WEAF - Few questions

Mosh13Mosh13 New MemberPosts: 8Registered
Hey. Please could someone provide me with answers to these assesment questions;

1. Two examples of the type of work an accounts department would do on a daily basis
2. Information required by the accounts department, how would they use this information
3. Explain how this information could help an organisation run efficiently and maintain its solvency.

Thanks.

Comments

• jewels.pjewels.p Font Of All Knowledge Posts: 1,774Registered
    Mosh13 wrote: »
    Hey. Please could someone provide me with answers to these assesment questions;

1. Two examples of the type of work an accounts department would do on a daily basis
    2. Information required by the accounts department, how would they use this information
    3. Explain how this information could help an organisation run efficiently and maintain its solvency.

Thanks.

1. Invoicing, Payments
    2. What customers have paid. This info would be used for Credit Control purposes
    3. If no money comes in then the company would not stay solvent very long

Is it something like that you are looking for? You will probably have to expand more though
  • Sulew17Sulew17 Well-Known Posts: 174Registered
    Weaf
    jewels.p wrote: »
    1. Invoicing, Payments
    2. What customers have paid. This info would be used for Credit Control purposes
    3. If no money comes in then the company would not stay solvent very long

Is it something like that you are looking for? You will probably have to expand more though

Don't expand too much! Just answer the questions clearly and concisely - they don't like a lot of waffle!
  • coojeecoojee Experienced Mentor Posts: 794Registered
    Sulew17 wrote: »
    Don't expand too much! Just answer the questions clearly and concisely - they don't like a lot of waffle!

If the answers were just one word answers then the candidate would lose marks as most of the answers need to be presented as memo's, reports, letters and things like that where marks are given for literacy and use of business English. I agree that it's best not to waffle but the answers do need to be expanded to fully explain the answer
    coojee wrote: »
    If the answers were just one word answers then the candidate would lose marks as most of the answers need to be presented as memo's, reports, letters and things like that where marks are given for literacy and use of business English. I agree that it's best not to waffle but the answers do need to be expanded to fully explain the answer

It all depends on the question. When answering something like the first question shown (1. Two examples of the type of work an accounts department would do on a daily basis) we were told to answer it like this:

Two examples of the type of work an accounts department would do on a daily basis are raising invoices and making payments.

On some questions you are only given enough space for one or two answers though! If you are required to write a report / email / letter you are told this within the question. Other questions just need a brief answer / explanation. When we did WEAF I was worried because other people had written a lot more than I had but our tutor told me that I had given them exactly what they had asked for and that my answers were correct. Others lost marks because they had written too much and, therefore, weren't clear and concise in their answers!
    On some questions you are only given enough space for one or two answers though!

Sorry, this should have read you are only given space for one or two word answers
  • Mosh13Mosh13 New Member Posts: 8Registered
    Thanks for all the responses! I did my WEAF exam with Kaplan. Does anyone know how long I will need to wait to get the results for this exam?
    We did ours in May and got the results after about 6 weeks - although it took another two weeks to show on the AAT website. Some people I spoke to said it took about 4 weeks for them to get their results. I think it depends on how busy the tutors are and then it goes to be verified before being sent to AAT. Hope you pass

Su
    It all depends on the question. When answering something like the first question shown (1. Two examples of the type of work an accounts department would do on a daily basis) we were told to answer it like this:

Two examples of the type of work an accounts department would do on a daily basis are raising invoices and making payments.

This is eactly what I mean by use of English, if you'd just said raise invoices and make payments you may get a mark deducted for not writing a complete sentence.
  • sdvsdv Experienced Mentor Posts: 585Registered
    AAT does not require students to have their work showing correct spelling or grammer. This is a competency based qualifications and as long as you can show the correct activities in that accounting department you should be Ok to pass your project. Even if the answers are shown in bullet points.

However, as an accountant you should be able to communicate your ideas, answers, reasoning etc in a professional way that can be understood.

Unfortunately, majority of the managers in the Indusrty today come from an era when there were no mobiles, (txt spk) or internet or the use of computers that is very common today.

They are the one you need to communicate with and they have a very conservative attitude towards who people express themselves in letters, memos, e-mails etc. If you can not communicate in a way suggested you are unlikely to last long in a job.
    coojee wrote: »
    This is eactly what I mean by use of English, if you'd just said raise invoices and make payments you may get a mark deducted for not writing a complete sentence.

Pleased that you agree with me! Sorry if I misunderstood your first reply.

Best wishes

Su
  • janwaljanwal Experienced Mentor Posts: 1,189Registered
    Hi
    Several of the students at our college failed the WEAF exam only because of their lack of grammer and spelling and being able to communicate probably.
    sdv wrote: »
    AAT does not require students to have their work showing correct spelling or grammer. This is a competency based qualifications and as long as you can show the correct activities in that accounting department you should be Ok to pass your project. Even if the answers are shown in bullet points.

However, as an accountant you should be able to communicate your ideas, answers, reasoning etc in a professional way that can be understood.

Unfortunately, majority of the managers in the Indusrty today come from an era when there were no mobiles, (txt spk) or internet or the use of computers that is very common today.

They are the one you need to communicate with and they have a very conservative attitude towards who people express themselves in letters, memos, e-mails etc. If you can not communicate in a way suggested you are unlikely to last long in a job.

There are marks available for spelling and grammar, admittedly not many but if there are spelling mistakes and poor grammar you would lose several marks per question. If you had other mistakes as well it could mean the difference between a pass and a fail.