Level 2 beginner - self study?? HELP!

ruthash86ruthash86 Just JoinedPosts: 4Registered
Hi Everyone,

I about to start Level 2 and just wanted to get some advice. The best option for me seems to be to do self study (distance learning = expensive, college courses too slow!)

So am I right in thinking I need to sign up with a training provider for the CBP's - WEAF and CA, but I can study the 3 CBTs by studying the books and take the exams as an external candidate? Looking at previous threads the best option seems to be Kaplan? Are there any others that offer individual units? So based on previous experience of the difficulty of Level 2 and the benefits of distance learning, does this seem like a realistic option?

Im planning on funding the Level 2 myself, only working part-time at the moment so plan to do it as quickly as possible, and then try to find employment in a finance related role. I would then either fund Level 3 myself, or find an employer to fund it as I worked. How often do postions like this come up? Is it more realistic that I would need to fund it myself?

How important is it to be working in a finance related role whist studying AAT? Is work experience easy to come by?

How easy have people found it to find employment as a part-qualified/fully qualified AAT?

I really appreciate any advice you can give :)

Ruth

Comments

• SashaDellaSashaDella Trusted Regular Posts: 362Registered
    Yes you can take the exams as an external candidate and i believe most people do this through kaplan centres.
    I think most learning providers offer them separately, I think it also depends what is nearest you? So I would check the aat website in regards.

I would start looking now for employment as alot of people have had difficulty looking for jobs. The employer may fund it depending on your wage etc but it would be worth just applying for anything related and see what options you have an the interview. The more open minded you are the more likely you are to get a foot in the door!

I would say being in a related role is very helpful and is more attractive to employers. You wouldnt want to do the whole aat and then not be able to find a job because you lack "real" experience. You could also try work experience for free while you work part time. this will be a very good bonus on your CV!!

They were many jobs about but I found over 100 applicants for every vacancy so you really have to stand out!

Hope I've helped a tad and good luck!!
  • Clintm15Clintm15 Well-Known FarehamPosts: 247Registered
    Hi Ruth,

I completed levels 2, 3 and I am currently studying level 4 through self study. I have never work in an Accountancy or Finance role. My experience has been that self study is great fun and really fulfilling. I simply buy my books from Osborne and book my exams with BPP. This method I find convenient and affordable (project units can be quite expensive though I might add).

Good luck on your journey

Clint
    AAT
    Level 2 - 2011
    Level 3 - 2012
    Level 4 - 2013

ACCA
    F4 - Corporate Law - Dec 2015 (passed)
    F5 - Performance Management - Dec 2014 (passed)
    F6 - Taxation - Dec 2013 (passed)
    F7 - Financial Reporting - Jun 2014 (passed)
    F8 - Audit & Assurance - Dec 2015 (passed)
    F9 - Financial Management - Jun 2015 (passed)
  • AbelAbel Feels At Home Posts: 46Registered
    Hello Ruth. First things first, have you considered anything else besides college or self study? There is also apprenticeship. Earn while you learn and it is faster then college. However, at my last college they have told me that they could book me in earlier if i am confident i can pass my exam. So if you go to a college and speak with your possible accounting teacher he might let you do the exams faster.
    I myself started at college, but then changed to apprenticeship and still found that it takes too long to finish the course. Now i have just BA2 and WEAF exams to sit, and i told them i want the books to revise at home. So you could try doing that too. Good luck and let us know what you chose :)