Home For AAT student members AQ 2013 AAT Level 2 (Level 5 in Scotland)
Current updates regarding coronavirus (Covid-19) and the precautions AAT are taking will be continually updated on the below page.

Please check this link for the latest updates:
We hope you are all safe and well and if you need us we will be here. 💚

Which Learning Provider?

BriggsBriggs Just JoinedRegistered Posts: 2
Hi Everyone
I have just joined the forum as Im looking at starting to study the AAT qualification and I was wondering if anyone had any experience of going with either Eagle-education or BPP, or who in your opinion is the best home study training provider?
Also I have gained Distinction in Manual level 2 Bookkeeping and just about to complete my home study Sage Instant accounts course, Is this a good enough foundation to start studying AAT? I dont work in the Industry but am looking at eventually getting an accounts asistant or sales/purchase ledger job to start with whilst I complete my studies.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Comments

• jewels.pjewels.p Font Of All Knowledge Registered Posts: 1,774
    Hi Briggs,

I think you will be fine starting at Foundation Level as this starts at the very beginning. I have worked in industry for a long time now and probably could have started at Intermediate but I chose to start at Foundation and work my way up. I am now at Technician Level and about to do two exams next week.

I am with Premier Training and have been all the way through my studies. I would highly recommend them. If you have a query you phone or email your designated tutor and if they are not available someone else will try to help you. They mark assignments and return them to you promptly with advice as to any mistakes you have made.

By the way welcome to the forums!:001_smile:
  • Lou1234Lou1234 Well-Known Registered Posts: 210
    Hi.

I'm also a student with Premier Training and have had no problems with them (I'm currently studying Technician).

They work late 2 nights a week so you can phone them outside working hours if you need help. All my assignments and simulations are marked and returned in a good time.

Search on this forum for Premier Training and BPP and others so you can read a variety of opinions. I did that and chose Premier Training.
  • noodlesnoodles Trusted Regular Registered Posts: 308
    I am also with premiere training and they are superb, I hear of other centres not getting work back promptly but I never find that, it is always returned within 2 weeks and Kay who manages unit 10 has been excellent.
  • smulxsmulx Settling In Nicely Registered Posts: 23
    I'm with premier training too and they're good. They were cheaper than everyone else too when I checked. Only complaint I have is the ring binder they sent me was really scruffy. Most of the plastic wallets were broke and had came out of the folder and it wasn't organised very well. I just put together my own schedule though so I knew what order I should be doing everything in and it was fine.
  • MWAUGH1983MWAUGH1983 Trusted Regular Registered Posts: 420
    I am with eagle education. Started last august with them at level 3 (intermediate/advanced certificate). Did foundation with kaplan and quite frankly these are a big dissapointment! I would avoid these at all costs if you are self funding student.

Eagle come highly recommended on here and thats how I got onto them; they seem very similar to premier with the tutor they system they have. This is by far an easy way to study as you have a direct contact who is available daily; I have had instances where I have received replies to email on a weekend - little things like this make a different for studying and when you decide where to study for the next level!

Eagle have introduced a study aid called the study buddy which had activities in every chapter and it links in with the recommeded text which are osborne - I find these very easy to digest and them to have activities and eagle have access to the answers to the workbook which is also good as a lot of books don't provide answers to the question which I have always found stupid really.

Whatever you do I would look at the small providers and avoid the bigger ones unless you are getting support from an employer.

Anything else then please contact. I would contact the providers directly as I know sony ashbarry is always available and direct with answers as you can get all information from her if you ask her and she is very friendly and helpful! She design the media presentations on this website and has a decent selection available on the moodle - elearning on their website.

Cheers
    Martin
  • smulxsmulx Settling In Nicely Registered Posts: 23
    I just checked the Eagle site and for level 2, they're £200 more than what I paid with Premier.
  • MWAUGH1983MWAUGH1983 Trusted Regular Registered Posts: 420
    smulx wrote: »
    I just checked the Eagle site and for level 2, they're £200 more than what I paid with Premier.

Yeah apprently they are cheaper but my experiences is that on 2 occasions I tried to do the online revision at 99 quid per unit and on both instances they said that the website was an error as they either werent doing them that exam session or they had problems with the system. Either case they should update the internet or not advertise.

For this reason alone I simply wouldn't use them. But good luck to anyone that studies aat regardless of provider - I certainly wouldnt discourage people for what provider they use.
  • coojeecoojee Experienced Mentor Registered Posts: 794
    smulx wrote: »

But Premier charge extra for the simulations and eagle don't.
  • BriggsBriggs Just Joined Registered Posts: 2
    Thanks

Hi guys thanks for the advice, very much appreciated. Just another quick question, is it possible to do level without a learning provider? Funds are low at the moment and wondered if any has managed to achieve this? I have a Distinction in manual bookkeeping with the ICB and just completing the sage computerised bookkeeping course? I also have the Frank Woods business accounting books for reference? Has anyone else went this way and how do you do it?
    Thanks again guys
  • JaffasGirlJaffasGirl Trusted Regular Registered Posts: 387
    you can certainly do the units assessed by CBE (or CBA) without a learning provider. For example with BPP it costs £110 + postage, to do most units but only around £50 to buy just the books, maybe a bit less.

However, the ones that are project assessed you need to use a provider, as they will mark the project.

This is where i get annoyed with BPP as they have increased the prices for these units as they know you can do it any other way....grrrr. For example, how can Kaplan charge £99 and BPP charge £150 for the exact same thing?

grrr sorry rant over!!