Premier or Eagle for AAT Level 2 distance learning???

CountrybumpkinCountrybumpkin Feels At HomeRegistered Posts: 52
Hi,

I'm new to the site and the accounting world so any help would be much appreciated. I'm looking to study AAT level 2 via distance learning but i'm struggling to decide which training provider to use. After looking at a few other posts on here and calling/checking out websites etc its between Premier and Eagle. Just wondered if anyone has any experience of using either company?

Comments

• SashaDellaSashaDella Trusted Regular Registered Posts: 362
    I've just started my AAT level 2 with Premier and they have been good so far. I received my study books the day after I enrolled, and they are fast to reply to emails and quick with marking!

The books they supplied for BA1 and BA2 are okay... I found they had a lot of "babble" but they are simple to follow and do include everything! They are well set out with regular assignments and I found that the timetable they gave me has kept me on track (and you can get it changed anytime you want)

The revision questions are good and relate directly to the reading material.

I never looked into Eagle (but heard a lot of recommendations) and not sure of the prices but Premier cost me £630 for the books and postage.

Distance learning has been really good for me! So good luck with whoever you choose and just get stuck into the books!
  • Sammmy88Sammmy88 Trusted Regular Registered Posts: 283
    Hi, I did my level 2 with Kaplan, but my Level 3 I am doing with Eagle and I cannot say a bad word about them! They are quick to reply to your e-mails and marking papers! Also the material is really good, as you get a study buddy which is like a workbook if you like, that you can write in. So I would recommend Eagle!
    Level 2 - Passed 2011
    Level 3 - Passed 2012
    Level 4 - Passed 2014

Awaiting to start CIMA :)
  • Chimpette22Chimpette22 Feels At Home Registered Posts: 75
    Hi,

I've done level 2 and am currently doing level 3 with Premier Training, and I think they are great. Quick with marking always available if you ring them or email. The only down side would be that sometimes their assignments I found alittle hard to following with the questions, but a quick phone call to my tutor and he soon put me on the right track.

Good luck with whichever one you decide to use :thumbup1:
    Fully AAT qualified July 2015
  • CountrybumpkinCountrybumpkin Feels At Home Registered Posts: 52
    Thanks for your replies, it sounds like both companies would provide a good service.:thumbup1:

I'm pleased that eagle's study buddy got a special mention as that really appealed to me.

Decisions, decisions.....
  • GemmaSGemmaS Well-Known Registered Posts: 178
    Hi, I'm doing my level 2 with Premier training and I am pleased with my decision. The books arrived quickly, they're easy to use and the tutors are quick with marking and helping with problems. Its a tough decision for you but good luck! :D
  • tillyjbctillyjbc Feels At Home Registered Posts: 45
    Hi

I did Level 2 with HLC - they were OK for me but have read lots of criticism on here! My main issue with them was cost, they are much more expensive than some of the others. I moved to Eagle for Level 3 and so far I'm really happy with them! The study buddy is great and my tutor marks assessments promptly and always replies to my emails. I believe Premier and Eagle are similar in cost and both carry good recommendations on here! Good luck!
  • Kris2012Kris2012 New Member Registered Posts: 13
    Hi,

I'm with Premier on Level 2. I received the materials practically next day, which was impressive.
    The material is fine for me. It includes revision guides which, I'm guessing, are the same as the study buddy previously mentioned. Each chapter has plenty of extra questions for you to answer, and you can write in the revision guide.
    Plus, Sage Instant Accounts software is sent, so you can become certified with Sage aswell.
    Thanks for more recommendations. The numbers are swaying me towards premier. I had heard good things about them in another thread but their website looked terribly outdated which put me off signing up in the first place. They were lovely on the phone though.

Kris i noticed that you're based in Wolverhampton which isn't too far away from me and wondered where you sit your exams. The closest test centre i could see on the AAT list is in Birmingham which is about 1hr 30 from me, is that where you go?
  • Kris2012Kris2012 New Member Registered Posts: 13
    I haven't taken any exams yet, as I'm still on assignments ... Either way, I'm not fussed where I have to sit the exams. It sounds like Birmingham though, if you've already checked.

Edit: The site to me seems like a no frills type, which in my opinion I went for as I'm not interested in all the BS. I simply study hard enough and take the exams. I don't want, or need any extras.
    I did go for TLC first, then I found Premier. The price, and attitude towards getting you passed signed the deal for me.
  • Rachie278Rachie278 Feels At Home Registered Posts: 55
    I went with Premier, (i have no reasoning not to have gone with Eagle) but I am more than happy with Premier! I work in customer service so I am more than critical on that at all times but i really can't fault them. They are very approachable, ive found the resources they have sent very good, I am currently revising for BA1 exam and BA2 exam and ive only been doing those sections just over a month. I think it helps to keep you motivated when all my assignments so far have been marked within 24 hours and infact one was marked within half hour, and generally within 12 hours!

