Home For AAT student members AQ 2013 AAT Level 2 (Level 5 in Scotland)
Current updates regarding coronavirus (Covid-19) and the precautions AAT are taking will be continually updated on the below page.

Please check this link for the latest updates:
We hope you are all safe and well and if you need us we will be here. 💚

Bookkeeping career

Fran0240Fran0240 New MemberRegistered Posts: 12
Hi Everyone,

After some long thought and going through my basic accounting books, i'm really looking into gaining part/full time employment doing bookkeeping/Accounts assistant. I would have gone with another organisational body but noticed employers seem to look higher at the AAT qualification. Is it a requirement to do level 3 & 4? If not out of these options which do you think would benefit me the best?

1) AAT bookkeeping and a sage software package
2) AAT level 2
3) AAT level 2/ sage payroll, sage line 50 or both

Comments

• Fran0240Fran0240 New Member Registered Posts: 12
    Anyone?
  • bladesmanbladesman Settling In Nicely Registered Posts: 17
    Hi,

i am new to studying AAT, but I know from my current role AAT is highly looked at for alot of roles. Alot of jobs for book keeping look for a Level 2 qualification, in AAT terms this would mean doing the whole of the foundation certificate. This would make you more employable to do a finance assistant role.

If you do level 2, you will cover the following subjects:

1) Basic Accounting I
    2) Basic Accounting II
    3) Computerised Accounting (SAGE essentially)
    4)WEAF (Working Effectively)
    5) Basic Costing

so looking at those 5 modules and what you have listed I would say option 2 first, then if more payroll is required look at option 3, or possibly do AAT level 3.

Do not go out and buy SAGE it is highly expensive and if it is purely for learning I would let your college/course provider let you use their licence.

Hope this helps.
  • Fran0240Fran0240 New Member Registered Posts: 12
    Thank-you bladesman, that helped alot
  • uknittyuknitty Experienced Mentor Registered Posts: 591
    If you study with Premier Training they provide a 6 month Sage Trial and also Sage Certification as part of their distance learning package.

Personally I don't feel that there is any benefit form undertaking training in specific accounting software as different businesses will have their own preferred packages. It is true that Sage is very popular, but I wouldn't get too focused on that brand at this stage.

My advice, focus on stage 2, try and take on a few clients to build work experience. Voluntary work for community organisations and charities is a good starting point for many people. Check out doit.org for volunteering opportunities.

Let us know how you get on
  • bladesmanbladesman Settling In Nicely Registered Posts: 17
    Fran0240 wrote: »
    Thank-you bladesman, that helped alot

you are welcome. Good luck with everything