Home For AAT student members AQ 2013 AAT Level 2 (Level 5 in Scotland)
Current updates regarding coronavirus (Covid-19) and the precautions AAT are taking will be continually updated on the below page.

Please check this link for the latest updates:
We hope you are all safe and well and if you need us we will be here. 💚

Doing the aat without a 'learning provider'. Just the books

alexmitchellalexmitchell Feels At HomeRegistered Posts: 58
Is this possible

To be honest I rarely contact my training provider. Anything I get stuck on I research using google and the aat forums.

All the books I got from my provider I could of just bought from amazon/ebay. The past exam papers and guidance is all on the aat web site...

Anyone ever thought about just not using a training provider and just learning from the books then taking the exams with the aat directly?

(not sure if this would work with simulations)

alex

Comments

• Claire321Claire321 Well-Known Registered Posts: 209
    I sat Business Tax and Personal Tax in December just buying books from premier training:
    http://premiertrainingstore.co.uk/acatalog/

However you do need a training provider for the simulations. If you have a supervisor e.g your manager at work you can just request the simulations from your provider, sit them at work, and send them back to be marked.

If you don't have a supervisor then you will need to attend a training provider to sit the simulations.

I believe you are able to purchase each unit separatly for simulations with most providers. I am with BPP for home study and they charge £75 per simulation/unit. They are however keen to sell you the whole package for each unit which includes books, support etc.

Hope this helps

Claire
  • alexmitchellalexmitchell Feels At Home Registered Posts: 58
    Hmm thats really useful thanks. I think I may well try to do it 'the budget way' when i switch to intermediate. (If I can get a provider to do just the simulations).

What level are you at?
    I've still got Unit 5 and Unit 6 simulations to do at Intermediate and then the Unit 10 Project at Technician (NVQ route).

To be honest getting the simulations done has been the bain of life as I've had all the exams done for a while and changed from doing unit 15 & 17 at Technician to Personal and Business Tax in December but it's hard for me to get the simulations done as I don't have a supervisor.

If you need to attend a provider to sit simulations I would recommend checking the availability they offer. I can only really take them on Saturdays/evenings which is why its taking me so long. I've had a lot of trouble obtaining dates and making bookings with BPP.

If you are yet to take any units where there are exams and simulations I would suggest buying the books independently (you can shop around for price online & which publisher you prefer) and the then approach a training provider just for the simulation.
  • RinskeRinske Font Of All Knowledge Registered Posts: 2,453
    When I started my course I got a list of suitable supervisors and one of them was the librarian of the local library. Not sure if that goes for all providers, but it might be an option to check out for you as well Claire? It's just a suggestion, but I'm not sure if you have one local you could ask or not and if all providers would accept that as an option.
    Rinske wrote: »
    When I started my course I got a list of suitable supervisors and one of them was the librarian of the local library. Not sure if that goes for all providers, but it might be an option to check out for you as well Claire? It's just a suggestion, but I'm not sure if you have one local you could ask or not and if all providers would accept that as an option.

Thanks for the suggestion, I checked with my local library and they said they couldn't really help as its all open plan and they couldn't spare staff to supervise which can understand.

When I first started studying for AAT nearly 5 years ago I had a workplace supervisor, for the first few simulations at Foundation. It was really easy to go and sit in a meeting room at work to complete the simulations and then send them off to be marked.
  • alexmitchellalexmitchell Feels At Home Registered Posts: 58
    Library? Thats a really good idea. Hadnt thought of that.

Ive even seen people in my local library taking exams.

cheers

Would save me driving for 2 hours to bristol each time!
  • kimmyjkimmyj Just Joined Registered Posts: 3
    I did go with home learning college but to be quite honest I went out and bought the Osborne books as the study materials are rubbish. The only thing I communicate with them about is the assignments because I have to do them before I sit my exams but other than that I wish I had done it just by buying the books!
  • SharleenSharleen Feels At Home Registered Posts: 36
    Hi

I've been thinking the exact same thing. I bought units 30 and 31 as a home learning course from BBP. While I think BPP are good the £500 it costs seems like a waste as I've never contacted the tutor and that seems to be what they are charging you for over and above the cost of the materials. That and marking your mock exam which you can do yourself from past papers on this site anyway. I work for an accountancy firm so I'm surrounded by potential tutors!

I'm planning to do the rest of the qualification by just buying BPP's training materials, which should come in at about £50 per unit, much cheaper.
  • JaffasGirlJaffasGirl Trusted Regular Registered Posts: 387
    I called BPP and asked them why the amount on their distance learning form for Learning Materials was so much higher than what it would cost me to buy it direct from BPP learning media, ( around double the price) and they didnt have an answer, it took me speaking to three people for someone to say, 'sorry but you cant purchase the course module on its own, you have to pay for the whole lot' - what a rip off.

