Home For AAT student members AQ 2013 AAT Level 2 (Level 5 in Scotland)
Current updates regarding coronavirus (Covid-19) and the precautions AAT are taking will be continually updated on the below page.

Please check this link for the latest updates:
We hope you are all safe and well and if you need us we will be here. 💚

Thinking of studying the Foundation course

Hi everyone, I've been looking into studying the Foundation course, I've previously done secretarial and office skills courses and decided perhaps I would like to do accounts.

Could people tell me what is studied on the course? Another thing, maths wasn't my strongest subject back when I was at school (I'm now 24) but I managed to get a C in the GCSE years ago.

Comments

• CookiemonsterCookiemonster New Member Registered Posts: 14
    Hi, I have the same things as you and I am studying the aat foundation. I am not going to lie to you when you start off it blows your mind. Trying to remember things and in which order to do them. Once you get your head round it, it will all click and you will find it's well worth it. I have few other qualifications but starting this course was best thing I could have done. The doors it opens is ongoing and rewarding. You should deffo do this course if you want climb the ladder x
  • keane155keane155 Trusted Regular Registered Posts: 404
    I think you should start the course if you are interested. Although you say maths wasn't your strongest subject, I got the same grade as you and I have had no problems with the maths side of things so far. I am currently working as an administrator and haven't gained accounts experience yet -hopefully will be able to soon though. I am now studying intermediate level, but like Cookiemonster said, it is difficlut at first and then one day it all clicks.

At foundation level you learn about double entry, the ledgers, day books, basically bookkeeping upto the trial balance. I think the AAT course is really useful though and I enjoy studying it.
  • PinkAmethystPinkAmethyst Just Joined Registered Posts: 2
    Thanks for your replies. I've applied for the course at a local college starting in September. I also applied for Pitman Bookkeeping and accounts level 1 which starts in April, I'm guessing this will come in useful before I start AAT foundation?
  • JaffasGirlJaffasGirl Trusted Regular Registered Posts: 387
    Defiantly.

Your bookkeeping course will give you a good grounding in double entry and subsidiary books, and maybe even the basics of VAT. All handy stuff for Unit 30 :D

Good luck with your studying!
  • A-VicA-Vic Expertise Guaranteed Registered Posts: 6,970
    hi pink like you i did a admin course and the pitmans bookeeping and accounts now three years on just about to sit my final exams in june for qualifaction and i put it down partly to the courses i did in the begining.

your definatley starting on the right foot

Good luck in your studies and if ever need help give these lot a yell there fab :)