Home For AAT student members AQ 2013 AAT Level 2 (Level 5 in Scotland)
Current updates regarding coronavirus (Covid-19) and the precautions AAT are taking will be continually updated on the below page.

Please check this link for the latest updates:
We hope you are all safe and well and if you need us we will be here. 💚

Kaplan unit 31, page 129, figure for 'turnover at year 1 (20x0 prices)' help!

alexmitchellalexmitchell Feels At HomeRegistered Posts: 58
Hi

Got stuck on a figure asked for in activity 3 (page 129, unit 31 study book). It gives you a company's 3 year results and asks for;

a) net profit {done
b) net profit as a % of turnover {done
c) average staff costs {done
d) turnover at year 1 (20x0) prices {stuck on this one

the answers are given on page 132 but I cant work out how they got to those figures

can anyone help?

Comments

• dziumbrauskaitedziumbrauskaite Feels At Home Registered Posts: 42
    Ive got stuck as well on that... cant work out even from the answer...

Cant work out task 2 part (a)..

Room occupancy ?
    Revenue per emlpoyee done
    Profit before fixed charges as a percentage of revenue done
    Average revenue per room let ?
  • alexmitchellalexmitchell Feels At Home Registered Posts: 58
    Ive emailed my tutor about task 1, d. I will let you know when I get a reply

As for the other parts;

calculating room occupancy

at the beginning of the report it explains the hotel is open 365 days per year. We know that there are 120 rooms per day so
    365x120 = 43800
    In year 20x0 28400 rooms are let

so we need to show 28400 as a % of 43800

100 / 43800 = ANS
    ANS x 28400 = 64.84% you can then do that for years 20x1 and 20x2

Average revenue pre room let

its turnover / rooms let
    so 3,200,000 / 28400 = £113 for year 20x0

hope this helps!
    oh thank you for your reply! Yes, it did help me! :)
    Dzium my tutors given me the answer to (d);

3200,000 / 100 x 100 = 3200,000

2910,000 / 107 x 100 = 2719,626

3600,000 / 111 x 100 = 3243,243

easy when you know how!
    thank you Alex!

by the way, how do you contact your tutor? I just know my tutor's name, but how to contact her....

today i was going through the chapter 9 and stuck on the example, page 173...on the calculation of the VAT in the deposit. what 7 divided by 47 means?

thank you!
    The 7/47 is a way of calculating VAT at 17.5%. The way the kaplan book shows you isnt the way I would do it as im used to doing it my way if you seee what I mean!

Kaplan book
    40=100%
    47=117.5%
    7=17.5%
    So you want to find 17.5% OF £50 (their example). You do 50 x (7/47) = 7.44

The way I would do it: 50 / 117.5 = 0.42553.
    Then 0.42553 * 17.5 = 7.44

Theres lots of other ways of doing it. Just gotta find which works for you

If you give kaplan a call they should be able to give you the name and email address of your course tutor. Other than that it is probably in one of the letters from kaplan you would of received when you first signed up.

:)
    Hey Alex,

thank you once again for your helpful information!!!! ;)
    no probs dude
    Hey,

oh I feel so behind with my studies... but I cant find a time to study...

I managed to do the progress test last week, but thats it.. I need to move forward and get on going. The last chapter was chapter 9...

How far are you?
    Im up to chapter 11 now. To be honest it has got much easier since chapter 9...
    hey,

I am going through the chapter 11 too! agree with you, it has got much easier, just wonder for how long...
    hopefully a while!

Dzium are you using the sage 60 day trial version from kaplan?

Its good, when it expires, if you call sage on 0191 2943000 they will unlock it to a full 12 month version.
    Very nice as it would cost you £80 if you bought it from a shop!
    Hey Alex!

at the moment yes, im using the trial version from kaplan and i think its great, that its possible to get 12 month version just by calling sage :)

oh, now im up to chapter 15...there is so much information to remember...

by the way, when you think you would be ready to have first simulation? Do we need to book them?
    Hey Dizum

I called kaplan and they said the simulation is already paid for. Its not like the exams which you have to pay for and book through the aat.

My practice simulation was supposed to be done today but i am a bit behind so i think I will do it on monday or tuesday.

My real simulation is planned for the 19 feb (parts 1 & 2) then part 3 on the 19th of march.

Its been going slowly but im getting there

I think the hardest bit so far in unit 31 has been the ratios in chapter 6. The rest is quite easy but just takes ages as theres a lot of reading to be done.

keep at it dude

a
  • redzhellredzhell Feels At Home Registered Posts: 26
    Hello everyone,

On my Distance Learning Work Programme, the AWS Familairisation is scheduled for 19/02/10 but what does that mean?! Do I need to go into a centre and do it or what?

I als found a Practise Simulation in my portfolio which I'm gonna talk to Kaplan about as I'm missing a few info. I'm doing the distance learning so I gotta work out things on my own as my tutor/s is/are useles!!
    Hey Redzill

Looks like you got the same date to do your 1st simulation as me!

