Home For AAT student members AQ 2013 AAT Level 2 (Level 5 in Scotland)

Level 2 exams coming. Do I have to buy extra workbooks for practising?

EricaChenEricaChen New MemberRegistered Posts: 13
I have booked exams for BA1,BA2 & BC for end of this month, WEAF & CA next month. So far I have done some practices provided by my training provider HLC and from AAT Green Light test area. Just wonder if this is enough or do I have to buy extra books and workbooks for revision? I'm currently not working and don't want to spend more money if not necessary. Any advice?
Or can anybody lend me or sell me theirs? I would like to try out Osborne books if possible.
Thanks

Comments

• Jason1984Jason1984 New Member Registered Posts: 6
    How confident do you feel about the exams? Did you do well in the Green Light test area? The fact that you're asking leads me to believe it might be a good idea to get an extra workbook.
  • GemmaSGemmaS Well-Known Registered Posts: 178
    Hi,

Its always daunting when faced with new exams. Just make sure you go over you books and try to understand the theory behind why you are doing things. Have you tried the online CBA's on the AAT website? These are very good for your confidence, as the format for these are almost identical to the live exams you will be sitting. The good thing about the CBA's is that you can print out the answers and check them as you go along so you know how you're doing...... just don't cheat! ;) lol

Is there any area you feel a bit unsure about? I have found lots of really helpful videos on YouTube which really helped me get to grips with the theory behind double entries and debits and credits. You could try watching some of those. Also there are some test on the osbourne website here:

http://www.osbornebooks.co.uk/elearning

I think if you spend the time having a look online then chances are there isn't much need to buy extra books. I was nervous before my first 2 exams (BA1&2) so I went out and bought the Kaplan books as extra revision. They did help a bit as I was after the extra exercise to work through, however I feel that I gained more by spending some time on the internet.....

Here is a video I found which explains debits and credits really well.... the guy is american and uses slightly different terminology than is taught at level 2, however the terms do come up in level 3 so might as well learn them now!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgmsodgMdp0

There are some other really helpful ones.... just go digging around for whatever you feel you need to brush up on...
    Even if you feel happy with a subject it is always good to get a different perspective on it!

So my advice is..... do some surfing, watch some videos, go through the osbourne tests, do the practice CBA's and then go back and re study anything these test show up as a possible weak area.

Good luck and I'm sure you'll be fine!

Gemma x
  • SashaDellaSashaDella Trusted Regular Registered Posts: 362
    Have you used any books at all?

Osbourne books are really good... I have BA1, BA2 and BC osbourne and have just passed the exams. They were the most helpful for me.
  • EricaChenEricaChen New Member Registered Posts: 13
    Thanks Gemmas and everybody else.
    I normally get 80% or 90% from Green Light tests so I thought I might be OK for the exams. Just not sure if Osborne workbooks cover some completely different questions that might appear in real exams.
    I will try to get some cheap used workbooks for practice; otherwise I will use internet and re-study my text books just like Gemmas suggested. Thanks.
  • SashaDellaSashaDella Trusted Regular Registered Posts: 362
    The exam on the AAT is pretty much identical to the real exam. Thats how it was for me. So as long as your passing those 100% and understanding where you make the mistakes you should be okay.

Good Luck!
  • EricaChenEricaChen New Member Registered Posts: 13
    It seems that there are only so many questions keep repeating in Green Light. That's what made me wonder if I need some workbooks. But I think it's a good idea to re-study text books and try to understand everything there.