nothing more. You can leave the exam room whenever you're ready. Good luck
  • messedup89messedup89 Experienced Mentor Posts: 1,281Registered
    ykwong1978 wrote: »
    Anyone know whether you get a Pass or Fail, or whether you get the percentage mark of setcion 1 and 2, or the overall mark?
    I am pretty confident now that I have tried the past papers, although I am still stumped on a few questions.
    Does anyone know if you are allowed to leave early or whether you have to stay there until the end?

    Ying

    you just get tole which section your were successful/unsuccessful in.
    Thats it!
  • iss072iss072 New Member Posts: 12Registered
    does any one kow the pass rate for pev?
  • rubydalerubydale New Member Posts: 6Registered
    dec exams

    i think this exams have everyone stress i only started properly revising 3wks ago as i am juggling two jobs at the moment the past exams papers are quite useful, but i am still getting a couple questions wrong fingers cross i will pass if not better luck and time preparation next time around.so good luck to all who have to sit exams in dec not the best of time is it.
  • rubydalerubydale New Member Posts: 6Registered
    that is a very good idea that`s exactly what i done, its help u get a better understanding of the question
  • ykwong1978ykwong1978 Feels At Home Posts: 48Registered
    Thanks for the reply.
    On another note, I have just completed the IAC paper June 2007, and do not understand why I got Task 1.9 (b) wrong [the question is below]

    You are to record the journal entries in the main ledger to correct the following:

    A bank payment of £75 for electricity has been recorded as a petty cash payment.

    I thought it'll be
    Electricity 75 (Dr)
    Petty Cash 75 (Cr)


    Can someone please shed some light on why the answer is
    Petty Cash 75 (Dr)
    Bank 75 (Cr)
  • jiltjilt Font Of All Knowledge Posts: 2,903Registered
    ykwong1978 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.
    On another note, I have just completed the IAC paper June 2007, and do not understand why I got Task 1.9 (b) wrong [the question is below]

    You are to record the journal entries in the main ledger to correct the following:

    A bank payment of £75 for electricity has been recorded as a petty cash payment.

    I thought it'll be
    Electricity 75 (Dr)
    Petty Cash 75 (Cr)


    Can someone please shed some light on why the answer is
    Petty Cash 75 (Dr)
    Bank 75 (Cr)

    Because you're correcting a transaction that has already been posted.

    Transaction already posted Dr Electricity Cr Petty cash

    Payment actually came out of the bank so you want to correct that by

    Dr Petty cash - put in back in
    Cr bank - take it out of the bank

    Maybe you're doing what I do and not reading the question correctly, we need to slow down, or get some new glasses lol

    Hope that helps
  • ThomasDThomasD Settling In Nicely Posts: 19Registered
    The DR in the electricity account was correct all along and so it should stay the same but it came from the wrong place i.e petty cash instead of bank account.

    So all you need to do is change where the money came from. Hence debit petty cash (to correct error) and credit bank (which should have been credited in the first place).
  • Tina WTina W New Member Posts: 6Registered
    Gulp!!

    I sit my exam tomorrow as well, and have found home learning to be much harder than expected - what with work and everything. As a result, I have not spent as much time revising as I feel I should have - that said, I have used the weekend and today to do past exam papers and have been surprised by how much I do know.

    Still getting a few wrong, but will just have to keep fingers crossed on the day!

    Good luck to everyone else sitting the exam tomorrow!
  • Rebecca498Rebecca498 Feels At Home Posts: 33Registered
    I have my unit 30 exam tomorrow I'm very nervous. And like you Tina, feel I should have done a lot more revision then I actually have!

    I just keeping thinking that by this time tomorrow I can go home and do nothing all evening lol

    Good luck everyone :)
  • redzhellredzhell Feels At Home Posts: 26Registered
    Just done all the mocks but I'm a bit angry as I found that the mock answers had wrong totals on! I may just being blind or being big headed but one thing in particular that really got to me was the trial balance on FTC 1 - June 2006 where it would not balance! I found out what the source of the problem was but it still would not balance as it was completely wrong on the answer sheet. It said that both the 'Purchases' and Purchases returns' were on the debit side?!?!

    Also, £95.00 - £76.50 is £13.50 apparently? I know they're only minor things but what if it's a matter of passing and failing just because they gave the wrong answers? I mean would the people marking our work understand what they are marking?

