Home For AAT student members AQ 2013 AAT Level 2 (Level 5 in Scotland)
Current updates regarding coronavirus (Covid-19) and the precautions AAT are taking will be continually updated on the below page.

Please check this link for the latest updates:
We hope you are all safe and well and if you need us we will be here. 💚

Newbie :0)

babiekelbabiekel Feels At HomeRegistered Posts: 26
Hi all,

I'm a newbie studying my L2 with Premier Training - Distance learning.
So far i am finding it ok, although i have got stuck a few times but my colleagues have explained things more to me, which has been a great help. Sometimes i feel that when reading the chapters in the study manual that the info is going in 1 ear and straight out of the other, do you?

I have just completed my first little assignment and got 100% right so very pleased with that.

Anyone else out there just started? How you getting on?

xx

Comments

• JasonTurboJasonTurbo Feels At Home Registered Posts: 27
    Hello and welcome to AAT,

I'm also studying Level 2 although I'm doing an evening a week at college. What unit have you started on?

We're 4 weeks in to basic costing and I've already done all the practice assignments (not meaning to sound like I'm bragging or anything!) In any case if you feel you need any help I'm sure you've come to the right place, lots of helpful people on here and you can always ask me if you need any help with basic costing anyway.

P.S. Are you using the BPP books?
  • babiekelbabiekel Feels At Home Registered Posts: 26
    Hey,

Oh have you, oops! i need to get a move on lol. I have only done my first assignment so far but nearly ready to do my second one after i finish reading the chapter in my books. I'm using the premier training books they supply..

How have you found it? i think maybe i should of gone to college as the teachers would be able to explain things better than you can reading them but my colleagues at work have been great so far.

I have just done assignment ba1.1 - so i assume thats the unit at the mo, sorry its all a little confusing still..

Thanks for the reponse.. :)
    BA1.1 would sound like your doing the basic accounting 1 unit, which is the one I'm doing next which from the looks of it is a couple of steps up from the basic costing. If you can get your head round basic accounting then you should find basic costing extremely easy trust me.

I suppose it depends what kind of learner you are on whether you need a college or not. For me I can do both (college or self learning) but the problem with college is that our lecturer obviously has to go at a slow pace to allow everyone to understand, that's why I've decided to move on to the next unit already.
  • debs1983debs1983 Just Joined Registered Posts: 1
    Hi,

I am also studying with Premier Training and so far, so good. They mark the assignments very quickly and are available until 8pm three nights a week if you need help.

With the Basic Account 1 and 2 modules, you will study them both together and they advise that you take the two exams as close together as possible. The assignments will change between BA1 and BA2 and then you will finish BA1 first, do the mock exam and the real exam and then move onto the BA2 Mock exam and real exam.

Then it's Basic Costing, then Working Effectively (which I'm on now) and then Computerised Accounting.

If you need any help at all call your Tutor or Course Advisor - they are there to help and have always helped me when needed. Even for things like finding exam centres, they have always been very efficient.

Good luck with your studies - I hope you enjoy it as much as I have done so far!
  • Pearce161Pearce161 Feels At Home Registered Posts: 57
    Hi just joined the forum. I started level 2 at calderdale college a few weeks ago. 2 evenings per week. Jus doing introduction to book keeping and accounting at the mo as they havent had our textbooks come through yet! Then we're starting Basic Accounting 1. A quick question to anyone else who's studying at college, how many pupils in your class? There 32(!!) in mine so far, although the tutor said he expects quite a few drop will out over the next couple of weeks. Still seems a shockingly high figure it makes things seem very slow when trying to get through stuff in class so looking forward to getting the books to crack on on my own. I'm not currently working in an accounts setting which having read some threads on here is a bit worrying but now i'm on the course my cv will be flying out all over the place with fingers crossed!
    In my class at college there is 15 people and I would agree with you that 32 in a class seems like alot. Even though there are only 15 of us I still feel held back a bit so I've decided to teach myself using the books and use the college time to ask my tutor any questions that come up, I'm already 1 unit ahead of where are class is meant to be at. Good luck with your college classes, hopefully you'll progress quite a bit when you have your books.
    yeah thats pretty much what i plan on doing. I cant believe they have let so many on. When i was doing IAB manual book keeping in the summer it, was supposed to be the same tutor, he told me class size of around 16. But he's left an another tutor is taking it so dunno if it was maybe meant to be 2 classes or what. Its not too much a problem for me as i tend to pick things up pretty easily an quickly but the others who are having trouble there's no way he can get round everyone.
  • janwaljanwal Experienced Mentor Registered Posts: 1,189
    We have 14 in our group this year on level 3, but on level 2 28 signed up so they split the class into 2 groups, by the end of the year at least 6 had left or transferred onto nights. I would challenge them on 32 our college has a set limit of 16 per group.
    i'm gonna have a chat with some of the other students it hasnt had a significant drop in next few weeks. its bigger than a bloody high school class!
  • GemmaSGemmaS Well-Known Registered Posts: 178
    Hi everyone I'm a newbie as well! I'm started doing Level 2 long distance with Premier training about a month ago. Am hoping to have my level 2 done by Feb/March... Not sure if this is acheivable but we'll see!
    Hey Gemma,

