Aat.....

N3OVRN3OVR New MemberPosts: 7Registered
seriously look into what you want to do as this gives you nothing really. Ive done 2 years and passed 2 years about to start my third year, which im realising why am i doing this?!?!
All you can do is sign off sole trader accounts so for what my role in my company this offers no significant...... well anything.
i was advised to go this route but in all honesty dont....
im doing it as my company is paying but they dont know it gives me nothing to add to what i already can do from learning myself with trial and error.

sorry if this isnt what you were expecting (and im sure it will probably be deleted) but the AAT is not a qualification anyone really needs unless you are starting a small business on your own.

Comments

• BluewednesdayBluewednesday Font Of All Knowledge Posts: 1,624Registered
    what makes you think you can only sign off sole trader accounts?

the directors sign off company accounts not the accountant - you can prepare them as can anyone else - qualified or not.

Why such a downer on the qualification?
  • blobbyhblobbyh Font Of All Knowledge Posts: 2,415Registered
    I think if your company were to read that post with the implied ingratitude you've shown them together with the disregard you've shown for what most people is a very worthwhile qualification, then you might not be with your company for much longer. Your company is taking the first step towards self improvment even if you yourself are unable to.

But you're correct. If you can teach yourself with just trial and error alone, then drop the AAT, you'll be a CFO within no time anyway instead of just being the humble AAT trained accounts assistant or whatever it is that you currently do.

Good luck.

Think you should go back to your thread from 2008 and read your second post...

http://forums.aat.org.uk/showthread.php?t=17147

Are you now doing things properly? If so, then yes it's been worthwhile. If not, then?
  • JanJan Experienced Mentor Posts: 654Registered
    I've just done the same Robert & wonder why such a put down of the course/AAT?

I don't use all I learned doing the course, but since that post in '08 I've changed jobs and wouldn't have been considered if I wasn't AAT qualified. It showed what I am capable of doing and that I understand what I am doing (unlike my predessor).

Hope you don't work in practice - I wouldn't like to think of someones accounts being done by trial and error!
  • A-VicA-Vic Expertise Guaranteed Posts: 6,970Registered
    N3OVR wrote: »
    seriously look into what you want to do as this gives you nothing really. Ive done 2 years and passed 2 years about to start my third year, which im realising why am i doing this?!?!
    All you can do is sign off sole trader accounts so for what my role in my company this offers no significant...... well anything.
    i was advised to go this route but in all honesty dont....
    im doing it as my company is paying but they dont know it gives me nothing to add to what i already can do from learning myself with trial and error.

I cant understand something tho if you do feel as strongly as you do, why continue i know the work instore for you over then next year and feel that if you go into it half hearted and dertemined its not the qualifaction for you it will only make it harder!

Edit: To add can you produce consolidated accounts? Cashflows? Management Forecasts? and Budget control ? do you understand the ethics behind accountancy ? can you produce a 4000 word report on ways to improve current work proceedures? well i know you will be able too after level 4!
  • stevefstevef Well-Known CarmarthenPosts: 258Registered
    Passing the AAT exams is not the end result, passing exams shows that you were able to reach a particular academic standard by the exam date. The importance of exams is that it showa an ability to learn and an aptitude for the subject. It is also part of the requirements you need to reach the end result, the attaining and retention of AAT full membership.

Retaining membership means undertaking CPD to keep upto date and it is this constant ability to update that separates you from non members and makes the whole thing worthwhile. Having those letters after your name says, I have passed the exams, I have experience and I keep my knowledge fresh through CPD. That is why it is worth doing.

CPD should also be seen as a networking opportunity, in this time of few job opportunities it can never do you any harm to be known in the right circles.
  • RinskeRinske Font Of All Knowledge Posts: 2,453Registered
    Am I the only one who just thinks this person is a bit funny? You start a course, paid for by your employer, and are all positive about it and then turn out to talk it down on the forum of the actual course, by saying it's useless, while not even giving a proper motivation or having a clear view of what is included in the course? I wouldn't have started AAT without knowing what I would be learning, and I sure wouldn't have had my employer pay for a course that is useless for work anyways.

I'm not sure if he or she has done anything on level 4 yet, but considering the comments it doesn't look that way. So two years of studying, which is probably foundation and intermediate?

Hopefully he or she does level 4 and finds the useful stuff for work, but if not, then well, best do some more research before starting the next course!
  • andrewtdkandrewtdk Well-Known Posts: 150Registered
    I agree its proably more a case of choosing the wrong course. If you have a very basic job you can probably learn everything you need to know on the job but i doubt if your doing business tax computations etc you could just pick it up with trial and error.

Instead of quiting the course maybe carry on and get qualified then you may be able to get a job that requires more of the skills you pick up using the aat.
  • JanJan Experienced Mentor Posts: 654Registered
    Perhaps op felt they would progress in their company more, because they were studying? I guess this hasn't happened, which is the fault of the employer not AAT. After all they are making the investment, so why not use the skills he/she has learnt?

Not that they have asked for advice, but wouldn't the best course of action be to have a word with their boss and find out what their intentions are, since they have made the investment in him/her.

What have they got to loose? Well apart from their job:-).

Anyway, they appear to have gone now, rant over to return in another 2 years maybe???
  • PGMPGM Font Of All Knowledge Posts: 1,954Registered
    Something has obviously made you think AAT is of no value all of a sudden?

You could say the same for all training, but trial and error is a form of training, a bad form.

Even if you don't value AAT, its good to have it on your CV as many employers do. And its good to have something on your CV, to back up what you say you can do.
  • blobbyhblobbyh Font Of All Knowledge Posts: 2,415Registered
    If you've done two years, presumably you've just completed Intermediate hence the only being able to sign sole trader accounts remark. Technician will build on this and go way beyond what you've currently studied.

Incidentally, if you're now reaching Tech level, why have you posted this thread in the Foundation forum? Was it to try and put other new starters off? If so, that's a real no no.

To all Foundation level students, please don't be put off the qualification by the comments in this thread as they're entirely subjective to the OP and not indicative of the worth of the qualification by the rest of us. I suggest you read some of the discussion threads in the wider Student discussion section to see how this qualification is truly valued.
  • RowanBRowanB Well-Known Posts: 158Registered
    Fair play to N3OVR for being honest about his/her experience of the AAT qualification. He/she probably predicted his/her post would receive a negative response, but posted anyway. It's always interesting to hear people's genuine opinions on the AAT.

Personally, I think it's a really useful course and I've gained a lot from it, but I have questioned the extent of its worth on here before and received a lot of stick.