    Sorry about this - I just really felt to rant as the past 3 mocks I did had anomalies on them which makes me a bit worried?
  • margery dawemargery dawe Just Joined Posts: 4Registered
    ykwong1978 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.
    On another note, I have just completed the IAC paper June 2007, and do not understand why I got Task 1.9 (b) wrong [the question is below]

    You are to record the journal entries in the main ledger to correct the following:

    A bank payment of £75 for electricity has been recorded as a petty cash payment.

    I thought it'll be
    Electricity 75 (Dr)
    Petty Cash 75 (Cr)


    Can someone please shed some light on why the answer is
    Petty Cash 75 (Dr)
    Bank 75 (Cr)

    Hello everyone

    This is my first post on the forum, although I have been reading the forum from time to time. My first exam is tomorrow and feeling quite confident.

    I made exactly the same mistake today with the question above, I just didn't read the question properly. I have done a few past exam papers now and usually the mistakes I make are because I didn't read the question properly ..... very frustrating!!!

    I completed 3 past papers today and with my rough marking scheme I scored 93%, 94% and 95% so I am feeling confident.

    I can't believe how things seem so much easier now than when I first started studying. It used to take me ages to work out if things were a debit or credit and now I know without thinking. Thank God as I didn't think it was ever going to sink in and I just wouldn't be able to 'get it'!!

    Good luck to everyone for tomorrow.

    I'm sitting mine at Kaplan in Reading.
  • MargaMarga Experienced Mentor Posts: 981Registered
    well good luck all for tomorrow


    i hope we all pass!!!!
  • BlueberryBlueberry New Member Posts: 9Registered
    redzhell wrote: »
    Just done all the mocks but I'm a bit angry as I found that the mock answers had wrong totals on! I may just being blind or being big headed but one thing in particular that really got to me was the trial balance on FTC 1 - June 2006 where it would not balance! I found out what the source of the problem was but it still would not balance as it was completely wrong on the answer sheet. It said that both the 'Purchases' and Purchases returns' were on the debit side?!?!

    Also, £95.00 - £76.50 is £13.50 apparently? I know they're only minor things but what if it's a matter of passing and failing just because they gave the wrong answers? I mean would the people marking our work understand what they are marking?

    Sorry about this - I just really felt to rant as the past 3 mocks I did had anomalies on them which makes me a bit worried?

    ^^I've also found this along the way! Just wondering what you meant by FTC 1 -June 06, because I tried to look up your problem on my paper but everything was ok? I think the FTC means something that I'm missing.
  • redzhellredzhell Feels At Home Posts: 26Registered
    Blueberry wrote: »
    ^^I've also found this along the way! Just wondering what you meant by FTC 1 -June 06, because I tried to look up your problem on my paper but everything was ok? I think the FTC means something that I'm missing.

    Well I got sent a revision pack from Kaplan and it included FTC 1 & 2 on there which looked liked all the other mock papers I've done so I don't know. I am a bit relieved now though when you said you've found problems along the way so it's not just me being bonkers!

    Good luck with the exams everybody - I'm sure we won't need it :P
  • dziumbrauskaitedziumbrauskaite Feels At Home Posts: 42Registered
    I wish everybody good luck with the exam!!! We can do it! :)
  • ThomasDThomasD Settling In Nicely Posts: 19Registered
    I'm on my way to Dartford for my exam.

    Good luck everyone!! Here we go!
  • ThomasDThomasD Settling In Nicely Posts: 19Registered
    Now I'm still on my way back from Dartford to Chadwell Heath. I think it went pretty well. I couldn't get the trial balance to balance to begin with but got there in the end. Also, in the bank reconcilliation I couldn't get it to work out unless I left out a receipt for 1368 from the cash book. It was a bank giro reciept.

    Also couldn't figure out whether your friend could get a refund for the printer or not. In the end I put 'no' but I know it was wrong now.

    I'm on the Diploma pathway unit 30 IAC.

    All in all it was OK. I definitely did my best.
  • MargaMarga Experienced Mentor Posts: 981Registered
    hi Thomas i so did the same exam and found it quite good...

    in the bank reconciliation there was a chque or something that needed to be disregarded as the opening balances in both the cash and the bank statement were not the same so one had the other figure included or viceversa so i think you are right
  • dziumbrauskaitedziumbrauskaite Feels At Home Posts: 42Registered
    Hi Thomas,

    I think you will pass!
    I think I did quite well, but I coulnd't get it to work too...
    And when I was attempting the past papers at home I find the bank reconcilliation very easy...
Sign In or Register to comment.