How are you finding it? i am struggling a little bit at gettin my head around chapter 5.. I have just done my assignment for it so we shall see mark i get! I have had things explained more to me at work and haven't contacted my tutor yet except for sending him my assignments.. have you? i feel a bit shy to call them up and say i;m a little stuck/confused.. hey hoo.. i know i should.

Let me know how your getting on xxx
    Hi I've Just done the assignment for Chapter 5 and I'm just waiting for the results as well. It did take a bit of getting my head round! once i figured out which accounts to use for cash or credit customers it sort of fell into place.... Now I've said that I will probably fail it! I tried to speak to my tutor last week about the Sage unit but he is on holiday at the moment... (which is probably why its taken so long for him to mark my assigment this time round!) Which Tutor have you got? I'm feeling pretty confident about the next chapter but cant do the assignment till i get my results :( I know what you mean about feeling a bit shy though. So do u work in accounting atm?
    Hey Gemma,

I hope you dont mind but i have added you as a friend on here.
    I got my assignment back yesterday for chapter 5 and i got 100% right, so i am very pleased with that. My tutor is Mike Kirkham, who is yours? f your tutor is away i think someone else will mark it? depending on how long his away for i suppose though. I haven't started the sage unit yet, i think i will wait for a bit until i get through the first exams. I read Chapter 6 last night and it's a very straight forward chapter so fingers crossed for both of us.
    I work as a receptionist but go round to the finance dept 2-5.30 every day and they have said they will help me through my studies if i get stuck. How about you? are you able to get any help from anywhere?

Good luck with your assignment, i'm sure you will pass it :) Hope you get your results back shortly.
    x
    Thats fine for the friend add :-) my tutor is Dave Hartley, he was away for a week, but i spoke to him yesterday and he marked my assignment straight away: I got 100% as well! I submitted the next assignment last night as well, so fingers crossed for that one. I don't work in accounting at all, I work for a motor factors so don't really have anyone to ask, but I have had some experience of bookkeeping in the past, so feel fairly confident with this level so far.... I think! Not looking forward to the WEAF unit though, from the sounds of it its a bit of a nightmare. So what made you decide to start doing this course?

Gemma
    Thats great that he marked it straight away, well done on the 100% too.. woop! I have just submitted my next assignment too, i thought those chapters were fairly straight forward. fingers crossed for the both of us, i'm sure you have already receoved your marks by the time you read this.

At least you have some experience then, hopefully it'll help you get through L2, if your unsure about anything, feel free to ask me and if i'm unsure i can always speak with our finance people at work to get an answer for you :o)

Yeah me neither, sounds like it may be a bit of a struggle.. ek.

I was asked to help in finance in the afternoons and i quite enjoyed being round there putting invoices on the system etc and thought i wouldn't mind going down the route of accountancy as i dont want to be on reception forever - it gets soo boring. The other 2 girls have recently finished their L3's i think so i knew it was do-able whilst working. Every appraisel i get they always say i am capable of much more than reception and that i am wasted out there so i thought why not!!! I have mentioned to the finance mgr that i hope to 1 day be round in finance dept full time and off reception but we shall see about that. How about you? Are your work supporting you or are you doing it all on your own?

take care, kelly x