ACCA...going alone!

peaceb4peaceb4 Settling In NicelyPosts: 15Registered
Has/Is anyone done ACCA without using a learning provider and going it alone with just the study material? How did you find it, how many exams per sitting did you feel comfortable doing?

I ask, because Im struggling to find a provider which is reasonable. As i have a degree already there is no possiblity of getting a student loan to cover tuition fees at 8,000!

Confused and determined Level 4 AAT student!

Comments

• SandyHoodSandyHood Font Of All Knowledge Posts: 2,034Registered, Moderator
    Dear peaceb4
    There are many self-studying students preparing for ACCA exams.
    You enter the exams and you take control in terms of your preparation. There is no need to have a college involved. If you find a topic difficult, there are plenty of colleges able to provide just that.
    I run P5 and P9 classes and often find I have a revision day (or two) prior to each diet of exams. At such events, I'll invariably have a group of candidates. Many have studied from books but without either classroom or distance learning support.

I also offer a marked work service. This is formative, so invariable has quite a lot of feedback on it.
    BPP and Kaplan offer a practice question day, I recommend these. You would go to a hall and just work through one exam question after another. These are marked on the day (not detailed feedback, but clear marks to show how many marks you would have achieved in an exam). Worth thinking about.

If you are very clever, you won't need any extra help, but I think the variety of services on offer are good for someone who wants to do the majority of the learning alone. It is rather like taking a family to a food court, you can have something from here, something else from there and perhaps bring a tupperware tub of the rest that you brought from home.
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
  • peaceb4peaceb4 Settling In Nicely Posts: 15Registered
    Thank you....you know when your determined to get something done but obstacles come your way!

I just wanted to know if there was light at the end of the tunnel going down this route. which books would be reccomended?
  • Rozzi RainbowRozzi Rainbow Trusted Regular Posts: 465Registered
    Hi Peaceb4

I have self studied for some of the F level papers and passed the exams. I found it ok, but I needed to be disciplined to get through all the material in time to allow sufficient time for revision before the exam. I took one or two papers per sitting - the times I took two papers were where I had self studied for one and studied one at college, I wouldn't have felt confident taking two papers in one go both from self study. (That's not to say that's not possible though.)

I studied from BPP textbooks and would recommend those. I haven't used Kaplan, so they may be just as good. I think for those people who struggled with AAT, self studying ACCA would be a challenge, but if you feel confident with AAT then go for it! If after one or two sittings you find you are struggling as a self studier, then you could consider the other options available.

Good luck!
  • RichardRichard Trusted Regular Posts: 373Registered
    Have you tried the Opentuition website? They provide free online lectures and classnotes for the majority of the ACCA papers.

I self studied for F4 & F5, then used BPP online classroom for the other papers.

I attended a revision course for F4 as I wasn't very confident of passing the exam.

F5 was no problem as it covers a lot of the topics you will already be familiar with from AAT costing papers.

F6 tax is very similar to the AAT tax papers, and F7 largely carries on where the old AAT Unit 11 DFS (don't know what the equivalent paper is now called since it all changed!!) finishes.
  • peaceb4peaceb4 Settling In Nicely Posts: 15Registered
    Thank you guys, very informative! Will check out this OpenTuition site...SOUNDS GOOD TO ME!! i think i may try the first 2 papers alone then hopefully by then the cash flow will be MUCH better and study with a provider!
  • mini_schnauzermini_schnauzer Trusted Regular Posts: 347Registered
    I have self studied ACCA via Kaplan study texts and frequent visits to Open Tutition site, and online tutorial videos from various study providers.

I have passed all F papers so far (just sat F8 re-sit and hoping for a pass). It has taken me 4 exam sessions to achieve this on my own (Dec 10, June 11, Dec 11 and June 12) - so it is possible to do.

However, I am now sitting P2 tomorrow - but I feel very worried and know that I haven't got a hope in passing! But I have paid for the exam so I will sit and have a go at it.

I think the Professional papers need additional help - so I will book myself onto a revision course ahead of my re-sit in Dec 12 for this paper - or the beast as others have called it! (i think they are right).
  • RichardRichard Trusted Regular Posts: 373Registered
    However, I am now sitting P2 tomorrow - but I feel very worried and know that I haven't got a hope in passing! But I have paid for the exam so I will sit and have a go at it.

I think the Professional papers need additional help - so I will book myself onto a revision course ahead of my re-sit in Dec 12 for this paper - or the beast as others have called it! (i think they are right).

Good luck tomorrow!

I think most people feel like that before P2. I was convinced I'd failed when I did mine last year, but when the results came out I'd passed with 58%!

I didnt understand most of the questions, and actually considered not answering any of it as it looked so hard. In the end I just wrote a load of waffle which made no sense! I've heard that it is very generously marked though.

If all else fails write down as many definitions you can think of that apply to the question. They're usually worth a mark or two even if you don't know how to apply them.
  • Rozzi RainbowRozzi Rainbow Trusted Regular Posts: 465Registered

This is very helpful to me, thank you. Best of luck with the P2 exam tomorrow! It's encouraging for me to see you have self studied for P2, as this is an option I'm considering, although I'm aware it won't be easy and may not be the best option. I'd be interested to hear how you get on. Part of me is thinking just to bite the bullet and go to BPP, but part is thinking I might give it one attempt to self study, and then if I don't pass or get very near, consider BPP then. Then I've given it a go and only wasted one exam fee and six months study....
  • katsutlieffkatsutlieff Trusted Regular Posts: 459Registered
    I am about to send off the enrolment papers for evening classes for the ACCA starting September. I am glad I found this thread.

I enrolled for the Level 4 of the AAT as I thought I wouldn't be able to complete the whole level within a year on my own. I have enjoyed studying at college and it has been good in terms of making me finish the level this year. But I haven't been in to college for a couple of months and have done FNPF and Budgeting pretty much on my own.

I am wavering as it whether I give ACCA a go on my own. The college spend the first term covering F4 and then the two terms next year studying F5 and F6. I am going to buy the books and have a go over the summer with F4 if I struggle I will enrol then.

I think with all the online help and additional services provided by Sandy Hood and the learning providers I feel fairly confident I can manage it. I start a new full time job in three weeks time working alongside the FD who is ACCA qualified so I can always bend his ear

Thank you for this thread