Now for those people who have done the first year AAT, would you say that it would be easy to do unit 30 without a training provider? if i just bought the books from BPP and did it on my own? i have a friend who has done the first two years and she'll help me if i get stuck, so i have a tutor in a way. I've also done a bookkeeping course, so i know the basics.

I just really want to start this as soon as i can and i dont want to wait to save about £200 per unit when i can do it for £40 plus exam costs.

Thanks for your help.
  • bozenabozena Settling In Nicely Registered Posts: 20
    only books and nothing else

Hi everyone,
    I started with AAT in January this year, passed unit 30, 5 and 6. Toady done unit 32, next Wednesday i booked unit 34 and 36. Oh! I have got unit 36 at home, ordered at BPP.

I do the AAT without any learning provider and tell the true it works. Initially i bought two books : Frank Wood's "Business Accounting" 1 (£14.75 with shipping)) and 2 (£30.23 with shipping)). These books cover all which is need for three exams that i successfully passed. It seems to me that unit Business Accounting 2 covers also unit 11 Drafting Financial Statement and partly unit 33 Management Accounting.
    I strongly recommend Colin Drury's "Management and Cost Accounting" (£14.35), especially if you think about ACCA or CIMA qualification. Based only on these books and of course on the internet i did not need any learning provider. Of course i had to pay separately for each exam but all together it cost me about ... hmmm less
    I have already ordered a book for unit 15 Cash Management ... i booked it because i have problem with my English level, written especially :)
    Exams can be booked at any of the learning centres (BPP, Kaplan or colleges).
    Here you are more details about simulation test:
    Dear Bozena,

I have attached a list of acceptable supervisors, you must find someone who fits the criteria yourself. The supervisor must call 0845 075 1100 and register with us. Once they are registered the supervisor must email [email protected] to request your simulation. They should provide a postal address to send it to and the date you intend to sit it. You have 10 working days to return it to us once we post it.

Should you require any further details or advice please do not hesitate to contact us.

and the attachment:

AAT ACCEPTABLE SUPERVISORS

Here is a list of all type of people who are either acceptable or not acceptable as a registered supervisor:

Acceptable:
    Current Employer
    Former employer
    Training/Line Manager
    Professionally qualified person bound by an ethical code i.e. accountant, solicitor, doctor
    Teacher/lecturer
    Librarian
    Member of the clergy
    Careers officer
    Job club official
    Referee (excluding personal referee) used for job applications
    Member of AAT district society

Unacceptable:
    Family member
    Friend
    Former colleague whose status was not senior to student
    Fellow student, even if nearly qualified
    Neighbor
    Manager who is not related to student’s role

I hope this help!
  • CutecuteCutecute New Member Registered Posts: 14
    bozena wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    I started with AAT in January this year, passed unit 30, 5 and 6. Toady done unit 32, next Wednesday i booked unit 34 and 36. Oh! I have got unit 36 at home, ordered at BPP.

I do the AAT without any learning provider and tell the true it works. Initially i bought two books : Frank Wood's "Business Accounting" 1 (£14.75 with shipping)) and 2 (£30.23 with shipping)). These books cover all which is need for three exams that i successfully passed. It seems to me that unit Business Accounting 2 covers also unit 11 Drafting Financial Statement and partly unit 33 Management Accounting.
    I strongly recommend Colin Drury's "Management and Cost Accounting" (£14.35), especially if you think about ACCA or CIMA qualification. Based only on these books and of course on

Hi,
    you are really clever to do it on your own. I have been studied Frank Wood and Osborne Introductory accounting. but I am still no confidence to do it on my own, so I signed on with kaplan distance learning, only unit 30 as I dont have money to sign up all at the same time.
    How are you now, what level you on now? still doing it without learning provider? You working now related with account?

