Home For AAT student members AQ 2013 AAT Level 2 (Level 5 in Scotland)
Current updates regarding coronavirus (Covid-19) and the precautions AAT are taking will be continually updated on the below page.

Please check this link for the latest updates:
We hope you are all safe and well and if you need us we will be here. 💚

New to Foundation Certificate at ripe old age of 55!!

Mrs DeeMrs Dee Just JoinedRegistered Posts: 3
Good morning all.
This is such a new and exciting experience for me. Having worked at some level of accounts through all my working life I decided that it was about time I had some qualifications! So, here I am...
Work has kindly paid for me to take the distance learning programme with Kaplan for the Certificate Foundation - Diploma.
Maybe it is my age - that's my excuse - but all this talk of tests, simulations etc is baffling me. I know I shall be sitting a 3 hour exam in June so I am working through the Unit 30 book from beginning to end. But could someone kindly explain what I am suppose to do about the simulations etc?? and how I go about sitting mock tests?? And please tell me this is all worth it!!
kind regards
Dee

Comments

• sharonjsharonj Well-Known Registered Posts: 166
    Hi Dee

I started studying the diploma route a year ago. I work in banking but wanted to gain experience within another area of finance to broaden my horizons and job opportunities. I can tell you that it is quite a lot of work but enjoyable if it's something you really want to do. I don't think age is a factor if you believe you will gain from it. I'm 34 and waited until I had had children before I realised that I actually love to learn new things and how exciting it can be to have a sense of achievement when you learn something completely new and actually begin to understand why and how things work.

I don't think you do simulations doing the diploma route, I think simulations are for the NVQ route. I know that doing unit 30 you only have to do an exam. There are skills tests for other units but these can be sat with a supervisor from your work overseeing your test or a trusted person such as a school teacher, librarian etc etc. As for mock tests, I actually used previous years tests that are available on the AAT website and timed myself. The answers and chief examiners reports are also available so you can see the common mistakes people make. I'm studying with Premier Training, distance learning and they give you practice examinations that can be sent to your tutor for marking. I would assume that Kaplan would offer something similar.

I'm doing Advanced certificate now and am really enjoying it. I would say it's never too late to learn something new, using your brain is what keeps you young and I enjoy learning more now than I ever did when I was at school or in further education.

Good luck
  • A-VicA-Vic Expertise Guaranteed Registered Posts: 6,970
    Hi Sharon

Sorry to say but you do have to do simulation doing the diploma route these will be:-

Unit 15, 31, 32 10(if you cant use work related)

Dee if you talk to kaplin they may be able to assist you with this
    Hi A-vic

I think Premier training call them 'skills tests' instead of simulations. I'm doing unit 32, Professional Ethics at the moment for the Advanced Certificate and I don't have any simulations listed on my timetable set by my tutor but I do have to do a 'skills test' which I assume is the same as a simulation. I think different distance providers may refer to them differently but I agree that as per my timetable I do have to do skills tests for units 31, 32 and 15 and when I get to Diploma I'm sure there will be more.

I know that the NVQ route there are a lot more work based and evidence based simulations but I thought that the Diploma route was more for people that are not necesarily working in an accounting role.
    sharonj wrote: »
    Hi A-vic

I think Premier training call them 'skills tests' instead of simulations. I'm doing unit 32, Professional Ethics at the moment for the Advanced Certificate and I don't have any simulations listed on my timetable set by my tutor but I do have to do a 'skills test' which I assume is the same as a simulation. I think different distance providers may refer to them differently but I agree that as per my timetable I do have to do skills tests for units 31, 32 and 15 and when I get to Technician I'm sure there will be more.

I know that the NVQ route there are a lot more work based and evidence based simulations but I thought that the Diploma route was more for people that are not necesarily working in an accounting role.

They are the same sharon i take part-time one day a week along side with the NVQers who in my college do 2.5 days a week these dont work in practise. But they do sit the same simulations but with a few more added.

I took units 31 in certificate and did units 32 and 15 in advanced. Thank goodness only unit 10 to complete which am glad i can base on work. But yes same thing just use different names.
    I haven't actually done any yet, only exams so it will be interesting to see what they actually contain. All I know is that they are supposed to take about 3 to 4 hours to complete and are quite involved. Not looking forward to doing my professional ethics one as there is so much information to remember and I've found professional ethics quite hard going after doing FRA which I really enjoyed. I just want to get it finished so I can do unit 31 (another skills test involved there too). At least you only have one to go and can use your work. I'm not sure what I will do when the time comes as I currently work in banking in a payments department (nothing to do with accounts at all). I'm sure I'll sort it out when the time comes. Hmmm?
    i know your dreading it but i found unit 32 ethics one of the nice ones self explanitery and common sence. Now unit 15 cash management thats another story.

The project you might be able to use your work enviroment - mine am doing it on the new client proceedures at work (not very finance orientated).

Good luck with your studies sharon and dee :)
    A-Vic wrote: »
    i know your dreading it but i found unit 32 ethics one of the nice ones self explanitery and common sence. Now unit 15 cash management thats another story.

The project you might be able to use your work enviroment - mine am doing it on the new client proceedures at work (not very finance orientated).

Good luck with your studies sharon and dee :)

Ok, that's good to know, thanks.
  • Mrs DeeMrs Dee Just Joined Registered Posts: 3
    Many thanks for your feedback Sharon and A-Vic

I think the best thing I can do now is email my tutor for more information on what will be expected of me. I have been reading through all the paperwork I have received from Kaplan and I have come across her name!

I believe Unit 31 is based on Sage which should be a blast from the past for me as I used it in a previous employment. Although I thought I knew basic double entry well enough but it has stopped me in my tracks once or twice! I think my biggest problem is not reading the question well enough, when I come to look at the answer I realise I misread the question!

Good luck to both of you with your studies and thanks again

Dee
  • JanJan Experienced Mentor Registered Posts: 654
    Mrs Dee, we all feel overwhelmed with it all at first.... and yes it is worth it!

Sounds as if the hardest thing for you will be reading the question, and you're not on your own there.
  • steveJsteveJ Experienced Mentor Registered Posts: 694
    Welcome Mrs Dee...

Like Sharon said its never too late to learn something new and i think that youll really get into once you get going.

Remember, we're always here and sometimes you may need to let ya hair down a bit and join us in the chat forum.

GOOD LUCK !!