CPD for employees

MonsoonMonsoon Font Of All KnowledgeFMAAT, AAT Licensed Accountant Posts: 4,069
I'm an employer and I have a bookkeeper and an accountant working for me.

What are they supposed to do about CPD? Am I supposed to provide it? Are they supposed to do it off their own back? Having never worked in practice other than my own, I don't really know what other people do... If anyone could share their experiences that would be great!

• BluewednesdayBluewednesday Font Of All Knowledge Registered Posts: 1,624
    I am employed and follow ACCA's route which is based on hours.

My boss pays for any courses that benefit the business such as the finance act updates, accounting standard updates and VAT news.

That coupled with a couple of AAT and ACCA branch events takes care of my verified hours and the unverified hours comes from research and forums/magazines etc.

So in short he pays for some and I do the majority off my own back.
  • katz568katz568 Feels At Home Registered Posts: 93
    I've just started working in practice (well since november) and my employer pays for us to attend update courses on anything relevant to what we do (so audit, tax, accounting standards, vat, payroll etc). We are also given time to read any publications considered relevant to our practice within work time.
    Anything that we discover and speak to him about he is ok about us doing as long as it will benefit our employment.
  • DAVID LAWESDAVID LAWES Feels At Home Registered Posts: 29
    Cpd for employees

I'm not a member in practice ; in fact I work for a public sector organisation and am currently in a non-accounting role. The vast majority of my CPD is online research, e.g listening to podcasts, looking at things on the AAT CPD zone, reading online articles in other accountancy websites, such as STUDENT ACCOUNTANT, ACCOUNTANCY STUDENTS (Steve Collings writes some truly excellent articles for the latter). I have also done, in my own time, business reviews of companies operating in the private healthcare business, where my wife is employed. These reviews draw upon my knowledge gained whilst studying for the AAT qualification and required me to do some private research to update that knowledge. I'd like to be able to post a PDF of some of my work here, but I've tried it before and it's not possible because all my reviews are too big. All this work may not be direcrly relevant to what I do in my current job (IT/information management), but it will be very relevant to my aspiration to become an auditor/business analyst in the private healthcare sector. So I'd have thought it was the very quintessence of CPD ; acquiring additional knowledge that will equip me better for future accounting-related roles. Anyone got any thoughts on this?
  • Gem7321Gem7321 Experienced Mentor DevonMAAT, AAT Licensed Accountant Posts: 1,433
    I believe that, unless you're an AAT accredited employer, they have to do it off their own back.