Home For AAT student members AQ 2013 AAT Level 2 (Level 5 in Scotland)
Current updates regarding coronavirus (Covid-19) and the precautions AAT are taking will be continually updated on the below page.

Please check this link for the latest updates:
We hope you are all safe and well and if you need us we will be here. 💚

Life begins at 40!

Newlife40Newlife40 Just JoinedRegistered Posts: 3
Hi all,

I am 40 yrs old, and thinking to go back to study table to start a new career as an accountant! I was working in various role in customer service industry for many years. I am literally thinking life begins at 40!
Can anyone tell me please..
1) Am I too old to start this or has anyone ever tried this before at 40+?
2) What is the job prospect after completing after few years at this age?
3) What Qualification I need to have to work on my own?

I know I am asking too much but I would really appreciate any help as I am standing at a cross road!

Cheers

Comments

• Jo ClarkJo Clark Font Of All Knowledge Registered Posts: 2,525
    Newlife40 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am 40 yrs old, and thinking to go back to study table to start a new career as an accountant! I was working in various role in customer service industry for many years. I am literally thinking life begins at 40!
    Can anyone tell me please..
    2) What is the job prospect after completing after few years at this age?
    3) What Qualification I need to have to work on my own?

I know I am asking too much but I would really appreciate any help as I am standing at a cross road!

Cheers

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

I personally think you are never too old to learn!

In answer to your questions, I don't think you are too old to start this qualification. I made friends with a lady at college who is in her late 40s and studying AAT, I also have another friend who trained to be a teacher in her 40s, so no, not too old.

The job prospects could be tough going depending on what you are looking to do i.e. only AAT or continue with further studies afterwards. The job market is tough and sometimes even if you have the qualification, if you have no experience that can go against you. However, you can try and volunteer your services to gain some experience.

Once you have completed the AAT Level 4 you can register to be a Member in Practice (MIP). I won't say too much on this as I am not a MIP and there are other students and MIPs who will be better placed to answer your question.

I hope you enjoy studying the AAT and do use the forum if you have any troubles etc. with your studies. We are a friendly bunch and really like to help each other.

Have you decided how you will study this qualification e.g. day release, distance learning etc?

Good luck and enjoy :)

JC
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • janwaljanwal Experienced Mentor Registered Posts: 1,189
    Hi Newlife

You are definately not too old, I started AAT last year at 43 and are 3/4 of the way through level 3, I am at college 1 day a week and our group starts at 17yrs to 59 yrs, so very varied.

I agree the job market is tough at the moment but it is for everyone. I'm hoping by the time I finish AAT things may have altered as I will be moving due to getting married and would love to work in practice.

Good luck and keep us posted how you are doing and fewel free to ask any questions, someone can always help!!

Jan
  • deborahcarpenterdeborahcarpenter Well-Known Registered Posts: 161
    You are definately not too old!!

I started AAT when i was 38 i am now a practising AAT MIP having qualified last year at the age of 40. I now work from home and have an ever growing client list. I am also due to complete ATT in a few weeks time. I was in the motor industry for 20 years previously working 60 hours a week as a service manager for a main dealer and had no accounting back ground what so ever. I only wish i had done it many years ago. You just have to make sure you discipline your self and study hard, it will be worth it in the end.
    Go for it!!!:001_smile:
  • Newlife40Newlife40 Just Joined Registered Posts: 3
    @ Jo clark. Janwal and Deborah,
    Thank you very much for your encouraging words. In fact after reading your comments I just made up my mind to order books now from Amazon.

As I do full time work, and as a family man I only can manage time for distance learning. I am planning to do self-study for Level 2 and 3. Then I will see about L4.

By the way, can I just register and sit for the exam or do I have to go through one of the course provider?

It was really a fine morning today, and your support made the whole day even better.
    Many many thanks again and feels like to create a AAT 40+ club !!!

