Home For AAT student members AQ 2013 AAT Level 2 (Level 5 in Scotland)
Current updates regarding coronavirus (Covid-19) and the precautions AAT are taking will be continually updated on the below page.

Please check this link for the latest updates:
We hope you are all safe and well and if you need us we will be here. 💚

Weaf....

JaffasGirlJaffasGirl Trusted RegularRegistered Posts: 387
This unit is really making my head hurt. I know its mostly common sense, but when I look at a question I just go ' don't know' and my mind goes blank.

any tips? exam is in four days, and I'm freaking out! lol

Comments

• janwaljanwal Experienced Mentor Registered Posts: 1,189
    Hi

You will find a lot of us struggled with WEAF, there are a lot of other threads on here with advice on - search under level 2 - my main advice is now how to write a report, keep your answers to a mimimum but no too short and watch your grammer. It is very similar to the practice CBA - or was last year.

Good luck let us know how you went

Jan
  • JaffasGirlJaffasGirl Trusted Regular Registered Posts: 387
    The thing im most frustrated with is the lack of help from my learning provider. If you complete WBE then there is a video all about it. For the exam, nothing but the textbook, which while helpful is over complicated at points. And also has out of date information in it.

Yes thank you, I did see the other threads, I suppose its nice to feel I'm not alone! Lol I found the other two exams so simple in comparison, probably because there were less variables. You were right or wrong, now too many options lol

I guess I'm was just hoping for someone to say something that gives me a lightbulb moment! Just need to take a deep breath and realise that if I fail, it's not the end of the world. And I'll be better prepared next time!
    I felt exactly the same last year, there is no right or wrong answer and a lot depends on who marks it as well. That's why I say learn things like report layout a lot of ours failed on that one thing they answered the questions but did not lay it out properly and 1 person even wrote it in text language instead of real english.

Are you doing it as 1 full exam as we did it as 2 x 2hrs a week apart, and had to pass both parts to be competent, but only had to retake the one you failed on.

Jan
    I'm taking both part in one day, one after the other. Not sure about only having to retake one part though, I hope that's right for me too! Lol

just want it to be over with now! So I can move on to the next exam! Costing, the one I like! Lol
    I liked costing too, lucky for us it was the first one we did so filled me with a lot of confidence, and keep all your notes as you will need them in level 3 as costing is covered in 2 of the subjects.

Jan
  • KirstySladden1KirstySladden1 Just Joined Registered Posts: 4
    Hi I did WEAF exam both parts on Monday, this was the one I was dreading the most but it went a lot better than I thought it would which probably means Ive failed it though lol !!

i read through the practice assessment the night before and that really helped, the sceneario was very similar. Also I have just looked at the advice on here and that is really useful too wish I had seen it before my exam.

Lots of luck!

Kirsty
    I took my exam today, and the scenario was completely different. As in there was no job description or person specification. There was one page of information and an organisation chart. So I was completely lost on the objectives questions :( urgh! So annoying as if they provided the same sort of information as the practise test I would have been ok! But what do I know about what this person should work on, when they haven't told me what kinds of qualities they should have! I really hope I've passed at least the first part so I dont have to take it all agin. Oh well, I'll know in two weeks! Lol
  • coojeecoojee Experienced Mentor Registered Posts: 794
    JaffasGirl wrote: »
    I took my exam today, and the scenario was completely different. As in there was no job description or person specification. There was one page of information and an organisation chart. So I was completely lost on the objectives questions :( urgh! So annoying as if they provided the same sort of information as the practise test I would have been ok! But what do I know about what this person should work on, when they haven't told me what kinds of qualities they should have! I really hope I've passed at least the first part so I dont have to take it all agin. Oh well, I'll know in two weeks! Lol

By objectives questions do you mean the personal development plan and the strengths and weaknesses part of the assessment? If so that should be based on you personally and not the person that you are in the assessment IYSWIM. So you don't need to know anything about them and their job description.
    Where does it say that? It doesn't say that at all iin the assessment. In fact, it says 'you are So so and your boss wants you to complete this pdp' so where does that have to be based on me? If they want me to base it on me, it should say that. Especially when the practise exam they provide, the answers are quite obviously based on person specification and job description provided. God this unit is so annoying! Lol
    Where does it say that? It doesn't say that at all iin the assessment. In fact, it says 'you are So so and your boss wants you to complete this pdp' so where does that have to be based on me? If they want me to base it on me, it should say that. Especially when the practise exam they provide, the answers are quite obviously based on person specification and job description provided. God this unit is so annoying! Lol

