'Thanks'/'Like this post' functionality - help!

StuartW
StuartW Registered Posts: 472 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
This has been on the request list for quite a while from various regular users. I was just wondering if anyone would recommend a particular vBulletin mod when it comes to thanking people for their posts, or giving you the ability to "like" posts - either way, the end results would be to flag good content and enhance the reputation of regular, helpful posters.

If you don't know the name of the mod in question, perhaps point me towards an example on another forum where you've seen it used.

I appreciate this is well overdue, so we'd like to add something of this nature. Apologies if this has been discussed previously, but the quality/reliability of vBulletin mods can vary over time!

Thanks for your help.

Stuart

Comments

• MarkT
    MarkT Registered Posts: 302
    I thought that this is what the star button did here.... I've seen this similar system used on an mg-rover forum where people could approve or disapprove of a posters comment and they had a certain amount of stars etc after their name...

Only issue with that I understood is that say someone with a limited amount of reputation disagreed with a long time poster and pulled them up on an unhelpful comment or worse, they could actually wipe all of the lesser posters reputation clean as their 'opinion' counted for more...
  • StuartW
    The star does add to a user's reputation, but as I understand it it doesn't allow you to flag particular, individual contributions, and the result of starring someone is a bit vague. I may be wrong but I think that if we add the ability for people to "like" or "thank" individual posts, it might mean (depending on the mod used) the threads that contain them take priority in search results.

I think it would be nice, if we're going to look at making more of the concept of "earning" reputation, that people know what others appreciate in their contributions.

I'd obviously be keen to ensure it couldn't be manipulated in a negative way by, for instance, people who have a heated exchange - so we'd keep a close eye on it this end after implementation.
  • MarkT
    StuartW wrote: Β»
    The star does add to a user's reputation, but as I understand it it doesn't allow you to flag particular, individual contributions, and the result of starring someone is a bit vague. I may be wrong but I think that if we add the ability for people to "like" or "thank" individual posts, it might mean (depending on the mod used) the threads that contain them take priority in search results.

I think it would be nice, if we're going to look at making more of the concept of "earning" reputation, that people know what others appreciate in their contributions.

I'd obviously be keen to ensure it couldn't be manipulated in a negative way by, for instance, people who have a heated exchange - so we'd keep a close eye on it this end after implementation.

I completely agree with this - it would be nice - the only other place I have seen the user ranking was again, on a car forum and that was Renault... WHEN I gain MAAT and get a job to go with it, I'll tell you what the Audi or BMW forums look like :lol:
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    The thanks button on www.ukbusinessforums.co.uk works perfectly and would work brilliantly here. I don't know what the mod is, but I'm sure you could ask over there and find out.

Yes please and thank you!! :):):):):lol:
  • *Jo
    *Jo Registered Posts: 509 Epic contributor 🐘
    I first saw the thanks/like this post button on www.moneysavingexpert.com in the forums there. no idea what technical gobeldygook you are asking for but it worked by clicking on it which gave a count of how many thanks the post had had and you also saw who had thanked you when you had posted something.

I.e. someone like Monsoon, Dean, Steve, Sandy Blobby etc etc (apologies if ive left others out) would see who found there posts helpful and had said thankyou, and it would reduce the need to clog up space by writing another post just to thank people for their kind help.
  • StuartW
    Thanks those who have responded - we're looking into this in a bit more detail now and hope to have something in place soonish!

:001_smile:
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    StuartW wrote: Β»
    Thanks those who have responded - we're looking into this in a bit more detail now and hope to have something in place soonish!

:001_smile:
    yay! Thanks :D
  • MarkT
    Could one of these posted in a thread just be a cheaper alternative of showing approval??

Buddy+christ.jpg
  • StuartW
  • StuartW
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Cool... perhaps you could also install a "Useless" button while you're at it? After all my years of Forum service and dis-service, I reckon I'd be about half and half by now... ;)
  • anniem
    anniem Registered Posts: 1,326 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    blobbyh wrote: Β»
    Cool... perhaps you could also install a "Useless" button while you're at it? After all my years of Forum service and dis-service, I reckon I'd be about half and half by now... ;)

I've just realised we also need a *LIKE* button; although Blobby's post is funny and I *LIKE* it, I certainly wouldn't feel obliged to *THANK* him for it!!!!!! Perhaps we need a *FUNNY* button too???

Love you Blob XXX

Anna
    FMAAT - AAT Licensed Member in Practice - Pewsey, Wiltshire
Privacy Policy