New - Starting Out

Viclar10Viclar10 New MemberPosts: 7Registered
Hi All.

I am after input from anyone that is currently studying foundation/certificate level AAT.

I am looking to start the course in July with Premier Training and with my first child due in the next week (hopefully!!) I am wanting to start getting materials bought now (stationary etc) to spread the cost so I dont have everything to pay for in July.

Please could you comment on what I will need stationary wise as would like to be well prepared and how you all keep notes on everything, do you make copies of most things and file to have to hand or do you keep it all pretty much electronic?

Thanks in advance!!

Vicky x

Comments

• LeeS2009LeeS2009 Font Of All Knowledge Posts: 1,515Registered
    Viclar10 wrote: »
    Hi All.

I am after input from anyone that is currently studying foundation/certificate level AAT.

I am looking to start the course in July with Premier Training and with my first child due in the next week (hopefully!!) I am wanting to start getting materials bought now (stationary etc) to spread the cost so I dont have everything to pay for in July.

Please could you comment on what I will need stationary wise as would like to be well prepared and how you all keep notes on everything, do you make copies of most things and file to have to hand or do you keep it all pretty much electronic?

Thanks in advance!!

Vicky x

Hi Vicky,

first of all this is probably the most important thing....please dont put kisses at the end of your posts, if you came face to face with most of us beasts on here we would probably make you cry lol.

Secondly get yourself a few arch lever files, for the notes and handouts you will receive, and thirdly, buy yourself an Osbourne book they are really helpful.

If you are ever stuck......which will happen, the beasts on here are also very helpful with just about any question you can ask.

Except those about good personal hygiene and fashion.

Good luck and welcome to the forums.....Grrr
  • RinskeRinske Font Of All Knowledge Posts: 2,453Registered
    Premier training uses the osbourne books, so I wouldn't buy those just yet...

I wrote all my notes on perforated A4 notebooks, so I can then put them in the file, after I completed the unit, or when I made a mess of stuff!

pens, paper, calculator, a pencil with ruler are very handy to have and almost a must have.

As for the rest, I think it depends on what you prefer. I got a black and a blue pen, just so I can swap around when I make notes. A highlighter helps as well for some people.

A few files as the animal above mentioned do really come in handy, although premier does send you one as well. I found one is not enough and am using 3 different ones to keep things separated now.
  • Viclar10Viclar10 New Member Posts: 7Registered
    Thank you both for your responses, they are very helpful and all I can imagine is that unless I am organised with a course like this then there will be papers everywhere and I am on a certain route to fail.

Rinske - Premier also recommend buying 2 other books from themselves at around £40 each, would you recommend these also?

LeeS2009 - Sorry for the kiss on the end of the post, but thought being new on here I'd better soften you "beasts" up :-)
  • RinskeRinske Font Of All Knowledge Posts: 2,453Registered
    I don't know which books they recommend, I did it without any extra books, but only started with them on level 4.

Do you think you could start without them and afford them later on if you think they might be helpful after all? I find the Osbourne books very good and I don't think you would need the extra books.
  • Lou1234Lou1234 Well-Known Posts: 210Registered
    Hi.

I agree with Rinske about just using the Osbourne books for now. They are very good books and you should be fine with them to start with.

I got myself a big lever arch file for my portfolio (I'm doing the NVQ route) and when I get my simulations back they go in there. I have a regular size folder where I keep all the notes I make. Plus your bits from Premier will arrive in a folder as well.

As for other bits - pen, pencil, ruler and a calculator are needed along with a lot of paper!! I use different coloured pens as it sometimes helps me having notes in different bright colours!!
  • Viclar10Viclar10 New Member Posts: 7Registered
    I will see how I get on then with the books they provide, looking through the posts on here the Osbourne books are very highly spoken of.

Would be silly to spend more than is required really.

Thanks again
  • LeeS2009LeeS2009 Font Of All Knowledge Posts: 1,515Registered
    Viclar10 wrote: »
    I will see how I get on then with the books they provide, looking through the posts on here the Osbourne books are very highly spoken of.

Would be silly to spend more than is required really.

Thanks again

the Osbourne books should get you through the 1st and 2nd years
  • uknittyuknitty Experienced Mentor Posts: 591Registered
    Hi Vicky,

I'm coming to the end of the certificate stage with Premier Training and have recently ordered all my bits for the Advanced stage.

For Unit 30 on the Diploma pathway Premier Training actually use their own text books - if you want the Osborne ones you have to buy them separately. This is probably the 2 books at £40 that you were talking about !

A quick word of warning - the Osborne books are great *BUT* the answers are not provided in the "workbooks" - so if the text is not used by the training provider, and you would like to know the answers to the practice tests you have just done you will have to buy your own copy of the "Tutor Pack" which is another tenner.

As much as I really like the Osbourne books I would say for now save yourself the money, see how you get along with the Premier Training books, and if a little way in to the course you feel you'd like some extra exercises then maybe think about also getting the Osborne ?

As for other equipment, uh I bought 3 notepads for a quid in the pound shop, and a large key calculator (With an automatic % button) some pens, highlighters and a ruler. I spent about £10 in total.
  • MargaMarga Experienced Mentor Posts: 981Registered
    hi Vicky

I do use A4 notebooks like Rinske does and most of my practice questions and exercises are done by hand on them.

I use pencil , eraser, ruler and calculator and a four colour pen

I however after doing them by hand i transfer them onto excel so i can both practice excel skills and re do the exercise to ensure i understand everything. i also have a memory stick with all the assignments questions and text books so it is easy to go anywhere with it (for example when i go to spain to visit my family i just bring the memory stick and i can carry on)

After i have finished a unit i "pre-archive" the resources, books notes exams etc until it is revision time.

I have now archived Unit 30,31 5 and 6 in boxes in the study labelled so i know which one is which