Home For AAT student members AQ 2013 AAT Level 2 (Level 5 in Scotland)
Current updates regarding coronavirus (Covid-19) and the precautions AAT are taking will be continually updated on the below page.

Please check this link for the latest updates:
We hope you are all safe and well and if you need us we will be here. 💚

Experience

JaffasGirlJaffasGirl Trusted RegularRegistered Posts: 387
Hi All,

I know this isnt completely related to the foundation level, but i've been hunting around for a job in accounts for about 6 months now and there seem to be none about (at least where i live)

I was wondering how people here got their start in accountancy, and if anyone has any suggestions for places I can go for experience. So that at least when a job does pop up, it doenst look like i've sat on my arse for the last year...

Thanks

Comments

• steveJsteveJ Experienced Mentor Registered Posts: 694
    Are you working at the moment ? Could you find out who the manager to the finance department is and have a word...

I worked on a production line for 5 years and suddenly noticed a job for a billing clerk. Ive only been working at this new role for 2-3 months so far and am really enjoying it.

Also, i would suggest possibly looking for jobs such as admin assistant, office junior etc etc as this could give you valuable office experience and hopefully lead you onto a possible finance related job.

Check this link out:-

http://www.do-it.org.uk/

Its a great resource for voluntary work.

GOOD LUCK...

Just keep on studying and im sure finance/accountancy jobs will show themselves !!!
  • JaffasGirlJaffasGirl Trusted Regular Registered Posts: 387
    Hi,

thanks for the advice, but I am already working as an administrator in an estate agents - no finance department and I have 3 and a half years office experience.

I'm looking for more finance related experience. It's been suggested that I try and get experience volunteering in an accounts office, any recruiters out there that would look favourably on that? I've seen jobs for short term contracts but I work full time and can't afford to quit my current job only to end up without one in six months.

Also I am about to turn 22 and I'm concerned that employers will start to think that I'm deciding on a career in accountacy a little late ( I left school four years ago) and maybe I'm not as dedicated. Anyone come up against this when trying to get their first role?

Thanks
  • redzhellredzhell Feels At Home Registered Posts: 26
    OMG JaffasGirl, I thought I was reading something I might have previously posted!

I've been looking for accounting related jobs for the past 6 months too but I'm unemployed at the moment. I'm just living on my savings so I'm really desperate to get a job. I was a Secretary/Administrator in my previous roles (5 years office experience) but I have decided that accountancy is the way to go. Like you, I'm just about to turn 22, this April!

I have sent speculative letters to employers from accountancy to general offices offering my services to volunteer but nothing has come up. It's starting to really get me down. They keep saying they want someone with experience but how can I get one when they don't bloody let me get some!

I live in a little village and I am a non-driver so it's really difficult to get to places. Sometimes I wish I'd stay in Oxford as I really miss it :(

Let us know how you're doing with regard to job hunting etc and good luck!

Rei
  • timgrifftimgriff Feels At Home Registered Posts: 55
    Hi,

I know it's credit crunch time 'n all that, but have you tried the agencies? Maybe a role like purchase ledger assistant could get your foot in the door and help your cv with some experience.... I think all of the jobs I've had have been through agencies - including the ones where they just introduced me. Also sell the fact your studying for AAT and it should show your serious. Good luck!