Im quite surprised that your exam centres are so far from you though, did you look on AAT and type your postcode in?
    @CountryBumpkin who did you go with in the end?

Sasha
    I opted for Premier in the end. They had plenty of good recommendations, very pleasant on the phone and quick to answer questions/email through further info. I have to say that Eagle also fit the bill and I couldn't fault them so in the end it just came down to a lucky dip/hunch.

At this stage I can't comment on my tutor/course material etc as the courier has just knocked on the door and i'm breaking the seal on the new books now. Everything is present and correct and i'm raring to go, I just hope the baby has a long afternoon nap!

I'll keep you posted, no doubt i'll be on here alot more asking for help/advice
    I should have also mentioned that Premier's website has been given a face lift which did help my decision. While I wasn't looking for any extras, I did think that the cluttered presentation could have been representative of the study material. It was probably the wrong assumption to make because the books/study material that have arrived all look good, clear and well presented but it's a lot of money to be spending and i wanted to make the right decision.

If MWAUGH1983 reads this, you've exceeded your inbox limit so i've been unable to reply to you
    Good luck with your studies :D
    Premier have been good for me so far too, i agree about the website thing as it doesnt make it look very professional! However it also gave me the impression that its a "small company" and felt more personal even if its not.

If you need any help you can PM me :) or ill answer on here of course! We are on the same level and same provider so im sure we both will have some comments/ querys
    Thanks Sasha, i'm sure i'll need plenty of help over the coming weeks and months.
  • Maria90Maria90 Just Joined Registered Posts: 2
    Thinking about Eagle!!!

Hi everyone,

I'v been thinking of studying AAT for a few months and I'm swaying towards Eagle because I like the idea of the study buddy.

I'v been following the discussions for a few weeks to try and help me make a decision... Hard work :001_smile:

Maria
    Whats the study buddy in eagle?
    Any questions I can help :) with regards to general distance learning! What level you looking at?
  • MWAUGH1983MWAUGH1983 Trusted Regular Registered Posts: 420
    Kaplan online or live looks a great bet and im going towards that. They are basically distance learning but the classroom comes to you. I feel employers tend to like the idea of students going to well known providers - not saying all but some people have said this to me and from my experience in interviews it would kinda make sense.
  • tedwalkertedwalker New Member Registered Posts: 10
    Hi,

I'm new to the site and the accounting world so any help would be much appreciated. I'm looking to study AAT level 2 via distance learning but i'm struggling to decide which training provider to use. After looking at a few other posts on here and calling/checking out websites etc its between Premier and Eagle. Just wondered if anyone has any experience of using either company?

I signed up with the Home Learning College, and its been good so far. I had read reviews about them on various forums (both negative and positive) and decided to give them a shot. Surprisingly, their fees were higher than the other colleges, but after investigating around, I found out that their fees were all inclusive and some of the other colleges had advertised only the sign up cost (hence did not include postage, VAT, exam fees, book costs etc). They are quick to reply or answer calls and I have troubled them quite a bit, as I have questions ALL THE TIME! If you are opting for distance learning, then you can safely opt for HLC as they are counted among the best in the UK.
  • Maria90Maria90 Just Joined Registered Posts: 2
    Chosen Eagle :) :)

Thanks for all the replies. I'v chosen to go with Eagle, I received my materials yesterday and it all looks great :)

SashaDella, the study buddy is a folder like a work book. It looks like its got loads of activities in and stuff!

Looking forward to getting started :)
    Good luck with your studies Maria, let us know how you get on!
  • SarahLFSarahLF New Member Registered Posts: 7
    Please would any of you studying with Premier please consider answering any questions my employers may have re training with them. I am really keen to get started on the course (level2) but as the company is paying they would like to get an impartial opinion on Premier as a training provider before they commit. Thank you if you can help.
  • EvieEvie Banned Banned User Posts: 14
    Hi SarahLF, i am studying with Premier and they are really good and i have never had any problems with them. I always get to speak to my tutor whenever i phone and he is really helpful. I did ring round training providers when i was deciding who to go with becuase i wanted to be sure and they did seem the best compared to others. i rang a few times and everytime the girls i spoke to could answer all my questions and were so helpful. Feedback is good from tutors aswell coz they are quick and affective. I hope this helps alittle but if you want to ask anything specific i will try help :) good luck choosing :)