Cheers.
  • Sheepish93Sheepish93 Feels At Home Registered Posts: 26
    definately not too old :) my mum started when she was around 40 and is now studying CIMA, she too works full time and did the self study route and was happy doing that, the forum helps with any queries i find.

good luck with this all :) its a lovley feeling passing exams and being able to put letters after your name apparently, ive only just received an email saying ive completed level 2 today so other will be able to help with MIP questions :)
    x
  • NicFNicF Well-Known Registered Posts: 108
    If you haven't ordered your books already don't order them from Amazon without checking the providers sites first. I actually found the Osborne books were cheaper direct from the Osborne website than through Amazon. Most of the distance learning providers will let you sit your exams at their centers without you being a student with them, but you will need to be registered with the AAT first and some of the modules are marked by the training providers and not the AAT, so you may need to be signed up with a provider for these modules.
  • MarkTMarkT Trusted Regular Registered Posts: 302
    @ Jo clark. Janwal and Deborah,
    Thank you very much for your encouraging words. In fact after reading your comments I just made up my mind to order books now from Amazon.

As I do full time work, and as a family man I only can manage time for distance learning. I am planning to do self-study for Level 2 and 3. Then I will see about L4.

By the way, can I just register and sit for the exam or do I have to go through one of the course provider?

It was really a fine morning today, and your support made the whole day even better.
    Many many thanks again and feels like to create a AAT 40+ club !!!

Cheers.
    Welcome to the club! Just turned 40 and while I do have 14 years knowledge of accounts, would npt dare to say that 40 is too old to start anew. If anything, I think it would compliment your studies as you can focus a bit more. As for the self study....
    NicF wrote: »
    If you haven't ordered your books already don't order them from Amazon without checking the providers sites first. I actually found the Osborne books were cheaper direct from the Osborne website than through Amazon. Most of the distance learning providers will let you sit your exams at their centers without you being a student with them, but you will need to be registered with the AAT first and some of the modules are marked by the training providers and not the AAT, so you may need to be signed up with a provider for these modules.

NicF is right here, you will need to be registered with the AAT as a student member and for the WEAF level 2 (I think) and SPSW (level 3) and ICAS (level 4) you will need a training provider. I am certain about levels 3 & 4 - but you may need to check with the AAT regarding this.

Either way, you will not regret it, I have picked us some great expert help here and this site really does help :001_smile:
  • Newlife40Newlife40 Just Joined Registered Posts: 3
    MarkT, NicF and Sheepish93,

Thanks for your encouragement. I have got my 3 books from BPP through amazon and 2 books from Osborne.
    At a first glance it seems doable, then again I haven't tried any task yet!

I hope and pray BPP is not going to charge me "an arm and leg" only for two subjects when I register with them to do my WEAF and CBA!

Thanks again for all the info.
  • tillyjbctillyjbc Feels At Home Registered Posts: 46
    Hi Newlife40 and everyone else who has posted on this thread, I've only just seen this one! I too am 40 (plus a couple!) and chose AAT with no previous accounting background. Change of career September, now all 3 sons at school! I have my last exam for Level 2 (CMPA) tomorrow and have started studying AP1&2 for Level 3. Just changed provider to Eagle. In hindsight, could have self-studied Level 2 but you never know how much support you are going to need! I'm sure I'll need more for Level 3!

Look forward to sharing views and receiving good advice and tips on this forum!:001_smile:
  • Clintm15Clintm15 Well-Known FarehamRegistered Posts: 247
    Hi Newlife40,

You are definitely not too old and I implore you to get started as soon as you can. I started AAT 2 years ago with no previous accountancy experience whatsoever. I have never used a training provider to study (other than to use them for project units), I simply buy the books from Osborne and book my exams with BPP when I am ready.

I am now studying level 4 and I couldn't be happier. Good luck on your journey.
    AAT
    Level 2 - 2011
    Level 3 - 2012
    Level 4 - 2013

ACCA
    F4 - Corporate Law - Dec 2015 (passed)
    F5 - Performance Management - Dec 2014 (passed)
    F6 - Taxation - Dec 2013 (passed)
    F7 - Financial Reporting - Jun 2014 (passed)
    F8 - Audit & Assurance - Dec 2015 (passed)
    F9 - Financial Management - Jun 2015 (passed)
  • PGMPGM Font Of All Knowledge Registered Posts: 1,954

I was working in various role in customer service industry for many years. I am literally thinking life begins at 40!

If you consider AAT as adding to the skills you have rather than starting again, it always sounds a lot more positive. I'd imagine you'd have the skills needed to run your own business, being able to deal with customers well.
  • Sammmy88Sammmy88 Trusted Regular Registered Posts: 283
    Age is but a number!! I think you should go for it!
    Level 2 - Passed 2011
    Level 3 - Passed 2012
    Level 4 - Passed 2014

Awaiting to start CIMA :)