Home For AAT student members AQ 2013 AAT Level 2 (Level 5 in Scotland)
Current updates regarding coronavirus (Covid-19) and the precautions AAT are taking will be continually updated on the below page.

Please check this link for the latest updates:
We hope you are all safe and well and if you need us we will be here. 💚

Any recommendations on books?

babiekelbabiekel Feels At HomeRegistered Posts: 26
Hey,

I'm struggling with my level 2 (home study) and wonder if anyone can recommend any good level 1 books to get my head around the basics please? or even a level 2 book which is more clearer at explaining the basics than my Premier training study book is. Its ba 1 & 2..

I'm getting a little miffed with it all although i am at the mock exam stage but i just don't feel confident enough in the subjects covered and still get confused. Does any premier training students regulary call their tutor for help? i've not called mine, just emailed.. but i think i will need to call him for some support.

Many Thanks,
Kelly

Comments

• Jason1984Jason1984 New Member Registered Posts: 6
    Personally I find BPP books very clear indeed. Everything is in simple sentences, very well laid out and easy to understand. Osbourne books are excellent as well. I wouldn't recommend Kaplan books really.

Also, I'm not sure there are any Level 1 books....
  • Joe BarracloughJoe Barraclough Feels At Home Registered Posts: 69
    i find osborne books are pretty good for easy explanations and good examples
  • Jo ClarkJo Clark Font Of All Knowledge Registered Posts: 2,525
    Jason1984 wrote: »
    Personally I find BPP books very clear indeed.
    I agree.
    Also, I'm not sure there are any Level 1 books....
    There is... AAT Access Student Book - Level 1 http://shop.aat.org.uk/index.php/aat-access-student-book-level-1.html
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • Jason1984Jason1984 New Member Registered Posts: 6
    Jo Clark wrote: »
    There is... AAT Access Student Book - Level 1 http://shop.aat.org.uk/index.php/aat-access-student-book-level-1.html
    Ah, apologies.

The sad thing is I can't actually answer all the questions you can see on that page in the Level 1 book! I'm in trouble :laugh:
  • Bookworm55Bookworm55 Trusted Regular Registered Posts: 479
    I found Frank Wood's Business Accounting (volumes 1 & 2) to be invaluable at the start of my AAT studies, and continually referred to it right up to the end of Technician. He also did a more entry-level one called Book-keeping and Accounts, but you might find you outgrow that one very quickly: see if your library has a copy.

They are very large books, but they cover a lot of material very well and I got a lot more out of them than the Osborne Books texts that my college recommended and taught from. I did not do well with David Cox' Foundation Accounting.
  • janwaljanwal Experienced Mentor Registered Posts: 1,189
    babiekel wrote: »
    Hey,

I'm struggling with my level 2 (home study) and wonder if anyone can recommend any good level 1 books to get my head around the basics please? or even a level 2 book which is more clearer at explaining the basics than my Premier training study book is. Its ba 1 & 2..

I'm getting a little miffed with it all although i am at the mock exam stage but i just don't feel confident enough in the subjects covered and still get confused. Does any premier training students regulary call their tutor for help? i've not called mine, just emailed.. but i think i will need to call him for some support.

Many Thanks,
    Kelly

Hi Kelly

It can all seem very duanting at the beginning I hadn't studied for nearly 20 yrs, although I work in finance and thought I knew quite a bit I struggled at level 2. Now 3/4 of the way through level 3, so leep going.

I agree with some of the others BPP books are good, clear and easy to get your head round, they do text and work books. Also I found You tube very useful, just put in what your doing like you would google and it gives you videos to follow step by step.

Anything your stuck with post on here we are a friendly, helpful lot and someone will be able to help.

Good luck and keep us posted how your doing

Jan
  • SarahJSSarahJS Trusted Regular Registered Posts: 273
    I also did ba1 and 2 with the premier books, but as soon as I used osborne books I realised how much easier they were to follow and they were better with explanations (and more relevant questions).

I really like the style of the osborne books, and people also seem to like bpp (but maybe not Kaplan so much!)

Good luck, BA is by far the hardest exam at level 2 :)
  • babiekelbabiekel Feels At Home Registered Posts: 26
    Thanks All. I am just at the mock exam stage of ba 1 & 2 but when i sit there and try to do it i realise how little i understand the whole credit and debits etc... i put it one side then i scribble it out put it the other and so on.. i question myself far too much which makes me realise i obv need more help with it all before coonsidering booking the exams!!

I will take a look online for the osbourne books as they sound like they will help me alot.

SarahJS - did you go on to study with a different company to use osbourne books? or did you carry on with premier and just buy the osbournes? I'm thinking 2 nights a week at college 100% for my next level??

Thanks everyone, i will look into all the books mentioned. xxx
  • babiekelbabiekel Feels At Home Registered Posts: 26
    Great - i have just ordered osbourne books accounting 1 & 2 and work books. can't wait to receieve them :)
    x