Kind regards,
    cutecute
  • JaffasGirlJaffasGirl Trusted Regular Registered Posts: 387

AAT ACCEPTABLE SUPERVISORS

Here is a list of all type of people who are either acceptable or not acceptable as a registered supervisor:

Acceptable:
    Current Employer
    Former employer
    Training/Line Manager
    Professionally qualified person bound by an ethical code i.e. accountant, solicitor, doctor
    Teacher/lecturer
    Librarian
    Member of the clergy
    Careers officer
    Job club official
    Referee (excluding personal referee) used for job applications
    Member of AAT district society

Unacceptable:
    Family member
    Friend
    Former colleague whose status was not senior to student
    Fellow student, even if nearly qualified
    Neighbor
    Manager who is not related to student’s role

What about a friend who is AAT qualified? she will technically also be my 'manager' as she will be the person i report to when i volunteer in her office.
    Hi Cutecute,

Well, actually i am intelligent enough to study on my own. Everyone is able to learn on its own, including you, without exception. It depends on how much time you study, textbooks and exercises. Practice makes perfect.
    Wish you good luck!
    JaffasGirl wrote: »
    What about a friend who is AAT qualified? she will technically also be my 'manager' as she will be the person i report to when i volunteer in her office.

Very short answer: in my opinion she cannot be your supervisor as she is your friend. But ask your learning provider or AAT.
    Hi Cutecute,

Well, actually i am intelligent enough to study on my own. Everyone is able to learn on its own, including you, without exception. It depends on how much time you study, textbooks and exercises. Practice makes perfect.
    Wish you good luck!

Hi, thanks for your reply. I jz finished my study unit 30 last
    week. Have been practicing doing mock tests everyday. Thinking to take the exam around MAY. Jz wonder, do u know bout AAT Fast track to ACA in 4yrs?

Please advise.
    Thank you
  • Dipak ThankiDipak Thanki Well-Known Registered Posts: 135
    I would imagine, it would be rather difficult to do AAT without a learning provider.

It may take you hours to find a mistake, a teacher will tell you instantly.
    Congratulations Cutecute!!!
    The only fast track i have heard is AAT, you can take Computer Test Exams (CBE) but it may change from July. All exams will available via computer so that the result you will know immediately after each exam. Another advantage is that you can take exams not twice a year but when you are fully prepared (if you understood well). I am going to ask AAT about the procedures because there are some important changes to their rules from July this year.

Good luck!
    :) Bozena
    Jz signed on my unit 31. My material should be arrive anytime next week. My Unit 30 CBE booked on 5/5 with BPP Maidstone. I think as a external candidate they charging me about £46-56. Can't remember. Is anyone doin unit 31?
  • pinkloverpinklover Just Joined Registered Posts: 2
    New beginning!?

Hi all,

I'm so glad to come across this forum and this exact topic I had in mind. I'm considering a change in career and decided to aim for getting an accounting qualification. I'll soon be moving to Germany for at least 1 year, possibily 2 and during that time, I'm planning to start the Certificate course and after researching my options, I was surprise to see the cost of each unit etc and also wondering if I can DIY it myself.

I've done some accounting studies before, so at least have a little understanding of it. I'm just wondering what steps should I now take to get started? Register as a student with the AAT first? order my books (via ebay/amazon)? start study and enrol myself to exams when ready?

I come across the simulations that mentioned on earlier posts and wondering if anyone know how much the training provider would charge if I'm getting someone else as supervisor? Also, because of the change in July, should I wait after that to get started as I might be enable to enrol on new course which possible won't require simulations and mainly just computer based exams?

I hope what I'm asking make sense!! I'm only new and reading up all the options can be confusing! My circumstances is that I might not be able to gain work while in Germany, I'm trying to cut my cost to a minimum and yet obtain the qualifications that I want.

Thanks for any advice!
    Hi pinklover, u said u study account before. What qualification was that? Can't u jump straight to level 3?
  • pinkloverpinklover Just Joined Registered Posts: 2
    Hi CuteCute,

No, not quite enough to get exemptions, I only did GCSE in Accounting..that is like 15 years ago now!! So, not that I remember much of it..but at least I have a basic understanding I guess. When I did my hospitality management degree there is a subject for financial accounting too but not so much in depth that I can count towards anything.

So, I'm afraid I need to start from scratch..I can't wait to be honest but not sure if I should hang on till the changes come after July or not?!
    Pinklover,
    how many hours per day can u study? If u can study full time at least 8hours per day at home, actually u can completed unit 30 in less than 2-3weeks as u already got the basic knowledge of accounting. I jz Start my unit 31 so I can't say how long it take.. u got MAY & JUNE. So it is depends on u want to wait until after July or not.. If I were u, I would completed level 2 in UK I think is easier for u to concentrate to do the rest of lvl 3 & 4 in German..

What I did was I registered with AAT then I look around and picked one of distance learning provider, I only paid for each unit at one time. So far I am happy with my learning provider that's why I signed on my unit 31 + Sage with them. It is bit more to pay each unit compare to pay whole level but atleast I could pick and choose if I'm not happy. Study at home is hard that's why learning provider is very important.

Let me know what's ur decision, start now or wait..