As far as im aware they email/post you some documents and you have to do two parts;
    1) create a new business in sage complete with customer/supplier accounts & do some activites like generating reports, printing invoice, etc

2) Do an excel project

I think once its done you either print off your work and post it or email them the save files or something.

For this you do not need to go to an exam centre. Ideally if you have a company director/manager etc they can supervise you for the 1-3 hours you are allowed, to do the simulation. This just means they have to sign to say you didnt cheat.

For the 2nd part of the simulation you need to do a project for which you get a month. I dont know much about this but will be starting mine on 19/03/10

Are you studying with kaplan??

Alex
    Hey Alex,

I think I know what you mean but reading from your previous post, our dates aren't exactly matching as shown below:

AWS Familiarisation Simulation 19/02/10
    AWS Simulation (Part 1) 19/03/10
    AWS Simulation (Part 2) 19/03/10
    AWS Simulation (Part 3) 16/04/10

So, what I'm confused about is the very first one at the top of the list. I assume that I just do the Practice Simulation that's included in my portfolio and send it off to them?!

Did you have to do that Familiarisation Simulation as well?

Yes, I am with Kaplan (Distance Learning) but I will be enrolling with a 'physical' college for my Advanced Certificate as I find that the 'tutor support' that I paid for is non-existent!
    Hey Alex,

my sister came to visit me, so I wasnt studying... I am so behind now, that I am panicking... Now I am up to chapter 15, but also I have to do Sage...
    And the dates for simulations are the same as yours..

by the way, have you done the practice simulation? as i looked at it, it needs to be done on Sage, so how you will send them?

And if you real simulation is planned for 19th Feb it means you need to do it that date?

oh, please help as I am really confused at the moment..:(
    redzhell wrote: »
    Hey Alex,

I think I know what you mean but reading from your previous post, our dates aren't exactly matching as shown below:

AWS Familiarisation Simulation 19/02/10
    AWS Simulation (Part 1) 19/03/10
    AWS Simulation (Part 2) 19/03/10
    AWS Simulation (Part 3) 16/04/10

So, what I'm confused about is the very first one at the top of the list. I assume that I just do the Practice Simulation that's included in my portfolio and send it off to them?!

Did you have to do that Familiarisation Simulation as well?

Yes, I am with Kaplan (Distance Learning) but I will be enrolling with a 'physical' college for my Advanced Certificate as I find that the 'tutor support' that I paid for is non-existent!

Hi redzhill

Yeah sorry you were right our dates are not the same. As far as i am aware parts 1 + 2 of the simulation are done on sage. Im pretty sure you just do the practice simulation then have to print out your work and save it on a removeable storage device then send it to them to be marked.

I didnt do the simulation as i do not have a printer and it would be a bit of a hassle. If you go through the photo copied A4 sage manual in your kaplan hard folder (192 pages long), it will take you through what is nessasary in the simulation anyway.

dizium

I think if you are worried you are too far behind it wouldnt be a problem to move all your days back a month to give you extra time. Just call your tutor I should.

something else worth noting is that I think if you plan to move on to intermediate and take any exams in the June sitting you must register to do this by the 1st of march which is quite soon..!

alex
    Hi Alex,

thank you for your reply!

I called Kaplan and they said, that the dates on our work programm are suggested dates and we can do our simulations whenever we are ready. :)

The girl said, just if I need much time as 5-6 months, then I need to give them a call and they will see, what they can do about it. But one month would be enough for me.

Just I forgot to ask about the practise simulation, how to send it to them.
    Hey Dzium,

Thats good news that you can take your time. Hopefully 1 month and you will have learnt it all.

I think with the simulation you have to save your work on a removable storage device and print out various reports then send it all to them.
    Hi Alex,

I do have a question about sage..

As i installed it in to my computer , I set up a new company Eft Tee Shirts Ltd(chapter 11, page 228) and was practising.

But I noticed, that in the practise simulation I need to set up new company.. How I will do that as I already created a company. How I can call Easy Startup Wizard?
    (from the sage forum)

"To get back to the wizard, do the following:

1. Go into Instant and go to Help -> About -> System Information -> Directories.
    2. Right click on the Data directory and choose Open Folder.
    3. Close Instant
    4. In the folder that opened, delete ALL the files.
    5. Go back into Instant and the Wizard will start. "

God knows what I would do without online forums..!
    Alex,

You're a one man band! Seems like everyone're relying on you to answer their questions! :P

Rei
    Hey Alex,

thank yuo once again for your help!

God knows what I would do without Alex..! :)
    Thats ok guys no worries

glad to be of assistance!
    Hey Alex!

how was your first simulation? I hope, that it was easy for you and you did it without any problems!!!!

oh, I still need to do and send to Kaplan my practise simulation... by the way, how you did that? as that practise simulation needs to be done in sage..