Home For AAT student members AQ 2013 AAT Level 2 (Level 5 in Scotland)
Current updates regarding coronavirus (Covid-19) and the precautions AAT are taking will be continually updated on the below page.

Please check this link for the latest updates:
We hope you are all safe and well and if you need us we will be here. 💚

Newbie on Diploma Level 2 - BPP Home Study

sharumbasharumba Feels At HomeRegistered Posts: 33
Hi everyone,

Just received my books from BPP and thought maybe there would be a letter of introduction as to where to start!! Anyway, looks like need to read through the home study books first.

Has anyone any tips?
Does it matter which unit you cover first? Unit 30 or 34-36.

I must admit looks a bit daunting when you first open the box but i'm sure once i get my head around what to do then everything should be fine...

Any advice would be really appreciated as its probably 20 years since i ventured into home study.

Thanks

Shaun

Comments

• Claire321Claire321 Well-Known Registered Posts: 209
    Hi Shaun,

I know how you feel I'm with BPP home study as well - I order Foundation, Intermediate and Technician all together so you can imagine how much material I had!

I'm studying via the NVQ route so I had different units to the Diploma route but I would start with Unit 30 Introductory Accounting.

I'd start by reading through the text and attempting the exercises as you go. If there's bit you're not sure on just go back and re-read and practice more questions - it will suddenly all fit into place.

Once you've completed the text book you can complete some mock simulation or past exam papers depending on how that unit is assessed. I believe you can sent these in to BPP to be marked which will help with areas to revise and focus on. Allow a 2-3 weeks for them to be returned and I would recommend sending anything into BPP by recorded delivery.

Just concentrate on working through one unit at a time then it hopefully won't be too daunting

Good luck

Claire
  • sharumbasharumba Feels At Home Registered Posts: 33
    Thanks Claire,

Blimey, all 3 levels... A glutton for punishment!! It is starting to make sense reading through the guidance steps.

I think i panicked at the initial stage as was expecting a "welcome to your course, this is what you do etc"....

Thanks again for the help.

Shaun
    I Should point out I didn't actually study all three levels at the same time! I just had to order them to together for my employers to pay 50% as their study support contribution.

I'm sure you're aware and will work through your units reasonably quickly but just note that study support and simulations (i.e each unit) is valid for 18 months with BPP.
  • JaffasGirlJaffasGirl Trusted Regular Registered Posts: 387
    Hi Claire

How have you found BPP? are they helpful? answer queries etc?

Thanks
    JaffasGirl wrote: »
    Hi Claire

How have you found BPP? are they helpful? answer queries etc?

Thanks

To be honest I have had a few problems with BPP:

In the past they seem to say they haven't received mock simulations I've sent in to be marked so I would always recommend sending everything by recorded delivery - I think they advise you do to this now.

I've also had a few problems with the bookings of simulations through customer services. They haven't actually always booked me on when I've phoned to book them. I once travelled to London for a simulation (having got up at 4am) to find out they didn't have my papers and I therefore couldn't sit the simulation - I wasn't very happy! I now phone to check if I haven't received an email comfirmation to save anymore wasted trips.

Generally customer services, when you phone them don't seem to be able to answer your questions or you get different answers dependant on who you speak to - so it's best to ask to be put through to the AAT department.

The biggest problems I've had have been with the availablility and bookings of simulations, but off course this wouldn't have been a problem if I had a workplace supervisor and had have been able to sit simulations at work.

On the upside the study materials do seem to be fairy good. I've never used the tutorial support though.
  • JaffasGirlJaffasGirl Trusted Regular Registered Posts: 387
    Thanks Claire,

I am swaying towards using BPP as a company i was going close to working for (got down to the last interview!!) use them as their prefered learning provider. This company is quite well respected in town and their AAT students usually progress to the ACCA.

Perhaps i can give them a go for the first year and see how they are. Is it quite easy to switch providers for your second year?

Many Thanks
    I think it would be easy to swap providers between levels, as you would probably have to re-register for each level. I would think it would be fairly easy to swap providers between units if you were doing home study. But I guess it may take a while to see how a particular works, how to get support, when to send in mock exams/simlations etc so would be worth comleting a level like you say.
  • sharumbasharumba Feels At Home Registered Posts: 33
    Quite informative,

Things not going too bad once into it. Generally following BPP Guidance, reading through chapter quickly, then going back over it in more depth, answering questions and then questions at the end plus the revision books. I must admit the books explain everything quite clearly and take you piecemeal through things.

How long are people spending on a chapter, say in unit 30? Just interested.

Oh and final question, i was sent a link through for the etrack login. Is this just to track my progress once i have sent something back to bpp for assessment, or do i have to do anything with the etrack on diploma?

Thanks people for all your help.

Shaun
  • mynameislin0708mynameislin0708 Just Joined Registered Posts: 3
    I would agree with your process of following the BPP Guidance and I have also planned out completion dates for the Units allowing enough time to submit my mock exam paper and revision time (work backwards from the June exam date).

I am registered with the BPP etrack and submitted papers as requested, but unfortunately nothing has materialised so I'm not sure how effective the online tracking process is for Unit 30.

Good luck with your studies.