AFAIK there's 2 live scenario's, in one of them you are given more information about the person that you are (job description, person specification etc) and you answer the pdp question accordingly. In the other scenario you aren't given any information and when you get to the pdp tasks it tells you to base it on yourself. Maybe there's a 3rd one now that I'm not aware of.
    There must be. There was nothing to say 'base this on yourself'. And when each of the questions tells you that 'your boss (and gives the name of the boss in the project) wants you to complete and even one of the examples in the PDP, in the part where it says 'reviewed by and when' say 'by the end of August, (and then the bosses name) this is not going to make me think, oh this is based on me.

I do think they should be more consistent with what information they provide. Its a big part of the second half, and if basically what happens is, one side gets lots of information to help, the other side get nothing, its unfair.

even if they had put a line in saying something like 'this pdp should be based on YOUR skills, strengths and weaknesses' that would have been enough.

I thought the whole point of this unit was to put you in the situation where you work in accounts. I dont, and i dont know the types of things that an accounts assistant would do on a day to day basis, so might want to improve on. or what parts of my 'job' i should improve on. I work in sales, so the objectives i give would be completely irrelevant to any accounts case study. or so I thought.

I just feel like the whole exam was a complete bust :( will go back to costing for a while now, might have to wait until in an accountancy position and provide work experience.
    There must be. There was nothing to say 'base this on yourself'. And when each of the questions tells you that 'your boss (and gives the name of the boss in the project) wants you to complete and even one of the examples in the PDP, in the part where it says 'reviewed by and when' say 'by the end of August, (and then the bosses name) this is not going to make me think, oh this is based on me.

I do think they should be more consistent with what information they provide. Its a big part of the second half, and if basically what happens is, one side gets lots of information to help, the other side get nothing, its unfair.

even if they had put a line in saying something like 'this pdp should be based on YOUR skills, strengths and weaknesses' that would have been enough.

I thought the whole point of this unit was to put you in the situation where you work in accounts. I dont, and i dont know the types of things that an accounts assistant would do on a day to day basis, so might want to improve on. or what parts of my 'job' i should improve on. I work in sales, so the objectives i give would be completely irrelevant to any accounts case study. or so I thought.

I just feel like the whole exam was a complete bust :( will go back to costing for a while now, might have to wait until in an accountancy position and provide work experience.

PM'd you about this
  • robbiesbirdrobbiesbird Just Joined Registered Posts: 1
    I agree with JaffasGirl, I took this exam Monday and Tuesday and must have had the same scenario. I was completely different to the practice papers on AAT site and the one which my learning provider gave me to do. The employment set up was all different and like you said, no job description or person spec to go on. Less working with figures, 2 letters/emails/reports to do in first exam. Like JaffasGirl I do not work in accounting, I am a nurse, which is probably why we are doing the exam in the first place.We therefore don't know all the courses etc that they would want to do.
    Will keep everything crossed for you, think they were trying to trick us..
    Just thought i would let you guys know that I passed!! i can't quite believe it! lol i had to read the email about twenty times before it sunk in! lol its still got to be verified by the AAT, but fingers crossed it shouldn't change! lol WHOOP!! so pleased :D really thought that was a fail!
  • Netherwood26Netherwood26 Feels At Home Registered Posts: 78
    excellent well done :-) - i'm doing the paper on 29th sept ( both parts on the same day ) so finger crossed. you got your paper back really quickly ( reading through some of the other threads some people have had to wait months ) :-(
    PS JaffasGirl what sort of things did you put for your strengths weaknesses and PDP?
    Congratulations, the rest are easy pessy after that :lol:
    Haha, hopefully!

And to be honest I can't really remember, I think I put something about procrastinating too much lol but fro
    The looks of things it doesn't really matter what the weakness is, as long as you can a way to improve it in your PDP.
    was there a question on CPD again?
    I think that is something that is always covered. Im not really sure how much i can say on here as mine is a live simulation, coojee might be best placed to let me know if ive said too much!! lol