Help - New Student

RosyRosy Just JoinedPosts: 3Registered
Hello.. I am starting AAT course in September and am quite worried it might be too hard - Please let me know what you guys think of it? Also i dont know the first thing about accounting and was wondering if there would be any books you could recommend that i could take a look at before September?

Comments

• PGMPGM Font Of All Knowledge Posts: 1,954Registered
    Its not easy.....

But enjoy summer and forget about the books for now ;)
  • keane155keane155 Trusted Regular Posts: 404Registered
    Hi, you'll be fine :)

You start off with simple stuff for the first couple of lessons, and then start learning about double entry. I found the double entry stuff confusing at first but then you find it all just clicks and makes sense eventually. I have just finished intermediate and am really enjoying it. I wouldn't worry too much about getting books and stuff yet, I'd probably wait until September because most people will probably be in the same position and won't know a lot about accounting.
  • AK002AK002 Font Of All Knowledge Posts: 2,492Registered
    The Foundation course of the AAT is geared (mostly) at people with no previous accounting experience IMO, so you'll be fine. Plus there'll be a whole class full of folk who don't have any accounting knowledge.

Most folk who have done any sort of accounts before will skip foundation and start in Intermediate.
  • RosyRosy Just Joined Posts: 3Registered
    Hmmm... I suppose your right. Thanks guys!
    Yep PGM i think i should stop worrying and enjoy the summer while it lasts :)
  • amos71amos71 New Member Posts: 10Registered
    Don't worry about it being to hard at first. You will not be the only one in the same position.

My only piece of advice would be to make sure you do all the homework and if needs be go over the material covered in the lesson again before the next session.
  • WoooofWoooof Well-Known Posts: 174Registered
    You'll be fine. Just remember to ask your tutor if your not sure of something and it's mainly aimed at people with no experience (like I was when I started) :)
  • JaffasGirlJaffasGirl Trusted Regular Posts: 387Registered
    Dont worry about it being too hard, as long as you put in the time studying you'll be fine.

Debits and Credits are always something thats hard to get your head around at first (especially since its the opposite way around from a bank account! thats what confused me most at first, but now I struggle when having to think of it from my banks point of view! ) but believe me, it will all fall into place!

Wouldnt hurt to have a read through of your books before you start, may help you panic less, and also give you some questions to ask your tutor.

one huge piece of advice for any course - dont be afraid to ask what you think might be a stupid question - even if you dont want to do it in front of the class, ask you tutor afterwards.

There is this quote that i quite like -

'He who asks is a fool for five minutes,
    but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.
    - Chinese proverb

but good luck!! and if nothing else, ask your 'stupid' questions on here - someone will answer you!
  • CPCaccountsCPCaccounts New Member Posts: 5Registered
    Hey! I'm about to start in September too with no previous experience at all.

I'm expecting most people to be in a similar situation. I have done a bit of reading (read through Osbourne Foundation Accounting book and flicked through a few things at the library) but that's to give me a bit of a head-start when I arrive, I don't really think it's necessary. I didn't really find the content too intimidating.

I contacted my college about what I could do to prepare and they've told me what core texts they'll be using (new BPP ones) but they've said that if I wait to buy them until I start they'll be available at discounted prices as BPP visit the college. The person who interviewed me at college reassured me that there really was no need to have any previous knowledge in accounting - at this stage.

I'm looking forward to starting in a couple of weeks! Hope all goes well for you.
  • RozburgRozburg New Member Posts: 9Registered
    I started this course in March, as long distance learning.

When I first started reading the books, I nearly cried with confusion, and wanted to sell the whole package. I perservered and I did pass the exam and now on the second part of 3 units. Which has been tough as well.

All I can say to you is, if its confusing just keep going over it and eventually it sinks in plus I find practice exam papers are great making things sink in.

I did get a book out of the library but it just confused me more and I stuck with the training books the company gave me.

I'm not brainbox, so if i can get this far then you can.

p.s I work in accounts, computerised environment in sales ledger, but I still found I didn't have a lot of knowledge that covers all the different accounting areas.
  • MercedesMercedes Just Joined Posts: 4Registered
    Hi there,

Im new to this site too and have just enrolled onto the Foundation level.. To be honest Im worried about it. I work in sales ledger accounts and have also gained my Sage I & II levels in manual and computerised accounts, whilst im not a brain surgeon, im sure to find some aspects confusing. I didnt want to start on intermediate level, as did find the manual double-entry slightly confusing. Good luck to everyone x
  • A-VicA-Vic Expertise Guaranteed Posts: 6,970Registered
    Mercedes wrote: »
    Hi there,

Im new to this site too and have just enrolled onto the Foundation level.. To be honest Im worried about it. I work in sales ledger accounts and have also gained my Sage I & II levels in manual and computerised accounts, whilst im not a brain surgeon, im sure to find some aspects confusing. I didnt want to start on intermediate level, as did find the manual double-entry slightly confusing. Good luck to everyone x

I really wouldnt worry having computerised and manual accounting is mainly what is covered in the first year you definately have a head start and will be fine :)
  • AK002AK002 Font Of All Knowledge Posts: 2,492Registered
    Mercedes wrote: »
    Hi there,

If you understand debits and credits you'll be ahead of most of the class for the first 3-4 week, you'll find it easier to grasp the further levels of foundation too.
  • A-VicA-Vic Expertise Guaranteed Posts: 6,970Registered
    o and i took level ii in both sage manual and computerised accounting an failed and am now waiting to do my final two exams :lol:
  • RosyRosy Just Joined Posts: 3Registered
    I am finally starting on monday and kind of dreading goin back to college as i have been out of education for a few years! I do work on sage at work but only to raise invoices etc so just the basics! I guess im gonna go for it and study hard! Good luck to those of you who are also starting the course :)
  • jewels.pjewels.p Font Of All Knowledge Posts: 1,774Registered
    I started AAT at Foundation Level in 2008 Distance Learning and am now at the same stage as Vic with only two exams left to pass (oh and my Project which I am waiting on Feedback for).
    I agree with you guys that it is all very daunting in the beginning. Even now when I start a new subject I think I am never going to understand it all but with hard work and perseverence you will get there in the end.
    I am struggling to get into the subjects I am sitting the Exams for in November but friends and family keep pushing me and reminding me that I have worked hard and the end is in sight! Sometimes you will get frustrated but wait until your Certificate at the end of each level drops through your letterbox then you will feel great about what you have achieved!

Good Luck all the newbies! (And all us oldies too) :001_smile:
  • RinskeRinske Font Of All Knowledge Posts: 2,453Registered
    Pushes Jewels back to her studybooks...

Start studying and stop posting!
  • RyanWRyanW Settling In Nicely Posts: 19Registered
    Simply put, the only "challenging" part of the AAT is learning the Duality concept (D/E) and the reporting framework at Technician...