Passed Certificate level for Diploma AAT

ykwong1978ykwong1978 Feels At HomePosts: 48Registered
Hi all,

I have just passed the Certificate level for Diploma, and the course has now changed to QCF.

I was wondering whether if I choose to do level 3 on the QCF course if I have any exemption from level 3. Someone said that I do not need to do the Income Tax module as this was covered in the certificate level.

Is that true? And do I need to tranfer the certificate to the new course???

I will be grateful for any help/advice

Ying

Comments

• steveJsteveJ Experienced Mentor Posts: 694Registered
  • ykwong1978ykwong1978 Feels At Home Posts: 48Registered
    Hi Steve,
    Thanks for this - I just had a look and it says that I am exempt from Level 2 of the course only.
  • steveJsteveJ Experienced Mentor Posts: 694Registered
    your better off starting intermediate under the new ualification otherwise you will have to finish intermediate under the old qualification by July next year. Im halfway through intermediate and have 2 units to finish by next year...

Hope this helps.
  • coojeecoojee Experienced Mentor Posts: 794Registered
    ykwong1978 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have just passed the Certificate level for Diploma, and the course has now changed to QCF.

I was wondering whether if I choose to do level 3 on the QCF course if I have any exemption from level 3. Someone said that I do not need to do the Income Tax module as this was covered in the certificate level.

Is that true? And do I need to tranfer the certificate to the new course???

I will be grateful for any help/advice

Ying

If you've got Unit 31.1 (34) which you will have if you've done Level 2 then you're exempt Indirect Tax under the new standards. The exemption should happen automatically, you shouldn't need to do anything to make it happen. Whether your course provider is up to speed on this is a different matter. They may not have cottoned on to this and may try and make you sit this paper - you don't need to.
  • JaffasGirlJaffasGirl Trusted Regular Posts: 387Registered
    Well according to BPP, you do have to do indirect tax.

Indirect Tax covers -
    Complete VAT returns accurately and in a timely manner.
    Communicate VAT information.
    Understand VAT regulations.

Whereas unit 31.1 only says - Identify VAT inputs and outputs and complete a VAT return.

- probably best to call the AAT and check, or just start with some of the other units and see what happens.
    JaffasGirl wrote: »
    Well according to BPP, you do have to do indirect tax.

Indirect Tax covers -
    Complete VAT returns accurately and in a timely manner.
    Communicate VAT information.
    Understand VAT regulations.

Whereas unit 31.1 only says - Identify VAT inputs and outputs and complete a VAT return.

- probably best to call the AAT and check, or just start with some of the other units and see what happens.

It's not a case of comparing the requirements of the old and new standards to see what you're exempt from, you need to look at the AAT's own transfer information. That says if you have Unit 34 then you're exempt Indirect Tax. If you were to compare the standards for each and every unit then you wouldn't get exemptions for anything!

If BPP are saying you need to do it then they're either wrong or the AAT have made a change within the last few days that they've only told BPP about and no other training providers.
    Hi Steve,
    Thanks for this - I just had a look and it says that I am exempt from Level 2 of the course only.

I just looked at this and selected Level 3 for what you're studying, then it asks you what you've already done so I selected all 3 Unit 31 subjects. It then asks if you want old or new standards. When you select new standards it says you need to do:

- Costs and Revenues
    - Accounts Preparation I and II
    - Cash Management
    Plus
    - Spreadsheets (Project)
    - Professional Ethics for Accountants (no credit is awarded for the old ethics paper)

There's no mention of you having to do Indirect Tax.
  • ykwong1978ykwong1978 Feels At Home Posts: 48Registered
    Thanks for the replies.
    I have emailed AAT, and they have confirmed that because I have completed the Diploma level of the AAT (Unit 30 and 31), then I can start on the New course on Level 3 of the QCF and I am exempt from the Indirect Tax.

So many thanks again for your response!

Ying
    Thanks for the replies.
    I have emailed AAT, and they have confirmed that because I have completed the Diploma level of the AAT (Unit 30 and 31), then I can start on the New course on Level 3 of the QCF and I am exempt from the Indirect Tax.

So many thanks again for your response!

Ying

Just as I said